Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-07-2012, 08:52   #61
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Changes To Housing Benefits

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
For heavens sake we have things like computers these days, I actually think people should have to apply for cold weather payments, with the parameters set out, I can't actually see a millionaire or somebody on a very high pension income (and their are a lot of those) actually applying for this benefit knowing they aint a snowballs chance of getting it, or why would they want to, maybe if this was more fairer those in genuine need might even get a bit more

Being such a young fella I don't know how you go about getting this payment, as an old codger please could you explain it to me?
Old 18-07-2012, 08:56   #62
God Member

Quote:
For heavens sake we have things like computers these days, I actually think people should have to apply for cold weather payments, with the parameters set out, I can't actually see a millionaire or somebody on a very high pension income (and their are a lot of those) actually applying for this benefit knowing they aint a snowballs chance of getting it, or why would they want to, maybe if this was more fairer those in genuine need might even get a bit more
So instead of the computer automatically adding winter fuel payments to accounts according to the age of the person in the database, you intend to employ people to examine applications and input data.

There will be additional costs of detecting fraud of the people who lied on their application.

Last edited by Neil; 19-07-2012 at 07:46. Reason: fix quote
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 09:07   #63
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
So instead of the computer automatically adding winter fuel payments to accounts according to the age of the person in the database, you intend to employ people to examine applications and input data.

There will be additional costs of detecting fraud of the people who lied on their application.
Its a novel way off throwing taxpayers money away, to people who don't need it, it appears you have to jump through hoops to get most benefits, except cold weather payments, and lets not forget the £25 add ons every time the temp hits freezing for 7 consecutive days

Last edited by Neil; 19-07-2012 at 07:47. Reason: fix quote
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 09:11   #64
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Being such a young fella I don't know how you go about getting this payment, as an old codger please could you explain it to me?
You just get it Neil, irrespective of your need, and you watch it with the old codger jibe there's a lot of use about these days mate
Old 18-07-2012, 09:24   #65
God Member

Quote:
.. and lets not forget the £25 add ons every time the temp hits freezing for 7 consecutive days
That '£25 add on' is automatically computer generated to those people who have already been means tested (those on Pension Credit only)

Employing people is what causes high admin costs.

Last edited by MargaretR; 18-07-2012 at 09:29.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 09:28   #66
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
That '£25 add on' is automatically computer generated to those people who have already been means tested (those on Pension Credit only)
Sorry Margaret your right, I know Joan doesn't get it
Old 18-07-2012, 10:08   #67
Resting in Peace

Quote:
For heavens sake we have things like computers these days, I actually think people should have to apply for cold weather payments, with the parameters set out, I can't actually see a millionaire or somebody on a very high pension income (and their are a lot of those) actually applying for this benefit knowing they ain't a snowballs chance of getting it, or why would they want to, maybe if this was more fairer those in genuine need might even get a bit more
Former PMs claiming over £100,000 a year EACH to maintain luxury lifestyles | Mail Online
Well it seems I was wrong when I said the likes of Maggy Thatcher wouldn't claim the heating allowances if they had to apply, is there nothing these politicians and former politicians won't do to take the tax payer for a ride
Old 18-07-2012, 18:55   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
was that you ?

didnt recognize you with the new zimmer frame.Were you on your way to pick up your new dentures
Yep got my new dentures - good recommendation by you there Accyman best to stick to someone your friend uses!
wallop79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 19:30   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by duggie View Post
family 1 get a free house and a huge reduction in council tax.
I doubt very much he is getting a free house, with his earnings he will get some help towards his rent but it wont all be paid

Last edited by Neil; 19-07-2012 at 07:48. Reason: fix quote
wallop79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 22:09   #70
Senior Member+

It was just on the news, in London homeless under 25 has doubled from 300 people to 600 in the last year! Is this linked to Tory policy?
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 22:21   #71
God Member

yep and its only the start
Old 19-07-2012, 09:10   #72
Junior Member+

Housing benefit used to pay me £480 for my 2 bed.

They now pay £302 :/

Do the math, it's absolutely ridiculous!
WestEnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 09:18   #73
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
It was just on the news, in London homeless under 25 has doubled from 300 people to 600 in the last year! Is this linked to Tory policy?
Thats rather imposible if you think about it
Old 23-07-2012, 21:25   #74

no just more imigration
duggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 21:28   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestEnd View Post
Housing benefit used to pay me £480 for my 2 bed.

They now pay £302 :/

Do the math, it's absolutely ridiculous!
housing benefit have never paid me a penny, I am lucky you may say because I have a job and yes I probably am. If your disabled or over retirement age then I think housing should be free, if you are cabable of working then get on your bike as an old tory mp once said and get a job
duggie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..