Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-07-2012, 22:48   #31
Resting In Peace

Re: Changes To Housing Benefits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
My housemate has been on with them for four years now. Recently they sent him a letter saying that he had to reapply and go to the bottom of the waiting list!
Yes my cousin has just had to reapply, or rather I did it for her as you either have to do it online or go for an appointment at their office and she hasn't a clue about computers and has mobility problems having just come out of hosp. Still waiting for the result of the application.
Old 16-07-2012, 23:17   #32
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
i got a letter from my landlord saying to preppare myself for teh extra i will have to pay because i have a second bedroom.

luckily in a few weeks this wont be an issue for me i will be paying my own rent but it is absolutely disgusting to force people further into poverty who can barely make ends meet as it is.

Just wait until they bring in no housing benefits for under 25 year olds and families been forced into been homeless
Tory bastards! So right. Think of all the family strife cutting benefits to under 25 year olds will cause - they'll have to over stay their welcome in family homes, or turn to crime and or end up homeless!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2012, 00:18   #33
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
Tory bastards! So right. Think of all the family strife cutting benefits to under 25 year olds will cause - they'll have to over stay their welcome in family homes, or turn to crime and or end up homeless!

the tory's say under 25's can go back home to their parents but what if mum and dad are both dead or were abusive.Are childrens homes to keep children until they are 25 stopping the intake of other unfortunate children?

i dont see these rules been u-turned although i can see the possibilty of the no rent for under 25's been u-turned so the torys can look caring by only deducting rent from people with a spare bedroom.

Seems to be this governments trick to deal 2 scumbag ideas and leave us greatfull for only having to deal with one scumbag deal.

what next a kick in the balls for every male over 18 and cutting out of their tongues then a u-turn on cutting out tongues leaving us greatfull for a kick in the balls

too late tory's you have already kicked everyone in the balls its justthat not everyone has felt it yet

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 17-07-2012 at 00:22.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2012, 06:17   #34
Senior Member+

Quote:
I think one of the problems with private housing these days is the high rent. Landlords charge whatever they want. £425 upwards per month for 2 bedroom terrace in the majority of areas in Accrington IMO to me is simply too high. Especially for those on low wages.
To qualify for housing benefit, the fair rent for a specific property has to be approved by the Council, so landlords can't charge what they want and receive housing benefit on that figure.

Its a problem for people NOT on benefit, if the availability of accommodation is limited.
gynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2012, 06:22   #35
Senior Member+

I didn't know that. But in the past I have heard stories of the Council saying we are only paying so much, you find the rest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
To qualify for housing benefit, the fair rent for a specific property has to be approved by the Council, so landlords can't charge what they want and receive housing benefit on that figure.

Its a problem for people NOT on benefit, if the availability of accommodation is limited.
Old 17-07-2012, 08:12   #36
Senior Member+

Quote:
I didn't know that. But in the past I have heard stories of the Council saying we are only paying so much, you find the rest.
THere is an amount they have to pay by law.

Just think what damage it will do not letting under25's have housing benefit. It will stop people venturing out on their own and getting support - it will do a lot of harm. Unless it's means tested!
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2012, 09:15   #37

So where were you all kicking off about this change to housing benefit when it took effect from January 2012, if you are single (without dependents), in private rented housing and aged under 35 you will only be entitled to housing benefit at the same rate as you would get for renting a single room in a shared house. Basically you were stuffed when this was brought in if you were aged under 35.
wallop79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2012, 09:17   #38
God Member

dont forget folks foreign aid has been increased and will continue to do so over the next few years.Its ok saying money has to be saved but its a bit rich stripping it from the poorer of society while pumping money abroad

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 17-07-2012, 09:19   #39
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallop79 View Post
So where were you all kicking off about this change to housing benefit when it took effect from January 2012, if you are single (without dependents), in private rented housing and aged under 35 you will only be entitled to housing benefit at the same rate as you would get for renting a single room in a shared house. Basically you were stuffed when this was brought in if you were aged under 35.
thats new to me but in fairness i was probbably not aware of it because im well over that age lol

Old 17-07-2012, 09:21   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
thats new to me but in fairness i was probbably not aware of it because im well over that age lol

In fairness last time I saw you, you did look about 48 !
wallop79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2012, 09:26   #41
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:

The whole of this, went straight under my radar, the last I'd heard that was similar was them discussing people living in a larger home perhaps letting a spare room to someone. So if someone has let someone under 25 move in with them are they now going to have to evict that person because they can't pay the rent?

It's a whole barrel of rotten apples.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2012, 09:41   #42
God Member

this might shock Mancie but I completely agree with the comments on this thread. Hyndburn is not like Manchester with its swathes of 1 bed flats and this rule would be completely unfair to the majority of single people in our constituency. Has any of you contacted Graham to put the case of non City locations?

as for costings you might be surprised, 425 a month is actually quite low, my friend at work has a 1 bed flat in a OK but not that special area of Sale and pays 550 a month....

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2012, 10:03   #43
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gynn View Post
Quote:
This is all true Rob. My cousin that I mentioned earlier is at present living in a house that I own (ex-council) and I had to get a fair rent approved before she moved in eight years ago. But because the house has more than one bedroom the council will only pay her a reduced amount of housing benefit.

Because of health problems and advancing years she is now on the books with B With Us (what a daft name) looking for a 1 bed ground floor property. This has proved impossible to find for the last four years.
Old 17-07-2012, 12:06   #44
God Member

Quote:
In fairness last time I saw you, you did look about 48 !
was that you ?

didnt recognize you with the new zimmer frame.Were you on your way to pick up your new dentures

Old 17-07-2012, 12:15   #45
God Member

They have brought the rules in to try and encourage people not to rely on benefits and work for it. Problem is they forgot to provide the jobs first

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..