Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-03-2008, 23:55   #1
I am Banned

Question child car seats - taxis

It wasnt too long ago that i went shopping with my sister and her young son to asda, blackburn.
after struggling throughout the shop due to not being able to see where we were pushing the trolley......
(due to the baby seats being really high on top of the trolley -so blocking your view) (although i am getting to love my nephews toes).......we decided to get out whilst the going was good - it was raining, we had bought more than intended (us women eh ) and so we got a taxi.

it hadnt even entered my head until we sat down in the back of the taxi with my nephew on my knee...CARSEAT... what on earth are mums who dont drive but need to shop supposed to do

is there no law that states that taxis should have seats to accomodate young children ?

just wondering

( and if anyone dares to suggest that she should carry a car seat then you know where you can put said car seat V)
keetah992000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-03-2008, 03:35   #2
Senior Member+

Re: child car seats - taxis

Quote:
In a licensed taxi or licensed hire car, if a child restraint is not available then the child may travel unrestrained in the rear. This is the only exception for children under 3, and has been introduced for practical rather than safety reasons. You should always think about ways to make sure that a child seat is available.
thats of a govt website

so if there's one there a child has to use it if not then they dont
Old 15-03-2008, 03:36   #3
Senior Member+

for children over 3

Quote:
There are three exceptions where there is not a child seat available. In each case the child MUST use the adult belt instead. They are -

1) in a licensed taxi or private hire vehicle;

2) if the child is travelling on a short distance for reason of unexpected necessity;

3) if there are two occupied child restraints in the rear which prevent the fitment of a third.

In addition, a child 3 and over may travel unrestrained in the rear seat of a vehicle if seat belts are not available.
Old 15-03-2008, 03:42   #4
God Member

Its impractical though because you cant strap babies into the normal seat, and by using the word restraint it implies a seatbelt must be used by law, yet putting seatbelt around you AND a child is dangerous.

It is most certainly impractical for a taxi driver to have a car seat but should practically come trumps over safety? I think not.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2008, 09:51   #5
Senior Member+

Maybe they could at least carry a booster seat in the boot for times like this! i know it dont solve the whole business but would come in handy al the same.
Old 15-03-2008, 12:24   #6
God Member

Seemingly the new rules do not apply to taxis. It appears that in a taxi you are ok to just sit in the back with the baby on your knee.
Old 15-03-2008, 13:47   #7
Senior Member+

the problem with taxis carrying car seats is that they will be as cheap as possible and you cannot say whether they have been in an accident or not, which means they may be more dangerous in the event of an accident. the law says that the child doesnt have to be in a car seat if you are only travelling a short distance and it was unexpected, this applies to taxis as it obviously ridiculous to expect parents to carry a car seat on the off chance they might get a lift from someone they know or a taxi.

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2008, 16:25   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
the problem with taxis carrying car seats is that they will be as cheap as possible and you cannot say whether they have been in an accident or not, which means they may be more dangerous in the event of an accident. the law says that the child doesnt have to be in a car seat if you are only travelling a short distance and it was unexpected, this applies to taxis as it obviously ridiculous to expect parents to carry a car seat on the off chance they might get a lift from someone they know or a taxi.
Is it only short distances in a taxi that you don't need a car seat for, Emamum, or all taxi journeys?

What if you were going a fair distance in taxi and had to go on the motorway?
Old 15-03-2008, 16:37   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

its a strange one this to me,dont think its practical/viable for a taxi to carry this gear, whilst can see the point of having one, not many go long distances with kiddies in em, more folk use em that are carrying much luggage, (airports etc) and the luggage space is crammed, if they were actually in the cab it would restrict a full compliment of passengers, can't see how its viable in fairness the majority are catered for over the minority.
Old 15-03-2008, 17:32   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
It's not practical for a PARENT to carry a car seat, but it's practical for a Taxi driver to carry a Child seat, on off chance a sprog will get in?? yeah right!!

And what happens to the shoppers shopping at ASDA, when they need an empty boot??

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2008, 17:51   #11
Senior Member+

I said the taxi should at least carry 1 booster seat in the boot or in the back they are easy enough to move out the way if they are not needed and a booster seat can be as cheap as chips they still do the same job safely.

At the end of the day i would rather a booster seat be used for my child than not if the taxi were to crash at least then i would feel better knowing that at least a booster seat had been used for at least one of my children, better something than nothing!

Im sorry but i would rather a child lived and i squashed up 1 bag of shopping in the boot or put the bag of shopping in the back with me than for any kind of injury or worse to happen to any child for the sake of a bag of shopping which would be the size of the booster seat.

Obviously a taxi cant cater for all the different car seats that in reality could be needed and yes children will still need to travel on knees but i would still feel safer if at least 1 child at some times could have use of a booster.
Old 15-03-2008, 18:19   #12
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUMMIBOO View Post
Maybe they could at least carry a booster seat in the boot for times like this! i know it dont solve the whole business but would come in handy al the same.

All Taxis should have to have something like this fitted in the rear Car Safety - Child Seat Belt Adjuster and related Products You can use them instead of a booster seat as they are crash tested to ECE R44/03. The law states a suitable child restraint tested to ECE R44/03, it does not say a child booster.

I have one in my car for Tom. The seatbelt now fits him correctly and he is not sat on a plastic box.

They now sell them in Halfords for £10
Old 15-03-2008, 18:25   #13
God Member

Well, I hope they bring the law in that all Public vehicles have to be fitted with child safety seating!!! Oh the fun of a bus, with 50 Child seats in the boot!! FANTASTIC

Miracles do happen!!

Old 15-03-2008, 18:29   #14
Loz

How about if they kept a few at the taxi ranks and when you phone for a taxi state that you have a child and would like them to sit in it?
Old 15-03-2008, 18:31   #15
God Member

Another question. If your Child free mate offered to give you a lift somewhere.... would you expect her to have a child seat, because she has a car??

Miracles do happen!!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..