Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-04-2012, 14:46   #46
Give, give, give member

Re: Charity Collectors On Broadway

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
I think I've solved this one.

Today it's Guide Dogs for the Blind, once again same set up as the others, ring of buckets, sound system and the added novelty of stuffed dogs !!

I asked one of them to see the permit which he did show me, having said that I wouldn't know if it was legit or not.

I then rang Guide Dogs for the Blind who said somebody does collect on their behalf with this type of set up and also collects for Help the Heroes.

From the name she gave me I came up with this;

UK Charity Aid About Charity Aid
We'll be there, next Friday.

No dogs.

No music blaring out.

No begging.

No permit.

Whoops.

Yes, with permit.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 13-04-2012, 14:59   #47

From what I understood of the article in the press it was to ban the so called charity chuggers, the one's that try & get your bank details & set up direct debits. Other collections i.e the tin shakers & bucket collectors as far as I know are still allowed.Thats why I asked Shelter what they were doing as they are well known for parading with their clip boards trying to get people's bank details, not shaking tins. This is from the Lancs Telegraph:
'INTRUSIVE’ charity collectors are set to be banned from operating in Accrington town centre.
Under new proposals, which cover Broadway and Market Way, Hyndburn Council plans to put an end to workers who collect personal data and set up direct debits on the street.The practice is known as chugging, short for ‘charity mugging’. The council said traditional ‘tin collectors’ will still be welcome in the town.Under the new rules, charity collectors would need to apply for permits under which personal data collecting and ‘hard sell’ tactics would be banned.

Personally Ive no problem with the tin shakers, its the agressive types like Shelter that follow & hassle you to get you to hand over your personal details that are the problem.

Last edited by wallop79; 13-04-2012 at 15:02.
wallop79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 15:08   #48
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallop79 View Post
From what I understood of the article in the press it was to ban the so called charity chuggers, the one's that try & get your bank details & set up direct debits. Other collections i.e the tin shakers & bucket collectors as far as I know are still allowed.Thats why I asked Shelter what they were doing as they are well known for parading with their clip boards trying to get people's bank details, not shaking tins. This is from the Lancs Telegraph:
'INTRUSIVE’ charity collectors are set to be banned from operating in Accrington town centre.
Under new proposals, which cover Broadway and Market Way, Hyndburn Council plans to put an end to workers who collect personal data and set up direct debits on the street.The practice is known as chugging, short for ‘charity mugging’. The council said traditional ‘tin collectors’ will still be welcome in the town.Under the new rules, charity collectors would need to apply for permits under which personal data collecting and ‘hard sell’ tactics would be banned.

Personally Ive no problem with the tin shakers, its the agressive types like Shelter that follow & hassle you to get you to hand over your personal details that are the problem.
It's actually against the law, to shake your collecting tins.

Bit hard for a Parkinson's charity.

As for chugging...not a chance.

I'm much to lazy to chase anyone up and down Broadway.

Old 13-04-2012, 16:08   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
It's actually against the law, to shake your collecting tins.

Bit hard for a Parkinson's charity.

As for chugging...not a chance.

I'm much to lazy to chase anyone up and down Broadway.
Trust you !
It's also against big issue laws to sell it sat down, do you think if I take a photo of "big issue darling" & send it to them we might get rid of the banshee?

Last edited by Neil; 13-04-2012 at 22:44. Reason: fix quote
wallop79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 16:21   #50
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallop79 View Post
It's also against big issue laws to sell it sat down
Lol. I'm taking a deckchair, and expecting good weather.

Old 13-04-2012, 17:49   #51
Resting in Peace

Quote:

No dogs.

No music blaring out.

No begging.

No permit.

Whoops.

Yes, with permit.

I know you shouldn't but give them tins a good shaking Rindi
Old 13-04-2012, 21:33   #52
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I know you shouldn't but give them tins a good shaking Rindi
I'm thinking about hiring tambourines.

In the hope of raising more money.

By passing ourselves off as the Band of Hope.

Old 14-04-2012, 08:59   #53
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I'm thinking about hiring tambourines.

In the hope of raising more money.

By passing ourselves off as the Band of Hope.

Hallelujah
Old 14-04-2012, 09:59   #54
Junior Member+

Information for Help for Heroes Only
I am a local Volunteer Help for Heroes Coordinator who unfortunately is never around when the Help for Heroes collectors are on Broadway and I would therefore appreciate your help to check if they are genuine fundraisers. Please ask them for their Help for Heroes Event/ID number then either post it on here (I can pm my mobile) or telephone Help for Heroes on 01725 514 105. The number can then be checked on the database to confirm if the street collection has been registered with the charity.

Help for Heroes Approval Guidelines for Street Collections
Before we can approve the registration we need to know the dates and locations of each collection. We also need to ensure that fundraisers understand that they will require a licence for street collections or permission for other collections.
Once we have received the details and are happy with the information, we can approve the registration and the fundraiser is issued with an ID number (street collections begin with 39)
The reference number will only be valid for the collection dates and venues we know about. Fundraisers will be asked to inform us of any new collection dates and venues so that our records are kept up to date.
If we receive enquiries from the authorities or members of the general public regarding a collection, we will not be able to confirm that they are a registered fundraiser, if we don’t have that actual collection date and location registered on our database. Fundraisers are reminded of this and asked to ensure that they have the necessary collecting licence from their local authority.
Authorisation Letters to apply for a licence from a local authority
Authorisation letters will need to specify the date and location of each collection. We will not be able to do a general letter approving numerous collections with no date or location. This will hopefully protect us and the general public from fraudulent collectors. If it is not practical to state specific collections, an expiry date will need to be included of three months from the date of issue. If a new letter is required to replace the expired version, we will need to ensure that we have received donations before we issue a replacement.

AnnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2012, 11:04   #55
God Member

Quote:

No dogs.

No music blaring out.

No begging.

No permit.

Whoops.

Yes, with permit.

You don't have to go naked now, your t-shirts are ready
Old 14-04-2012, 11:33   #56
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
You don't have to go naked now, your t-shirts are ready

Thank you so much.

Will be in before three today.

You're a star.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..