Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2010, 14:55   #46
Resting in Peace

Re: Born again Virgins

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Some people still do think it is cool to smoke. I have the occasional cigarette when I'm in the mood but generally I think it is a bad habit. I'd hate to be smoking like it was a necessary part of my daily routine.
The next time you think about having a ciggy blazey, think again and then don't
Old 07-08-2010, 15:00   #47
Senior Member+

Think how much money the state would have saved if you hadn't given up smoking,jaysay!And I could have come over and got my hands on those two bottles of Spey.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 15:00   #48
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
But it is about medical issues, but medical issues that are affected by racial and cultural problems...the two cannot be divorced, well, not if you want a meaningful debate about the issues involved.
Well to me Margaret its not a medical issue, its a needless medical procedure brought about through racial bigotry, and the oppression of women who are treated like second class citizens who have to kowtow to their male counterparts
Old 07-08-2010, 15:03   #49
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikine View Post
I agree it shouldn't be done on the NHS but can understand the need for these women to have it done. Before we know it we will be funding female circumcision which is still practised in many countries on young girls.
I was wondering if that would crop up, there was a program on telly bout that a few years ago, I think its illegal even in the far east. I too can understand the need for these women to have this done, but not on the NHS
Old 07-08-2010, 15:19   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I was wondering if that would crop up, there was a program on telly bout that a few years ago, I think its illegal even in the far east. I too can understand the need for these women to have this done, but not on the NHS
It may be illegal but it is still widely practised in the backwoods, Egypt and Yemen Somalia to name but a few. There are also many in the UK at risk from this horrific practise. These women are mutilated from as young as 3 years old.
kikine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 15:21   #51
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikine View Post
It may be illegal but it is still widely practised in the backwoods, Egypt and Yemen Somalia to name but a few. There are also many in the UK at risk from this horrific practise. These women are mutilated from as young as 3 years old.
And its usually the older women that do it too
Old 08-08-2010, 07:42   #52
Senior Member+

Another example of how crazy religion can be.
What if the muslim woman was actually a virgin and she accidentally ruptured her hymen, say perhaps during sports like bicycling, horseback riding, gymnastics etc??
Old 08-08-2010, 08:22   #53
Beacon of light

Restless, when did you last see a muslim woman riding either a bike or a horse?
All of the pursuits you mention are not permitted in the muslim religion.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:29   #54
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
And you think that that tax on the tobacco goes to pay for treatment of all smoking related diseases Less?
No I don't, but I also don't think attacking smokers, non of whom that I know go around deliberately breaking Muslim Women's Hymens is relevent to the argument.

It is stupid to compare the two, just as it would be stupid if someone was to say, money could go towards this needless operation by depriving Cancer patients of life saving treatment, because the two things are completely different.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 08:33   #55
Senior Member+

haha got me there. I didn't know they wasn't allowed to ride horses

Quote:
Restless, when did you last see a muslim woman riding either a bike or a horse?
All of the pursuits you mention are not permitted in the muslim religion.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:52   #56
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
No I don't, but I also don't think attacking smokers, non of whom that I know go around deliberately breaking Muslim Women's Hymens is relevent to the argument.

It is stupid to compare the two, just as it would be stupid if someone was to say, money could go towards this needless operation by depriving Cancer patients of life saving treatment, because the two things are completely different.
They may be different but the money still comes from the already overstretched purse
Old 08-08-2010, 09:45   #57
God Member

An operation to fool your new husband and his family into thinking that you are as pure as the driven snow? Thats a good start to married life. How deeply moral, robustly ethical and ridiculously holier-than-thou.

The self-imposed limitations of religious minorities are just that; SELF-IMPOSED. I cannot see that they have any reasonable argument why the rest of us should either recognise or respect them, much less fund them!
Old 08-08-2010, 09:52   #58
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
They may be different but the money still comes from the already overstretched purse
I do think the use of the word overstretched in this instance is a bit below the belt.

However as these Gynae Units are up and running and already being paid for I see no reason If thy are going through a slack period why this simple procedure should not be allowed.If only to keep their hands in so to speak.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:20   #59
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post
I do think the use of the word overstretched in this instance is a bit below the belt.

However as these Gynae Units are up and running and already being paid for I see no reason If thy are going through a slack period why this simple procedure should not be allowed.If only to keep their hands in so to speak.

Although it is almost 8 years since I retired, I am fairly sure that no Gynea unit ever has much of a slack period......as said before this is a very small number of procedures when taking the total female population into consideration.

And Less, you are spot on with your post.(number 54 for anyone who isn't sure which post I mean)
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:24   #60
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benipete View Post

Well they can keep their hand in so long as we ain't paying for it

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..