Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-08-2005, 17:14   #31
Beacon of light

Re: Blow it all?

I think that I have probably been very lucky in that I have always had a job.......only once was on short time, and that was during the power cut years......I have never drawn dole money, and I have had a relatively healthy life. Money was very tight when we first got married.... but as life got a bit easier I decided that I HAD to save......didn't want to be working until I was 60........you just have to decide what you want to do.
We aren't well off, but we can make ends meet......because of having saved a bit.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-08-2005, 19:01   #32
God Member

Baby Boo I totally agree with you, I think its important whilst your young to spend your money on the stupid stuff and have a good time doing it, I have no regrets about the clothes, holidays, handbags that I've purchased over the years. I tend to save a bit now, but I still treat myself as well as buying whatever my daughter needs, enjoy yourself while your young is what I say.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2005, 19:31   #33
Clearly Classy.......

mmmmmmmmmm as they say "Theres no pockets in shrouds!"
I think we live and have fun but be a little cautious on the way!

Romps X

My Gallery My Albums
Romps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2005, 21:55   #34
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

reading through the thread, the majority view seems to be=sod it lol its not mori i know but it sure pleases me lol
Old 22-08-2005, 23:12   #35
white rabbits

contentment is the key,,,, if you can pay your way ,and dont spend more than you have comming in ,you'l be fine ,dont envy other people who may have more than you..
Old 23-08-2005, 01:07   #36
Member.

Do a little of everything but don’t forget those less fortunate than yourself. I spend on a need basis, if you don’t need out? Save a little. Save something for tomorrow because you don’t what’s going to happen and you don’t realise that all the fancy stuff you’ve bought this week won’t do dick for you when you old and grey, worse still if you end up needing care………………..One thought? If you help someone who needs a leg up today, someone might just look kindly on you tomorrow………………

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2005, 01:16   #37
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
Do a little of everything but don’t forget those less fortunate than yourself. I spend on a need basis, if you don’t need out? Save a little. Save something for tomorrow because you don’t what’s going to happen and you don’t realise that all the fancy stuff you’ve bought this week won’t do dick for you when you old and grey, worse still if you end up needing care………………..One thought? If you help someone who needs a leg up today, someone might just look kindly on you tomorrow………………

If you get knocked down by a tram next week, can I as your dearest friend, have what you've squirelled away?

You know you can trust me, and I won't spend it on wine, women and song.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2005, 01:29   #38
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
If you get knocked down by a tram next week, can I as your dearest friend, have what you've squirelled away?

You know you can trust me, and I won't spend it on wine, women and song.
Do you not take anything seriously? The only things that I have squirreled away “and despite popular belief, have been for at least seven years” are my nut’s and no, your not getting your hands on them so forget it………..and Yes, now I’m being crude?

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -

Last edited by Doug; 23-08-2005 at 01:48.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2005, 02:04   #39
Give, give, give member

I assure you I take lots of things seriously, like my diet.

I only eat fresh food, not dried goods, so you can keep your nuts for the birds.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2005, 06:41   #40
Senior Member+

Interesting reading this thread. Have gone through the hard times, 2 kids and wife at home not earning, but things got better when the kids grew up. Two wages coming in. Yes lots of holidays and enjoying life, put some money by for a rainy day. Wife retired at 60 with a reasonable pension, I "got" out at 62 (and managed to draw my pension), now the dreaded 65 is looming near and state pension. Now its time to enjoy more holidays and to do what we want, when we want.May be that is an old fashioned attitude, but its worked for us.

Spend a little, save a little but most of all enjoy life, there's no second chance, you're only here once.

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2005, 12:16   #41
white rabbits

great if youve got your health get out and enjoy life to the full.... if your sick then no amount of money can conpensate.but they cant take away memories
Old 25-08-2005, 12:26   #42
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyclaret
great if youve got your health get out and enjoy life to the full.... if your sick then no amount of money can conpensate.but they cant take away memories
That's very true, all to many times you hear of people reaching retiring age and falling sick. At our age you just don't know what is round the corner so to speak.

Albert Einstein.

Old 25-08-2005, 16:50   #43
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by park381
That's very true, all to many times you hear of people reaching retiring age and falling sick. At our age you just don't know what is round the corner so to speak.

Such a true statement. My Nan died of cancer shortly after retiring and my Grandad had always wanted to visit Australia in his retirement and just a few months before his trip of a life time he died suddenly! Such an unfair twist to 2 lovely people who had worked extremely hard all their lives for what they had and more than deserved a happy retirement together!

Life isn't always fair so live everyday as if it's your last !!!

Last edited by Tinkerbelle; 25-08-2005 at 16:57.
Tinkerbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2005, 17:07   #44
Senior Member+

Aye it's a cruel world, same thing happened with my father. Said when he retired he would take mother on a cruise, and visit some of the places he was stationed at during the war........... Never did go on that cruise.

Albert Einstein.

Old 29-08-2005, 09:16   #45
God Member

I live for the day and make decisions based on what is right or wrong at that particular time. That's why I don't have any regrets and why I don't see it as a failing to admit that a decision was wrong in hindsight.

I don't have any real savings but funnily enough when I've ever needed a large unexpected lump sum of money something has always cropped up - tax returns, inheritance, bonuses, etc. Just luck I suppose!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..