Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-08-2005, 16:29   #16
God Member

Re: Blow it all?

SPEND! SPEND! SPEND!

and marry a rich sugar Daddy to pick up the bill

now were did I go wrong?
Old 21-08-2005, 16:38   #17
white rabbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by chav1
suppose its best to ask those who are living on their pensions but those who i know who saved money and have pensions loose out considerably compared to those who did nothing and get state pension
thats it in a nutshell
Old 21-08-2005, 16:50   #18
God Member

I say spend it all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! spend it now while we have the chance.
slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2005, 17:00   #19
I am Banned

its all well and good having money in you 80's but you can have more fun with it when your younger

no offence to the elderly of course but at 80 i dont think my body could hold up to the abuse i currently give it lol
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2005, 17:15   #20
God Member

I tend to do a bit of both, I put a bit away but like to spend as well, most of the time I think you should live for today cause you might not be here tomorrow!
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2005, 17:42   #21
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I also do a bit of both. I love my holidays and that is what I work for. I also manage to save a bit and I have contributed for 18 years so far to the NHS pension. I only save because I'll be damned if I am working full time frontline NHS over the age of 55. I don't give a fig what the government say. I will have savings by then and will be retiring, even if I have to wait 10 years to get my pension...

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2005, 19:20   #22
Beacon of light

I am from a poor family......we were always scrimping for things. My parents frequently didn't know where the next penny was coming from.......even though they both worked.
With 7 of us it was hard to make ends meet. My dear old Dad died 6 weeks after Mum retired. So all the things they planned to do were out of the window. I have always saved, but like lettie......I worked to get a decent pension and I have travelled extensively.
I don't want to rely on benefits to keep me in my old age......but it IS unfair that those who have not thought about their twilight years will be provided for.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2005, 20:00   #23
Give, give, give member

I know where you are coming from Marg about not wanting to live on benefits when you are older. I played the game and took advice, and paid into a private pension for many years.

Last year though, aged thirty nine, to be told I won't be able to work again, I realised I had no choice but to get used to living on benefits.

After a great deal of fighting on my part, including having to undergo an independant medical, I managed to persuade the pension company to release my pension earlier than I had anticipated.

Of all the thousands of pounds I'd paid in, I get £200 per year, guaranteed for five years after which it will go down. By the time I'm sixty five it will probably buy me a newspaper.

I don't know if I'm sad or happy I didn't blow the thousands I paid into my pension, slightly more and it would have affected the benefits I receive now.

I'll be quiet happy in the poorhouse, as long as we don't have to play bingo.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2005, 20:36   #24
Beacon of light

Garinda, i think your situation is different.......and I don't begrudge a penny that is drawn by people who have a real need......however, there are some people who have NEVER contributed......and I can think of one family where 3 generations have lived on benefits ALL their lives, they go on holidays, all of them seem to have mobile phones...they seem to go short of nothing.......now I DO begrudge them taking out of the pot when they have never paid into the system.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2005, 21:54   #25
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazf
H R try this it might be what your looking for http://www.tampabayhomesforyou.com

Cheers for that Bazf, but not in a position to do anything about buying property at this moment in time but its certainly my long term objective. I'm still relatively a young un so I think I have time on my side.

"Bus...? what bus??? aaagggghhhhh......"

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2005, 22:07   #26

Don't mention saving.Two days ago I had £1,000 in one of my savings accounts so I decided to get some more premium bonds instead of it lying there with pathetic interest .At least I have a chance of winning some money with no loss.The day after, my car became fatally ill.Sods law.Now i'm without transport and not enough cash to buy something decent.But hey that's life(and it's bad english to start a sentence with "but",I know.)Always look on the bright side of life springs to mind(Thanks Mr Eric Idle)
PILKYBUSDRIVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2005, 09:32   #27
Give, give, give member

You can cash in your premium bonds if you get a form from the P.O.

It may be even more of sods law if they come up next month Pilky, and you've sent them back though!

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2005, 11:07   #28

Somewhere along the line there is a happy medium when it comes to balancing out what to spend and what to save. In younger life with children to look after etc. it is sometimes almost impossible to put anything away for retirement. However, it is important that you plan so you can achieve the lifestyle that you want in retirement and when the kids have left home, it becomes easier to do this. Of course, some of us will not make it past 65 or whatever, or we'll pass away soon after we end our working life. "Always look on the bright side" is a good maxim though, plan as though you're going to live to at least 80. After that, when the money has run out, yes, let the state look after you for all the hard work you have put in throughout your life.

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2005, 11:18   #29
white rabbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda

It may be even more of sods law if they come up next month Pilky, and you've sent them back though!
we got some £1 premium bonds in1961 when we got married ,i am so tempted to trade them in ,along with other low value ones,but sod's law say's if we do ,they will turn up trumps..
Old 22-08-2005, 15:28   #30
I am Banned

being young im still in two minds about saving or not, like people say you only live once and who knows you could die tomorrow, so i then go on a major spending spree. then when ive spent up i feel terribly guilty! why? why should i feel guilty for spending the money that i worked hard for. people ask me why im not settling down with my fella and having sprogs! is that what we young ones have to do nowadays? is that why there are so many teen girls with children? i dont want kids this might sound selfish now but why should i spend my money on kids that i dont want. i lead a happy life now living with my parents yes i do pay my way like everyone else and yes i do go out and spend my money on stupid stuff as my dad calls it, going out with my friends, clothes, holidays, shopping, anything a normal human being also has to do!! i say spend you only live once if you dont do it now you will regret it and people will only pinch your hard earned money of you! let the guilty feelings come and take over you for a while but at least youve had the joy of spending it!
baby boo is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..