Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2012, 18:01   #1

British goods

As a tax payer I am indirectly paying anyone who works for the government such as nurses, police officers, doctors and politicians. If I want to stay in this country I have no choice in paying these taxes so in effect for these services I have to buy British. I therefore think anyone who is employed by the government should buy British goods. If they buy foreign goods they are not creating any wealth whatsoever for Britain. Similarly anyone on benefits should only be buying British. If all government workers didn't buy any British goods at all there would be no money to pay them
Claytoner40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-06-2012, 18:07   #2
Senior Member+

Re: British goods

Do we have any British Goods worth buying at a right price?
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 18:11   #3
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytoner40 View Post
As a tax payer I am indirectly paying anyone who works for the government such as nurses, police officers, doctors and politicians. If I want to stay in this country I have no choice in paying these taxes so in effect for these services I have to buy British. I therefore think anyone who is employed by the government should buy British goods. If they buy foreign goods they are not creating any wealth whatsoever for Britain. Similarly anyone on benefits should only be buying British. If all government workers didn't buy any British goods at all there would be no money to pay them
I would hazard a guess that this is another one of those fishing threads - you need a bigger worm. You definitely need a bigger worm.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 18:20   #4
Resting in Peace

Even a bigger rode Margaret
Old 10-06-2012, 18:22   #5
Beacon of light

Depends what size of catch he is expecting......but definitely needs a bigger, fatter, juicier bit of bait.
Old 10-06-2012, 19:43   #6
Resting in Peace

Bless.

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 20:59   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Anyone wi a grain of sense will buy the best quality goods at the best price they can get em, British or not.
Old 10-06-2012, 21:49   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Anyone wi a grain of sense will buy the best quality goods at the best price they can get em, British or not.

I don't know about that ... from what I read, the British manufacturing sector is shrinking way too quickly ... I do believe that the consumer should try his darndest to support the national and local producer.

I always make an attempt to buy Canadian ... My car, a GM product, was manufactured in Oshawa, Ontario. Many of the parts on my Harley were manufactured in Canada ... Food and booze, I try to buy local ... at least from Ontario. (Ok ... I drink Bomber when I can get it) But the Lancashire chesse I had the other day comes from Ontario ... The yanks, by the way, are finally creating jobs ... and a lot of this has to do with "Buy American". The national economy has a better chance of prospering if nationals support it by buying, in your case, British made goods.

Also, governments should provide incentives to other countries to establish plant in their country ... I remember when GM and Chrysler (never buy one) were closing plants a few years ago at the height of the recession, Toyota opened a factory in Woodstock, Ontario. This was because the government of Ontario were very persuasive in selling Ontario as a place to do business. And Toyota Canada employs union labour ... Canadian Auto Workers Union all the way.

So I def do see long term advantages to supporting the national and the local economy ... might cost a few more bucks in the short term; but I believe the long-term benefits are worth it.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 22:34   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Oh i do Eric, but a sad fact of life is it aint always the best these days, n if in my opinion it aint, Then i aint gonna buy it, simple as.
Old 10-06-2012, 22:41   #10
God Member

Agree 100% with Eric - buying local is the best thing to do, though it can cost more. It's so important to support local producers both in agriculture -foodstuffs, and manufacturers- consumer goods. While i see there is a big drive on in the UK to promote local produce from farmers, market gardeners etc. it is much harder to find goods that are" Made in England" these days -even many of the big name British brands when you looks closely are made in China, India or who knows where...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 22:59   #11

Cashy from the jobs you have talked about on here you have earned the right to buy non British goods by working in manufacturing. The government hasn't payed your wages.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:40   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytoner40 View Post
Cashy from the jobs you have talked about on here you have earned the right to buy non British goods by working in manufacturing. The government hasn't payed your wages.
Just wondering if you actually live in the real world
Old 11-06-2012, 11:34   #13
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

As a public sector worker, and taxpayer, I am entitled to buy what I like, made by whomever, I like. Without us Nurses, Midwives, Doctors etc. many people who are now alive, would be long dead...... As far as I'm concerned, I earn every penny honestly and will spend it how I please.

Of course, I'm sure that Claytoner40 would rather not pay tax and NI, but pay for all of the services you use, when you use them.. Based on what they pay in other countries, this is far more expensive. My friend just had to pay NZ$3500 for simple dental fillings. If we had to pay for our Health, Education etc at the point of use, we wouldn't be able to afford to buy anything else, never mind British..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 15:54   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie View Post
As a public sector worker, and taxpayer, I am entitled to buy what I like, made by whomever, I like. Without us Nurses, Midwives, Doctors etc. many people who are now alive, would be long dead...... As far as I'm concerned, I earn every penny honestly and will spend it how I please.

Of course, I'm sure that Claytoner40 would rather not pay tax and NI, but pay for all of the services you use, when you use them.. Based on what they pay in other countries, this is far more expensive. My friend just had to pay NZ$3500 for simple dental fillings. If we had to pay for our Health, Education etc at the point of use, we wouldn't be able to afford to buy anything else, never mind British..
I'm not doubting you earn your money honestly. If all public sector workers bought non British goods there would be no money to pay you. It's simple economics. You couldn't buy anything. I'm happy to pay NI and tax to fund the public sector. You should do your bit by buying British and helping us out in manufacturing. You have a choice to help us. We have to pay you
Old 11-06-2012, 15:59   #15
Beacon of light

See....you can even catch some fish with thin and scrawny worms...think what you'd catch with fat juicy ones

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..