Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2008, 15:22   #16
Give, give, give member

Re: Breast Feeding, makes you more intelligent

There was no choice, so both my brother and myself were bottle fed.

We both never struggled academically, and were both very healthy kids.

We were both reading and writing before we went to nursery, something we may have not been taught to do that early if we were both wasting time having 'bitty'.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-05-2008, 16:49   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
This is just another one in a long line of tactics in the campaign from the Daily Mail to keep all women chained to their children for the first five years of their life. The Daily Mail might seem like a paper aimed at women but in fact, is raging a campaign against them. It doesn't want nice happy smiling well adjusted mothers and children it wants stepford wives.

And yes, I will tell you how old my eight year old daughter is - she's been assessed with a reading age of 10yr 9mths, a spelling age of 12 and was the only one in her class to get 20 out of 20 in the maths test and was graded at 3A for her predicted SATS scores.

She was bottle fed for about three days and then I decided it hurt too much and why on earth shouldn't Chris be getting up in the middle of the night for a baby that didn't sleep?
Well Gayle obviously she takes after her mother then
Old 06-05-2008, 17:32   #18
God Member

I don't see how any statistics about this could even be reliable... how do they know the children wouldn't have ended up being bright anyway? I don't think breast is best even if it does rhyme I think bottle is best because it's generally easier to adapt to for most women and avoids as much stress. Lots of mothers get really worked up about breast feeding and it's just not necessary.

Milk formula isn't going to make your baby lack intelligence, so unless there are medical reasons for not using it like allergies then I think every mum should feel ok about using it.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 17:56   #19
God Member

I breast fed both of mine... just cos I couldn't be bothered faffing with the bottles

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 17:58   #20
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwood red View Post
I breast fed both of mine... just cos I couldn't be bothered faffing with the bottles
Bottles are a faff, but was more convenient that way, otherwise I doubt I would have moved for 6 months with the way my two fed
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 18:19   #21
Resting in Peace

I do believe that I.Q. is hereditary, and that, yes, believe that breast feeding probably enhances the brain cells, not actually makes them intelligent.

Remember, that I.Q. comes in many forms, not just being clever academically, but showing intelligence in sociology, business dealings, wit, assessing situations, astuteness on solving problems, etc.

Remember that many a dyslexic person can harbour a very high I.Q. ratio.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 18:21   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by emzy View Post
Bottles are a faff, but was more convenient that way, otherwise I doubt I would have moved for 6 months with the way my two fed
Bless you emzy .. you are an exception, and no need to explain ... xx
Old 06-05-2008, 18:27   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
Just babies?
Ah well.
That crossed my mind too ... why should babies have all the fun
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 18:28   #24
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwood red View Post

Was sterilising them not painful tough?

Old 06-05-2008, 18:30   #25
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post

Remember that many a dyslexic person can harbour a very high I.Q. ratio.
I'm sure if I took the Mensa test I'd be classified as an imbecile.

My brain just doesn't do that logic nonsense.

Old 06-05-2008, 18:32   #26
Senior Member+

I have an above average IQ, and i was bottle fed
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 20:07   #27
Passed away 25-11-09

You can use statistics to prove any point, if you try hard enough. I don't believe breastfeeding will make enough difference to matter where IQ is concerned.

Take my children. I breastfed my son and my younger daughter for a couple of months each but my elder daughter, my first child, was only breastfed for 3 weeks as I became ill and couldn't continue. All 3 of them are very intelligent but it's my elder daughter who was the most academically gifted, taking O and A levels in her stride where the other 2 had to work that bit harder to achieve results.

My elder daughter has a son and she didn't breastfeed him for more than a couple of weeks. He got a bursary to Manchester Grammar School where he got 9 GCSEs (5 A and 4 A*) and 3 A levels, did a B Tech at college and is now at Salford Uni doing a BA. My granddaughter, only 8 years old, wasn't breastfed at all, due to physical problems with her mum (my younger daughter), but is showing every sign of being as clever as her cousin.

I think intelligence is part inherited and part the result of environment. I certainly don't think that any mother who doesn't breastfeed, for whatever reason, should beat herself up with worry that she has made her child less intelligent. It's a lot of nonsense.
Old 06-05-2008, 20:19   #28
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post

I think intelligence is part inherited and part the result of environment. I certainly don't think that any mother who doesn't breastfeed, for whatever reason, should beat herself up with worry that she has made her child less intelligent. It's a lot of nonsense.

No matter what everyone says about their clever kids Westender, first point accepted; your second point, of course don 't beat yerself up at the end of the day for not breastfeeding .. gosh, we are soooo lucky now that we have supplementary good feeding to fall back on. Nonsense ?? no, do not believe that is the case .. if possible to breastfeed .. go for it anytime .. 'tis nature's way.
Old 06-05-2008, 20:24   #29
Passed away 25-11-09

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
No matter what everyone says about their clever kids Westender, first point accepted; your second point, of course don 't beat yerself up at the end of the day for not breastfeeding .. gosh, we are soooo lucky now that we have supplementary good feeding to fall back on. Nonsense ?? no, do not believe that is the case .. if possible to breastfeed .. go for it anytime .. 'tis nature's way.

I meant that the hypothesis that breastfeeding boosts IQ is nonsense, not breastfeeding itself.
Old 06-05-2008, 20:34   #30
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
I meant that the hypothesis that breastfeeding boosts IQ is nonsense, not breastfeeding itself.
I think that because of the properties in mother's milk, would agree to differ that it cannot boost the brain cells in the development of the early stages of infanthood. Just lots of people getting the incorrect idea that it gives an immediate high I.Q. ..

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..