Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2009, 01:47   #1
God Member

Carole Thatchter

Carole is an orrible moron.. just like her mum.. dad .. and brother.. been banned (for a while) for calling a black tennis player a "gollywog"..slip of the tongue we may say..but how much longer do we have to suffer these people who recieve a very nice salary from the media letting their personal thoughts creep into an already sensitive situation... my view.. what a family.. the dregs of Maggie.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-02-2009, 01:53   #2
God Member

Re: Carole Thatchter

I won't judge this on anything other than what she said, because I'm not going to prejudice her because of her mother, her birth. I very much agree with a media lawyer that was on the BBC this evening. Everything has to be taken in context. When something is said in reference to a Jam Jar cartoon, that was not said in a derogatory way at all, then I think the action taken was wrong on this occasion. The same word said in a derogatory way would indeed lead to severe consequences.
Old 05-02-2009, 01:59   #3
God Member

Well andrewb.. you are getting hard core from your early.. more liberal days..calling a black person a gollywog is now accepted by you.. is that the officail party line? or is the unofficial accepted off line Tory speak.. you lead me to believe it is the latter.

Last edited by Mancie; 05-02-2009 at 02:01.
Old 05-02-2009, 02:07   #4
God Member

I dont speak of the party line. I speak what I think. If you say something in a derogatory way then its wrong. Clearly in this context it wasn't in a derogatory way. Context is key. Take it out of context to appease your hatred if you wish.
Old 05-02-2009, 02:18   #5
God Member

In what context would you call someone a Gollywog?.. am I missing something here?..to call someone a Gollywog or nignog has been ...we hoped ..gone by long ago.. but you and your old Eton boys jolly hockey stick brigade still insist it is your right to call people names you deem fit... wake up .. those days have gone.
Old 05-02-2009, 02:35   #6
God Member

just as a last.. there are white people in this country that do care about this nation and are fed up with the constant cat calls of "get back home you black ...".. the notion that to be non white means you have not been born here.. the notion that if you are not white you are a threat...I am a white English and I love my country.. I'lm willing to fight for my country.. but I will not fight for people that pertian to be English but are detemind to smash anything that does not suit the cosy world they happen to live in.. just beacause they think or .... if it's cosy.. makes them English.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:26   #7
Resting in Peace

Well, one person makes an of the cuff comment in a room with 12 people, another makes sexually innuendo on a Radio show, one is sacked the other is given a sugar lump a pat on the head and don't do it again now have a nice holiday then go back and earn your £6 million salary, something smacks of double standards here, or somebody with a personal political agenda
Old 05-02-2009, 10:08   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
In what context would you call someone a Gollywog?.. am I missing something here?..to call someone a Gollywog or nignog has been ...we hoped ..gone by long ago.. but you and your old Eton boys jolly hockey stick brigade still insist it is your right to call people names you deem fit... wake up .. those days have gone.

Again your hatred, of somebody's mother, is getting in the way of rationality. It's all about context, its all about whether it was said in a derogatory way. It's all about a generational thing too. I myself have accused somebody, wrongly, of saying something in a derogatory way on this very forum, because I took it out of context. Looking back on it, I was wrong, because the guy didn't mean it in an offensive way. Nether did Carol Thatcher.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:22   #9
white rabbits

Carole is the ONLY Thatcher i like..
When i was a kid i had a big beautiful golliwog ,which i loved,, Plus i used to collect the little metal badges off the jam pots...
Old 05-02-2009, 11:09   #10
Resting in Peace

Re: Carole Thatcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyclaret View Post
Carole is the ONLY Thatcher i like..
When i was a kid i had a big beautiful golliwog ,which i loved,, Plus i used to collect the little metal badges off the jam pots...
I think everybody had those badges GC, now its a sacking offence just to refer to one, just where is all this utter madness going to end, if its not the PC brigade its the elf and safety fascists
Old 05-02-2009, 13:45   #11
Passed away 25-11-09

Just like you, I wasn't in the Green Room that day so I didn't hear the dreadful word first hand. From what I have, subsequently, read Carole Thatcher, who I neither like nor dislike, didn't call a black person a golliwog, she said he had hair like a golliwog.

One of the first "craft" things I did at school was to make a golliwog out of coloured felt. The hair was twisted black wool that stood out round the head. We didn't consider we were making images of black people, we were making toys.

I am so sick of the ridiculous political correctness that sweeps into everything these days. Hardly anyone dares to make the most innocently intended remark in case it offends someone. You can swear as much as you like, use every obscenity you can think of and it hardly causes a ripple but say the word Golliwog and you're out.
Old 05-02-2009, 14:05   #12
God Member

I too have fond memories of owning a golliwog toy and of collecting the badges from the jam. I don't think I ever once thought of a person as a golliwog, to me they were simply toys that had jet black faces and curly hair - I didn't, and to some degree still don't, connect it with a racial stereotype.

Things have changed though and as someone in the media, Carol Thatcher should know that. She should have developed a sort of inbuilt censoring device which tells you not to say these things in a group of people that you do not know or trust very well. Whether it was back stage or whether it was out of context is almost irrelevant, it was just stupid of her to say it.

However, I do think that the panic that it has caused is out of proportion given the context she used it in.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 14:29   #13
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

I used the term 'golliwog' many, Mani, years ago, yes I owned one as a toddler, he was my best friend through the toddler stage he was treated with love not derision, when I got older I collected the badges, again no disrespect for the image or what it might represent these badges often represented some of man's greatest achievement which surely meant it was an attitude of inclusion of the black man rather than his exclusion?

Having said all that, I'd rather have a golliwog in power than a Thatcher!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 15:37   #14
Give, give, give member

The Queen has taken Golliwog's off the shelf in her shop at Sandringham.

The Press Association: Royal gift shop's golliwog apology

Goodness knows what Prince Charles will be able to give his friends for Christmas now.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 15:40   #15
Give, give, give member

Carole has more than a touch of the Fuzzy-Wuzzy in her herself.

DNAPrint Genomics EuroDNA(TM) Test Used as Basis for Reality Show on British Television | Market Wire | Find Articles at BNET

Which could explain her own hair.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..