Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-03-2006, 11:56   #16
white rabbits

Re: Budget 20006 - any comments?

did i hear him say free bus passes for old fogeys ,,YABBA DABBA DOO........YIPPEEE
Old 23-03-2006, 12:01   #17

Inheritence Tax raised to £325K by 2009..... means you don't pay this tax unless your own over £325K? .. no problem for me!... Tax em!
Driller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2006, 12:03   #18
God Member

yep GC but you've got to live till 2008 to get it, I reckon he'll take away the fuel allowance you get to kill a few extra oldies off before it comes in

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2006, 12:04   #19
God Member

Problem is DRiller is that this takes your complete estate into account. There are a lot of houses in Accy now worth ~£200K add to that any savings, pensions, assets, etc and you will find it very easy to hit that figure.

Old 23-03-2006, 12:13   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi
Problem is DRiller is that this takes your complete estate into account. There are a lot of houses in Accy now worth ~£200K add to that any savings, pensions, assets, etc and you will find it very easy to hit that figure.
OK entwisi.. taking it in .. but how much is your kidney worth and the cost of a transplant? this stuff costs, and I can't take my house with me, did the pharaohs have the right idea? or maybe the tories!
Old 23-03-2006, 12:34   #21
Resting in peace

Last time public borrowing was so high, the government ended up going cap in hand to the International Monetary Fund to bail them out. And who pays? We do.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2006, 12:36   #22
God Member

Where does the value of a kidney come into this? I agree that there aint pockets in shrouds and you should spend as much as you physically can but you also want to leave something for those you leave behind.

Old 23-03-2006, 12:51   #23

I'm saying it all costs money and you can't take it with you. were does money for saving lives ,educating kids,fighting terror come from? tax, we all want these things but don't like paying!
Old 23-03-2006, 13:29   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller
I'm saying it all costs money and you can't take it with you. were does money for saving lives ,educating kids,fighting terror come from? tax, we all want these things but don't like paying!
Maybe if the could get the rich to pay more tax instead of riding the loop holes as I have mentioned earlier and quango's to vanish there might be an extra few quid around. I wouldnt mind paying more tax if we can get the sevices out of it but it would have to be sensible but would proberly mean an overhaul of the tax system.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2006, 13:42   #25

45p rise in child benefit! My 8 year old heard this and said.... "That's not enough for a wonka bar from the top shop mum" Out of the mouth of babes.
Debbie J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2006, 13:45   #26
God Member

I think there was a comment by IIRC menzies that struck home with me. He said that whilst he appluaded some of the measures that the chancellor had brought in it just added to the already complex taxation system we have and this all amounted to leaving loopholes etc that can be exploited.

As an example of alternative thinking why not look at replacing the current multilevel, obscure system with a blanket percentage of income. remove VAT etc so lets say 30% of income. The goverment would get a far higher return as less avoidance would be possible and everyone would know exactly what they are due to pay.

Old 23-03-2006, 14:15   #27
God Member

The middle class upwards would go nuts if their little tax loopholes vanish. Even at 30% tax rate it is proberly the most any would have ever paid.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2006, 15:05   #28
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie
No more than expected really, although 9p or so on ciggies is a tad steep. No wonder so many people buy them abroad.

I was in Gibraltar a couple of weeks ago and noticed that B&H were £8.50 for 200, 85p per pack of 20. What do they cost here? Is it almost £5????? Whoever says that smokers should pay more for healthcare has the cheek of the devil... Petrol was about 65p per litre over there too, we are being robbed blind...
LOL very true lettie, the thing is that the gov want to stop people smoking in public places & now in Scotland piloting policing for people having the crafty fag aka breaching smoking in areas fining those that do £50 & premisies that its breached £200 & yet the very gov rely on the revenue collected from smokers is hugely dependable to the money pot

The most confusing is fining on top talk about bite the hand that feeds the pot. Thing is if everyone who smokes gave up - then no tax is collected from tobacco hence nothing to police & fine, so where would they get their revenue from then ?? ............mmmm another pleasure in life will be highly taxed ...fresh air will be taxed in this country soon no doubt!!
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..