Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-03-2008, 17:21   #1

bad advertising

the goverment are going on about under age drinking,
yet today i passed st christophers high school and on the bus shelter right out side the school two five foot by three foot advertisments for bulmers cider. whats next free sampels as they leave school.
pam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-03-2008, 18:04   #2
God Member

Re: bad advertising

moorhead were so appauled by these adverts been so near to them that they demolished half their school and relocated 500 yards away

st christophers should do the same

anyway if you remove these adverts what are the drug dealers outside the school supposed to lean on?
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 18:19   #3
God Member

It is like the government budget, 14p on wine, 4p on beer (8p per litre), which I suspect is the favoured tipple of more adults than children, but the childrens favourites, alcopops not touched (apparently due to legalities) and only 3p on a litre of cider!
Old 13-03-2008, 18:31   #4
God Member

3p on a litre of cider?

its getting closer and closer to £3 for 2 litres and once it hits the £3 mark no one will be able to afford cider , not even kids

mind you part of me is amazed that there is actualy a liquid in this country more expensive than diesel and petrol
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 18:31   #5
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
It is like the government budget, 14p on wine, 4p on beer (8p per litre), which I suspect is the favoured tipple of more adults than children, but the childrens favourites, alcopops not touched (apparently due to legalities) and only 3p on a litre of cider!
That's a very good point actually!! When alco pops first came out, I remember them being quite expensive. Now they are dirt cheap. They are like the white lightening and MD 20/20 of my era

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 19:53   #6

Lager bought in a pub is TWENTY quid a gallon so I'm going to start drinking 4 Star.
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 20:55   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky View Post
That's a very good point actually!! When alco pops first came out, I remember them being quite expensive. Now they are dirt cheap. They are like the white lightening and MD 20/20 of my era
Still don't think you'll beat Smartprice Lager

Which actually doesn't taste that bad, had it at leeds fest last year where you could swap any unopened can of beer for a cold carling - and we prefered the smartprice
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2008, 22:34   #8
Loz

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky View Post
Yeah alcopops were expensive,i remember me and my mates had to save up for ages and club all our money together to buy a few but now they are dirt cheap!
In all seriousness though this is just another example of the goverment promising one thing and doing another,if they really wanted to put a stop to underage drinking they would have put prices up like they said but no they are all mouth and no trousers.
Old 14-03-2008, 10:38   #9
Resting in Peace

The trouble is they are targeting beer and wine, but kids don't drink these things, its the ordinary working man that suffers every time. I can remember only a few years ago when your local pub, frequented by people who wanted a quite drink at weekends, had to closed at 11pm and if you were there after 11.30pm the police were there telling the landlord to clear the pub, yet a guys teen son or daughter could go down Accy Centre and drink while 1 or 2 in a morning. The best idea I have herd and tackling binge drinking is not to tax by the pint r the bottle but by the unit, thereforer a 2 litre bottle of cider would be out of reach of young binge drinkers, in some places at the moment you can pick up bottle of cider for less than a pound, so 4p on a bottle is not going to deter anyone
Old 14-03-2008, 10:51   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

its another feeble attempt to con the public,they are actually tackling this problem,they were NEVER gonna price Blairs kids out of a good night out.
Old 14-03-2008, 15:12   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamF View Post
Still don't think you'll beat Smartprice Lager

Which actually doesn't taste that bad, had it at leeds fest last year where you could swap any unopened can of beer for a cold carling - and we prefered the smartprice
I've noticed students drinking that stuff, also Leeds isn't going to be sponsored by Carling this year apparently... so no more swapping beers even if we wanted to.

I don't think getting rid of advertisement is going to stop students thinking about alcohol, just as banning contraception wouldn't stop them thinking about sex. They'll know it exists regardless. I think it's pointless to try and avoid advertisements, but they best thing to do is to educate pupils on the negativities surrounded by alcohol use.

I've seen schemes where long term offenders visit schools and do talks on how scary prison can be, with the aims of making the children just think about the consequences of breaking the law rather than focussing on particular crimes.

Also drugs talks often revolve around someone who's lost a family member through drug use, or role reversal to someone who used drugs and lost everything they had, whether it be family, career etc.

Better to face up to things than pretend it doesn't exist.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..