Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2009, 07:23   #16
God Member

Re: Bad Manners

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
I don't think there is anyone else that old on the site
Hey, bud. I'm a '45 ... and I'm still kicking .... older than dirt I may be, but I still lead an active life, and still regard viagara as something the other guy needs.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-12-2009, 07:38   #17
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

I don't think anyone should be able to stand on a bus. All passengers should be seated and there should be seat belts on every seat. Babies are a difficult one as they are very vulnerable if the bus crashes but providing baby seats on buses would be difficult.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:40   #18
Resting in Peace

Some of the little red buses the M&M ones do have seat belts and there are notices saying seat belts must be worn but people take no notice i have never seen anyone use them
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:25   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Many years ago the buses used to have signs on them, that told the youngsters that they had to offer their seat to a 'full' fare paying passenger at busy times when the bus was full.
Please would someone of my generation confirm this.......just so that I know I haven't dreamed this!
PS.....my generation is the 1947 babies
You are right Margaret, that notice was displayed well into the seventies.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:01   #20
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

as others have said, was brought up, to give up my seat to women/disabled etc, still use the bus occasionally n still do, whilst i see what steeljack says about the family car being only form of transport etc, theres more to it than that i think, Bottom Line= its down to example taught by Mum n Dad, (Good Parenting) and sadly quite a few have missed the bus.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:09   #21
God Member

I don't know about giving their seats up, they don't even wait in the queue some of the time. Was waiting for the bus with my Mum last year and two women (took them to be a mother and daughter with baby in pram) just calmly walked up just as the bus pulled into the bus station and got on ignoring the rest of us in the queue. They were not the type of people you would pull up about it neither, well not if you valued your safety. Some people just follow the example they are set unfortunately.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:16   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
I don't know about giving their seats up, they don't even wait in the queue some of the time. Was waiting for the bus with my Mum last year and two women (took them to be a mother and daughter with baby in pram) just calmly walked up just as the bus pulled into the bus station and got on ignoring the rest of us in the queue. They were not the type of people you would pull up about it neither, well not if you valued your safety. Some people just follow the example they are set unfortunately.
Same thing happened to me in Watford........waiting quite patiently for the bus (which was late) there were a few old ladies, some young lads and girls, just before the bus arrived a woman (slapper, actually and her teenage son) got to the stop and walked straight to the front of the queue and got straight onto the bus as soon as it stopped......nobody said a word to them so think it is a common occurance do there, so I keep quiet as well, not gonna get into a fight the day before I'm coming home
Old 03-12-2009, 09:25   #23
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royboy39 View Post
You are right Margaret, that notice was displayed well into the seventies.
I got on a bus in Aberdeen that displayed a sign proclaiming (DOGS MUST BE CARRIED)

The conductor was not amused when I said,Where am I going to find a dog at this time of night.

OK Start the car.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:40   #24
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
I got on a bus in Aberdeen that displayed a sign proclaiming (DOGS MUST BE CARRIED)

The conductor was not amused when I said,Where am I going to find a dog at this time of night.

OK Start the car.
The engines already running Beni
Old 03-12-2009, 10:29   #25

As the "youngest pensioner" on here, i was, obviously, born in 1949, lived in London, i remember seeing signs on buses for children paying half fare to give their seat up for mums with young children and older people. Have only lived in Spain for two months and have seen respect for the older people from the younger generation, sometimes if they forget their manners, the elders give them a real telling off and the younger stand there and accept the telling off even if the elder is not related and there is no verbal profanity returned. I admire the Spanish youngsters.
vera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:40   #26
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vera View Post
As the "youngest pensioner" on here, i was, obviously, born in 1949, lived in London, i remember seeing signs on buses for children paying half fare to give their seat up for mums with young children and older people. Have only lived in Spain for two months and have seen respect for the older people from the younger generation, sometimes if they forget their manners, the elders give them a real telling off and the younger stand there and accept the telling off even if the elder is not related and there is no verbal profanity returned. I admire the Spanish youngsters.
i found just the same when i lived oer yon, they could teach us a thing or two about respect n manners.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:49   #27
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i found just the same when i lived oer yon, they could teach us a thing or two about respect n manners.
Stop moaning you old git
Old 03-12-2009, 11:50   #28

Oi, respect for others!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
vera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 16:47   #29
God Member

have things changed becuse iv always thought that half fare paying child passenges were expected to give up their seats for full paying customers.

putting the should someone give up their seat issue asside should a bus driver be allowing people not sturdy on their feet onto a bus knowing that they will be standing up while teh bus is in motion

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 16:53   #30
white rabbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Many years ago the buses used to have signs on them, that told the youngsters that they had to offer their seat to a 'full' fare paying passenger at busy times when the bus was full.
Please would someone of my generation confirm this.......just so that I know I haven't dreamed this!
PS.....my generation is the 1947 babies
absolutely right Margaret,but a lot of water has gone under the bridge since then,,,,and it seems to have washed all respect and manners downstream,,,,,

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..