Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-10-2007, 20:54   #16

Re: Children Killed on M56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
I'm not one of those members. It's tragic, kids are pre occupied with other things, at that age. Thats why they need parents and for alot more years than these two young ones lived. Their senses have in no way developed into that of an adult, they cant judge speed/distance. It seems to me it was an adventure that went tragically wrong....christ, I cant recall the last time I paid any attention to my father when I was a kid.
I see what your saying but the simple bit is, even for a kid, motorway = danger dont go on it. I know ill ignore that and do it anyway.
Old 25-10-2007, 20:56   #17
God Member

yeah it is a big difference, but why did they not know where the kids where? what where they doing all afternoon?
Old 25-10-2007, 20:58   #18
God Member

That we will probably never know.
Old 25-10-2007, 21:01   #19

Id be mega pee'd off if it was my car that hit them too, think of the damage.
Old 25-10-2007, 21:01   #20
God Member

such a sad sad loss though, even though i didnt know the children i still feel for them
Old 25-10-2007, 21:02   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
I see what your saying but the simple bit is, even for a kid, motorway = danger dont go on it. I know ill ignore that and do it anyway.
Well you would have thought so, maybe they dint get as much parenting on such things. They maybe just realised they were running late an took a shortcut or something, I used to get worried when I lost track of time as a child. Knew the trouble I was gonna be in, maybe that over rode the fear of the motorway
Old 25-10-2007, 21:04   #22
Passed away 25-11-09

I find it hard to credit that anyone can assume a 6 year old should be "savvy" enough to be left to his own devices for several hours, particularly when he lives within yards of a busy motorway. No, of course the little boys shouldn't have tried to cross that road but they were little boys. Common sense doesn't always prevail when you're 6.

Kate, I used to roam too at that age but, though I lived on a main road, there was little traffic around and motorways were something you wouldn't have imagined. I had a friend who lived at Harwood Bar who used, regularly, to ride her pony from there to West End to visit me. She did that from the age of 10. You'd be crazy to consider it safe to let a child do it today.

All that aside, however, my point was that these kids were completely unsupervised all afternoon. I seem to remember a good many people who said, in response to a thread of mine about my granddaughter being allowed to ride her bike in front of the house, that they don't let their children out of their sight. Where's the difference with these poor children?
Old 25-10-2007, 21:24   #23
God Member

There is no difference Westender and if I remember rightly in that thread I said that children should be allowed to play out with supervision. I wonder if these parents will see any come back because IMO it amounts to child neglect.
Old 25-10-2007, 21:27   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
There is no difference Westender and if I remember rightly in that thread I said that children should be allowed to play out with supervision. I wonder if these parents will see any come back because IMO it amounts to child neglect.
Well if letting your child become overweight is tantamount to child neglect thesedays, I sure as hell dont see why this is not neglect.
Old 25-10-2007, 21:31   #25
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
Well if letting your child become overweight is tantamount to child neglect thesedays, I sure as hell dont see why this is not neglect.
We will have to wait and see if anything comes of it.
Old 25-10-2007, 21:34   #26
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post

Kate, I used to roam too at that age but, though I lived on a main road, there was little traffic around and motorways were something you wouldn't have imagined. I had a friend who lived at Harwood Bar who used, regularly, to ride her pony from there to West End to visit me. She did that from the age of 10. You'd be crazy to consider it safe to let a child do it today.

All that aside, however, my point was that these kids were completely unsupervised all afternoon. I seem to remember a good many people who said, in response to a thread of mine about my granddaughter being allowed to ride her bike in front of the house, that they don't let their children out of their sight. Where's the difference with these poor children?
I know Westender, not their fault though is it ? Poor little mites. Do feel, though, now is the time to bring back a new campaign for children on pavement/motorway drill.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2007, 21:36   #27
Passed away 25-11-09

That's what I think too, Bernadette. I was more disgusted with the father's attitude, he was mainly concerned with himself, in his position I'd be prostrate with grief and guilt. I don't believe in wrapping children up in cotton wool but there are limits.
Old 25-10-2007, 21:39   #28
God Member

Quote:
That's what I think too, Bernadette. I was more disgusted with the father's attitude, he was mainly concerned with himself, in his position I'd be prostrate with grief and guilt. I don't believe in wrapping children up in cotton wool but there are limits.
Yes but you or I would never be in the same position. To let a child of that age play out all afternoon is beyond my comprehension but allowed to play out they were and now their lifes have been snuffed out.
Old 25-10-2007, 21:46   #29
Resting in Peace

Quote:
That's what I think too, Bernadette. I was more disgusted with the father's attitude, he was mainly concerned with himself, in his position I'd be prostrate with grief and guilt. .
I'm sorry Westender, but how do you know how you would react in such terrible circumstances .. he is in shock after all, and may be things are intepretated incorrectly, only a few hours since this tradegy happened.
Don't be too quick to judge.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2007, 21:50   #30
God Member

we are all guilty of being too quick to judge Kate, especially me, but it is a fact that those little one's should of been supervised xx

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..