Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-02-2013, 09:13   #181

Re: Changes To Housing Benefits

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
well say that to the mum whos son is in afghanastan an has to move house .boeing and co you are off your rocker,you havent a clue about real life Benefits Cuts, suicides and deaths. | Politics UK
I don't see what that woman wants she wants tax payers to pay for her employed sons rooms. If there's a house with 3 adults 2 are full time employed they don't deserve full benefits the lads should pay a bit of board or move out and get there own place I don't see why I should pay for there house.
maxthecollie likes this.
Old 21-02-2013, 21:55   #182
God Member

just maybe she is severely disabled.
Old 21-02-2013, 22:07   #183
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Perhaps Less is a bit old to start now but if he gets a move on and had 11 children he could have a brand new £400,000 house free and pay no bedroom tax. He could also, after inspecting it, tell the council he didn't like it and wanted a better one.
He could even have his own horse(they're edible) and it would only cost him £200 a month of his benefits. In fact, he could probably afford 3 horses( apparently others can and you'd never be short of a home made lasagne).
You seem to have made a glaring mistake, Less is English
Old 21-02-2013, 22:11   #184

Quote:
just maybe she is severely disabled.
So what she needs 3 bedrooms her sons cant look after her they're away.
Old 22-02-2013, 09:36   #185
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
You seem to have made a glaring mistake, Less is English
You've got me there, lancsdave. I don't follow that, go on, what have I missed.

Should be a rolleyes there but it didn't work!
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 13:15   #186
Senior Member+

People who need an extra room for a carer that isn't their partner will get that extra room. There are always gonna be exceptions but when there are families crammed into 1 bedroomed flats and single people rattling around in 3 bedroomed semis something has to give.
Old 22-02-2013, 14:41   #187

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
People who need an extra room for a carer that isn't their partner will get that extra room. There are always gonna be exceptions but when there are families crammed into 1 bedroomed flats and single people rattling around in 3 bedroomed semis something has to give.
You could also argue that 'families' should stop breeding until they have a big enough roof over their head without the need to force people out of homes full of memories they have lived in for years.

Or government could just invest in a social housing building program and create some jobs, instead of targeting people using the 'all benefit claimants are scroungers' argument. I suggest using the money earmarked for the EU and foreign aid.
Less and Alan Varrechia like this.
Old 22-02-2013, 16:45   #188
Senior Member+

Quote:
well say that to the mum whos son is in afghanastan an has to move house .boeing and co you are off your rocker,you havent a clue about real life Benefits Cuts, suicides and deaths. | Politics UK
If he is in the Forces he gets 28 days leave, plus bank holidays every year. In addition there is embarkation leave and disembarkation leave (DinG can verify whether this is still the norm).
Should he spend all of his leave at his parents address then "his room" will be vacant for something like 40 days per year - excluding any additional leave. Very few young men that I knew in the Services ever spent the whole of their leave at their home of record.
Therefore, if the family wish to have a vacant room (assuming it is vacant i.e. empty of all items except those that belong to the serviceman, as it is council/public housing, there is no reason why they should not pay for additional storage space - a lock up garage/storage container will cost about £10 per week.
Real life appears to have passed you by, perhaps you were on the wrong side of the road?
lindsay ormerod likes this.
Old 22-02-2013, 17:08   #189
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
You could also argue that 'families' should stop breeding until they have a big enough roof over their head without the need to force people out of homes full of memories they have lived in for years.

Or government could just invest in a social housing building program and create some jobs, instead of targeting people using the 'all benefit claimants are scroungers' argument. I suggest using the money earmarked for the EU and foreign aid.
When you say invest in social housing, you mean like the last government did, um, always makes me smile that everything wrong is down to the present government, when the last shower, did nothing but throw money about like confetti doing absolutely nothing, allowed incapacity benefits to escalate out of all proportion and as for immigration, don't think I'll even bother going there
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 17:08   #190
Senior Member+

Quote:

Some of those families have been forced into cramped temporary accommodation and unsuitable housing after losing their own homes thru repossession because they have lost their jobs.

I know of many, many examples of single people or with 1 child living in houses way too big for them,some of these are people on full benefit, getting all their rent paid and getting full council tax benefit.
Is it any wonder this country is on it's knees?

Have a think about it, you probably know some too. It's very, very rare that I agree with anything this government does, and yes, this has flaws.BUT do you really want to be paying for someone who hasn't worked or contributed to the system for what maybe years to have a bigger house( often with a front and back garden) than the working man can afford??
Old 22-02-2013, 17:09   #191
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
If he is in the Forces he gets 28 days leave, plus bank holidays every year. In addition there is embarkation leave and disembarkation leave (DinG can verify whether this is still the norm).
Should he spend all of his leave at his parents address then "his room" will be vacant for something like 40 days per year - excluding any additional leave. Very few young men that I knew in the Services ever spent the whole of their leave at their home of record.
Therefore, if the family wish to have a vacant room (assuming it is vacant i.e. empty of all items except those that belong to the serviceman, as it is council/public housing, there is no reason why they should not pay for additional storage space - a lock up garage/storage container will cost about £10 per week.
Real life appears to have passed you by, perhaps you were on the wrong side of the road?
Barrie don't bother about our friend from the north he gets all his info from the Guardian
Old 22-02-2013, 18:16   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
When you say invest in social housing, you mean like the last government did, um, always makes me smile that everything wrong is down to the present government, when the last shower, did nothing but throw money about like confetti doing absolutely nothing, allowed incapacity benefits to escalate out of all proportion and as for immigration, don't think I'll even bother going there
Since you brought up the history, maybe if your beloved Margaret had released the funds raised by the great social housing sell off back to councils to use for rebuilding and had not pushed many people on to incapacity benefit to massage the jobless figures, we wouldn't be in this predicament now.

But that's irrelevant we are discussing the now, not the once was

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
Some of those families have been forced into cramped temporary accommodation and unsuitable housing after losing their own homes thru repossession because they have lost their jobs.

I know of many, many examples of single people or with 1 child living in houses way too big for them,some of these are people on full benefit, getting all their rent paid and getting full council tax benefit.
Is it any wonder this country is on it's knees?
How many is many, many....10,20 or 100....Where exactly in Hyndburn do these many, many single parents live in these three bedroom houses? How do you know that they are on full benefit and receiving full council tax benefit?

Do you by any chance know many, many families that are currently living in cramped accomodation because of repossession? How many repossessions have been caused by people overstretching themselves and getting into negative equity?

Yes there are people who screw the system, these are a minority. Only Daily Mail readers think otherwise
Old 22-02-2013, 18:27   #193
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Since you brought up the history, maybe if your beloved Margaret had released the funds raised by the great social housing sell off back to councils to use for rebuilding and had not pushed many people on to incapacity benefit to massage the jobless figures, we wouldn't be in this predicament now.

But that's irrelevant we are discussing the now, not the once was

How many is many, many....10,20 or 100....Where exactly in Hyndburn do these many, many single parents live in these three bedroom houses? How do you know that they are on full benefit and receiving full council tax benefit?

Do you by any chance know many, many families that are currently living in cramped accomodation because of repossession? How many repossessions have been caused by people overstretching themselves and getting into negative equity?

Yes there are people who screw the system, these are a minority. Only Daily Mail readers think otherwise
You live in cloud cuckoo land
Old 22-02-2013, 18:36   #194
God Member

ohh well tried telling yous but get your vans ready the dwp have stated theres no room for monoeuvre and disabled people will not be exempt.
Old 22-02-2013, 18:41   #195

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
You live in cloud cuckoo land
Hehe....well argued sirrah

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..