Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2008, 13:12   #1
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Big Brother draws ever closer.

From March 31 councils will be allowed to use CCTV cameras to detect parking offences or moving traffic offences like jumping red lights or being stopped in a box junction or drifting into a bus lane.

Millions of motorists are likely to incur parking fines without realising it after being caught on CCTV. But it was alleged that the CCTV cameras would not be able to ‘see’ a displayed Blue Badge.

The first that a motorist will know about his offence is when a letter drops through the door two or three weeks after the event. How many people will be able to remember the alleged offence so that they can make a challenge to the ticket?

According to the Highway Code single and double yellow lines mean NO PARKING. They do not mean NO STOPPING unless a nearby plaque states so. As I understand it you can stop on a single or double yellow line to disembark or embark a passenger and I believe you have up to 2 minutes to drop off or pick up. What you cannot do is vacate your car to post a letter, attend an ATM etc. If you, as the driver, vacate the car it is parked.

So my question is - how will a still camera be able to distinguish between a car stopping from one parking?
Old 04-03-2008, 14:17   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Big Brother draws ever closer.

answer - the camera will be running for hours not 2 mins, don't particularly like the idea, but not one i'd get me knickers in a knot over.
Old 04-03-2008, 14:22   #3
Member.

Bloody hell, I thought you ment that crap on the telly..

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 16:58   #4
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
You and me alike Doug, you beat me to it
Old 04-03-2008, 18:32   #5
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
I am glad he didn't. Last thing we want is that back on again. Does anyone really like that?
Old 04-03-2008, 19:56   #6
God Member

I thought this was a good idea, because it does at least solve the problem of parking attendents preying on drivers, waiting for them to park and walk away from the vehicle before issuing a ticket. If your caught parking where you shouldnt park, then how can u complain?

I don't know enough about it to comment on blue badge holders and how it'll work for them, but generally I think its a good idea.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 22:18   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
I thought this was a good idea, because it does at least solve the problem of parking attendents preying on drivers, waiting for them to park and walk away from the vehicle before issuing a ticket. If your caught parking where you shouldnt park, then how can u complain?

I don't know enough about it to comment .
i aint having that.
Old 05-03-2008, 12:02   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
You and me alike Doug, you beat me to it
me three.. gutted thought I'd missed something Lol

.. "The more u see the less u know. The less u find out as u go." 'Sir Bono'

WalkOnBRFC is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..