Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-04-2005, 21:00   #1

Angry Being charged for marching on St George's Day

this is scandalas.... i am with the scout's and find it disgracefull that the councle are charging us to march on the day of our saint is this another scam to gain money???????

are they going to charge for us to march on rememberance sunday as well????????
Old 14-04-2005, 21:19   #2
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Being charged for marching on St George's Day

Can you explain a bit more please Dean so we understand better
Old 14-04-2005, 21:23   #3
Always EVIL within us

Exactly who is being charged, by whom ...and for what reason Dean? Is the march organised by the Scout movement, the district or just one troop and are the church involved ie: Does the march terminate at a church?

This is something I have never come across before and I wonder if it is even legal to charge an organisation for a march.

Tell the council (H.B.C.??) that it is NOT a march but a demonstration by a minority group complaining about the lack of respect shown to St. George!! You might get a grant from the community fund then instead of paying out
Old 14-04-2005, 21:28   #4
Senior Member+

Come on Dean;give us the details.My daughter's Brownie Pack have marched on several occasions like this and never been charged to my knowledge>
Old 14-04-2005, 21:38   #5
Resident Waffler

Yes please explain more Dean. How on earth can they charge you for marching? Is it supposed to cover costs of policing the route or something?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2005, 21:56   #6
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

We scared him off in chat.
Old 14-04-2005, 21:57   #7
Senior Member+

This is very interesting;having been in Venture Scouts and little one is a Brownie,I have heard nothing about this!

Last edited by lindsay ormerod; 14-04-2005 at 21:59.
lindsay ormerod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2005, 21:58   #8
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

It is a money making scam for Peter Britcliffe's County Councillor campaign.
Old 14-04-2005, 22:02   #9
Resident Waffler

Maybe he's trying to raise enough so they can afford to take the Christmas lights down.

Old 14-04-2005, 22:06   #10
Always EVIL within us

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
We scared him off in chat.
Don't worry Dean, if you are right, it is quite scandalous and if you misheard a conversation or maybe mis-understood, no harm done We all like to get our hackles up given the chance,especially against the H.B.C.
Old 15-04-2005, 06:02   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean
this is scandalas.... i am with the scout's and find it disgracefull that the councle are charging us to march on the day of our saint is this another scam to gain money???????

are they going to charge for us to march on rememberance sunday as well????????
Clearly Dean has not won his spelling badge yet.

Seriously though, this probably has more to do with the council wishing to avoid paying the police to shepherd the parade through our busy, bustling town centre. One would think that the council would be falling over themselves to encourage organisations such as the Scouts which help keep the little darlings occupied and out of trouble. Or perhaps it is felt that such a blatant display of nationalism might upset the sensibilities of our ethnic bretheren and so every effort is being made to discourage the parade.
Old 15-04-2005, 06:15   #12

thank's for that bob and i'm proud of it
Old 15-04-2005, 06:26   #13

Post Re: Being charged for marching on St George's Day

sorry i couldn't reply last night i was in bed ready for getting up at 5.40 this morning

i'm not fully sure wat is going on but i have heared that this year we are not going to march we are just walking it to the church for the service there seem's no point in traveling to the location of the march (i don't know where it is this year) for just a church sevice. all i have heared is that the council in that area are charging the scout group as the Nothern West Section's to march on the road and i find this awfull esp. as i am ment to be gaining the highest award in scouts on this day (THE ST GEORGE AWARD) whiuch i have worked very hard for.

i think the council are charging us for police patrol???????

don't know wat for they only stop traffic but if we're walking on tyhe road in the first place traffic is going to stop any way

hope that's some help if u want to know more just ask, but i'll be away untill monday as i'm not in college all today and not in college all weekend so can't be fully accessible to the net.

will try get on at home though

DEAN
Old 15-04-2005, 06:27   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Maybe he's trying to raise enough so they can afford to take the Christmas lights down.
May be LOL
Old 15-04-2005, 06:57   #15
Resident Waffler

I presume that even if you are marching along the road and traffic is waiting behind you, you will also need to cross other roads and perhaps the police stop traffic at such points so that you get chance to get across all in one.

We had an experience at the last Carnival crossing Eastgate going up Whalley Road. We just got across in fits and starts and had to rush to catch up with each other which was quite a challenge for people playing instruments. It was an absolutely roasting hot day too which didn't help. The group we were in was quite far back and the cumulative effect of all this "catch up dashing" meant that we ended up charging up Whalley Road at full tilt and by the time we got to the hospital it's a wonder we weren't admitted!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..