Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2005, 07:37   #1
I am Banned

burnley hospital

theres just been a segment on the morning news about how the people of burnley are in uproar about their hospital been closed and moved to merge with the new hospital in blackburn 10 miles away saying that it will cost lives especialy for those who suffer heart attacks

i agree with the people of burnley that they should keep their own hospital but what i find pretty amazing is that the people of burnley could only scrape together 2500 signatures ( according to morning tv ) to send off to the government to show their disgust at what is happening

somehow i dont think their going to keep their hospital as i cant see 2500 signatures carrying much weight

also the waiting times at blackburn are disgustingly long as it is can you imagine how long you will be waiting when they have to treat people from burnley and its surrounding areas as well .
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-11-2005, 07:44   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: burnley hospital

Apathy! It makes you sick.

No doubt the people who couldn't be bothered to sign will be first on the band wagon to grumble about having to travel that far.

I already think it's a disgrace that we had a perfectly good hospital of our own at one time and now have to go to Blackburn.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 08:02   #3
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Here we go.....

Somebody has the wrong end of the stick. They are not closing Burnley hospital.........

What will be happening is a redistribution of services between both sites, Blackburn and Burnley. One of the aims is to have most of the intensive care and high dependency services at one site, and all of the planned operations and less high risk care at the other. That is just one of the plans on the drawing board as far as I'm aware. One of the other plans is that we leave things as they are.

It would mean that some Blackburn folk may have to go to Burnley for some procedures and vice versa. It would also make for more efficiency and cost effectiveness as far as the hospitals are concerned. With money saved it may enable more services to be brought online. People working in the high dependency areas would gain a lot of experience in this way of working, making the care safer, more experienced and less errors. Currently high dependency patients are spread out amongst most of the wards on both sites, sometimes being looked after by junior staff. To put them all together with experienced staff makes sense.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 08:07   #4
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie
Here we go.....

Somebody has the wrong end of the stick. They are not closing Burnley hospital.........

well they said they were closing the accident and emergency at burnley and people would have to travel to blackburn on the TV so i can only comment on what i heard although i did think it was starnge this hadnt been brought up as we have a few members who work in the medical profession here

still you got to admit 2500 signatures is pretty weak considering how big an area burnley is so it does make you wonder what made it so news worthy for national TV when obviously the people of burnley dont seem to care too much
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 09:58   #5
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I agree that it is a bit pathetic but the newspapers have quite categorically stated that no decisions have been made yet. In the Accy Observer from 28th October page 15 there is a large spread about the proposed changes and addresses for people to write or e mail to have their say. Nowhere does it say that they will close A&E services at Burnley. It proposes that one site will deal with emergencies, HDU and ICU while the other deals with planned services. There would be facilities for A&E at both sites as far as I understand it. The practical thing would be to stabilise a patient in the A&E at the non ICU site, then transfer.

Maybe the people who have got the wrong end of the stick on this are scaremongering the others. Maybe the people who have read it and understand it are not signing petitions because there's nothing to sign for. The new A&E being built at Blackburn barely has enough space to cater for those in Blackburn, Darwen, Hyndburn and Ribble Valley. To try to take patients from Burnley Pendle and Rossendale too would be folly.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 11:06   #6

A similar thing has happened in Southport. It is now impossible to get your child treated in an emergency situation in Southport. No, you have to take them to Ormskirk about 10 miles away. This is along a narrow country road which has farm traffic and all kinds of crap on it. The great uproar by the Southport people and the signing of petitions made not one jot of difference. The scheme still went ahead.

JohnW
JohnW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 16:10   #7
God Member

We have the same problem hear as they want to close falkirk infermary an move all services to stirling untill a new hospital is built. From me to FRI 3.5 miles me to SRI 13 miles.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..