Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-12-2010, 05:37   #1
God Member

Bangladesh uses prisoners to carry out executions

Not sure how I feel about this story from the BBC world news web-site

BBC News - Bangladeshi TV station told not to show hangman series

seems the prison service in Bangladesh use "trained" prisoners to carry out executions and give the 'executioners' time off(remission) from their sentences for each hanging.
Now I know we have a pro and con members on Accy web about the merits of the death penalty, but this I find totally bizarre , I'm sure some of us think that certain folks should be at the end of a rope but the idea that folks of the likes of Peter Sutcliffe/Leslie Nielson or Myra Hindley (ok I know she's dead) could be in charge of carrying out the ultimate penalty and earning time off for good behaviour sounds a bit strange to me, or maybe they only train/use 'nice' murderers

personally I think the story is nothing more than part of the BBCs uber liberal agenda ... but intersting non the less

any comments ..... thanks
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-12-2010, 06:45   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Bangladesh uses prisoners to carry out executions

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
folks of the likes of Peter Sutcliffe/Leslie Nielson or Myra Hindley
I know Airplane and Naked Gun weren't exactly masterpieces of the cinema, but hardly bad enough to put the poor guy in the same company of mass murderers?

I think you mean Donald Nielson.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2010, 08:49   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
I know Airplane and Naked Gun weren't exactly masterpieces of the cinema, but hardly bad enough to put the poor guy in the same company of mass murderers?

I think you mean Donald Nielson.
Your right gynn Leslie Neison shoud have been shot
Old 29-12-2010, 09:39   #4
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

"Trustees" the British Prison service used to appoint some inmates into positions of authority/responsibility to assist in day to day running of things like Kitchen help, Library, or work gangs when that used to happen (Not sure if it still does). Those appointed were those who'd committed a minor crime & those deemed non threatening/violent.

I think any such prisoners used as stand in Hangmen would be vetted & assessed for suitability & would also probably receive certain perks (extra to the mentioned remission time) for doing such "unpleasant" tasks.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2010, 10:04   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
"Trustees" the British Prison service used to appoint some inmates into positions of authority/responsibility to assist in day to day running of things like Kitchen help, Library, or work gangs when that used to happen (Not sure if it still does). Those appointed were those who'd committed a minor crime & those deemed non threatening/violent.
This still happens. I had cause a couple of years ago to visit someone in prison. There was a cafeteria in the visiting hall, with low risk inmates helping with the cooking and serving. I noticed that all the knives they used all had a hook on the wall with their outline drawn around them. Just in case anyone was tempted to takeone back to their cell!
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2010, 15:27   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Your right gynn Leslie Neison shoud have been shot

I never trusted that Liam Neeson

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..