Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-07-2012, 12:47   #46
God Member

Re: Changes To Housing Benefits

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
They have brought the rules in to try and encourage people not to rely on benefits and work for it. Problem is they forgot to provide the jobs first

i would hate to be one of these sacked soldiers cameron is getting rid of and be under 25 .Imagine coming home from serving your country just to face been homeless.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-07-2012, 15:36   #47
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
They have brought the rules in to try and encourage people not to rely on benefits and work for it. Problem is they forgot to provide the jobs first
How disgraceful, after 60 years on this Earth, you're telling me I have to earn my right to be here?

Why didn't someone tell me earlier?

I wasted my time in ignorance bringing up a family!

None of whom, nor myself, have a criminal record. So is that why I am being made to struggle?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2012, 17:45   #48
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
How disgraceful, after 60 years on this Earth, you're telling me I have to earn my right to be here?

None of whom, nor myself, have a criminal record. So is that why I am being made to struggle?
The problem there Less is with doing such a good job you don't need the help of bleeding heart liberal do gooders. Actually while call me Dave was at it and wanted to save a few bob why didn't he look at cold weather payments for people with bulging bank accounts, can't tell me Maggy Thatcher needs £250 a year cold weather payments, nor do people who no longer live in this country, just wondering why the last government didn't twig that one
Old 17-07-2012, 18:44   #49
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post

If you're not some Tory ponce with a bank account full of backhanders then you're spot on
Old 17-07-2012, 18:53   #50
Resting in Peace

Quote:
If you're not some Tory ponce with a bank account full of backhanders then you're spot on
Sorry Dave thats a long time since, its more than Tories with bank accounts full of backhanders mate, believe me
Old 17-07-2012, 20:06   #51

Lets take a reality check and look at a couple of examples from people I know who currently receive hb.
Family 1, family of 2 parents, with 4 kids, he works, she doesn't. He will not work any overtime what so ever because if he does he will loose some of his benefits. He earns a basic salary of 16,000, with the tax credits he takes home more than his supervisor who earns 21,000 per year.
his supervisor pays a mortgage, pays all his council tax, family 1 get a free house and a huge reduction in council tax.
supervisor is worse off by approx £100 per week after you take all of the benefits into account.
Supervisor cant afford to smoke, family man smokes and drinks, happy benefit society
Now im not saying all claimants are in this position but I am saying this, does the above sound fair to you ?
duggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2012, 20:17   #52
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Fair or not, its sod all to do wi the position Less is in. or the reason.
Old 17-07-2012, 20:24   #53

brick up the bedroom
duggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2012, 21:36   #54
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duggie View Post
brick up the bedroom
The one Less sleeps in?..
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2012, 21:40   #55
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duggie View Post
his supervisor pays a mortgage, pays all his council tax, family 1 get a free house and a huge reduction in council tax.
Not quite a free house is it, the supervisor will own his house eventually, the other one won't.

There probably is no fair system, but every time a new system is introduced by this government, it never seems to affect those well off... ie all the pals that pee in the same pot
Old 18-07-2012, 08:27   #56
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
.......Actually while call me Dave was at it and wanted to save a few bob why didn't he look at cold weather payments for people with bulging bank accounts, can't tell me Maggy Thatcher needs £250 a year cold weather payments, nor do people who no longer live in this country, just wondering why the last government didn't twig that one
I wonder what the cost of deciding who should get the payments would be compared to how much they would save?
Old 18-07-2012, 08:33   #57
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I wonder what the cost of deciding who should get the payments would be compared to how much they would save?
There are criteria in force for receiving other benefits, (which I think this threads about anyway) why not include this within the same parameters. Maggy Thatcher ain't eligible for housing benefit nor should she be eligible for winter fuel allowance either
Old 18-07-2012, 08:33   #58
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Not quite a free house is it, the supervisor will own his house eventually, the other one won't.

There probably is no fair system, but every time a new system is introduced by this government, it never seems to affect those well off... ie all the pals that pee in the same pot
Not a free house but free accommodation.
The supervisor has to maintain his house as well which can be very expensive when you start to need a new central heating boiler, kitchen and bathroom replacement etc
Old 18-07-2012, 08:42   #59
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I worked for 35 years at DWP.
Administration of means tests is expensive, and when comparatively low payouts (child benefit, winter fuel) are involved, the savings from identifying the people who won't qualify, are cancelled out by the cost of means testing them.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 08:49   #60
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I worked for 35 years at DWP.
Administration of means tests is expensive, and when comparatively low payouts (child benefit, winter fuel) are involved, the savings from identifying the people who won't qualify, are cancelled out by the cost of means testing them.
For heavens sake we have things like computers these days, I actually think people should have to apply for cold weather payments, with the parameters set out, I can't actually see a millionaire or somebody on a very high pension income (and their are a lot of those) actually applying for this benefit knowing they aint a snowballs chance of getting it, or why would they want to, maybe if this was more fairer those in genuine need might even get a bit more

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..