Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-10-2007, 20:19   #1
Passed away 25-11-09

Children Killed on M56

Two boys were knocked down and killed while walking across the carriageway of the M56 at Runcorn yesterday. It's a terrible tragedy but what on Earth were the children doing out on their own? One was 6 and the other 7.

The father of the younger boy was interviewed on radio today. He said the child had been out playing all afternoon and, "I thought he was playing on the street. When he didn't come home at 5 o clock I got worried." Obviously no one was keeping watch over these children who were little more than babies.

I know the area where the boys lived, it's a large estate surrounded by woodlands and the father said he had warned the child not to play in the woods and not to go past the motorway bridge. All well and good if he was talking about a teenager but this was a 6 year old for God's sake.

I'd like to think the man felt some guilt about letting his son play unsupervised but, from his last comment in the interview, I doubt it. "The doctor's been to see me and given me medication," he said. "They've suggested I go for counselling." Good to see where his priorities lie.
Accrington Web
Old 25-10-2007, 20:28   #2
God Member

Re: Children Killed on M56

What a terrible tragedy but as you say children of this age need close supervision.
Old 25-10-2007, 20:31   #3

Cant say i am thinking anything but what stupid little idiots and its thier own fault. sorry but its true.
Old 25-10-2007, 20:35   #4
Full Member+

Saints and Sinners Bingo Champion!
Bezerk Champion!

Sorry but I agree with Aleks on this, ok they should have been supervised. but at the age of 6 and 7 surely they knew they shouldn't play on the road let alone the motorway.
MITZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2007, 20:36   #5
God Member

Nice to see so much compassion
Old 25-10-2007, 20:40   #6
Resting in Peace

Understand your sentiments Westender, but in my young days, was cycling to Whalley at 7 years old, let's face it though times have moved on and more traffic dangers than ever.

Was listening to a short interview this week with the actor who played the Green Cross Code guy and this campaign helped to reduce the children traffic accidents from 40,000 >> 20,000. Expressed an opinion that now there is no public 'slogans'/campaign aimed at children having traffic awareness, and all being focused on the driver and their speeds, etc. Thought this was a very good point.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2007, 20:42   #7

I have no compassion for such stupid morons who do this then expect sympathy. It was thier own fault, they got told not too go there for a reason and decided they knew best. And im pretty sure im only saying what alot of members are thinking but not willing to write.
Old 25-10-2007, 20:43   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Understand your sentiments Westender, but in my young days, was cycling to Whalley at 7 years old, let's face it though times have moved on and more traffic dangers than ever.

Was listening to a short interview this week with the actor who played the Green Cross Code guy and this campaign helped to reduce the children traffic accidents from 40,000 >> 20,000. Expressed an opinion that now there is no public 'slogans'/campaign aimed at children having traffic awareness, and all being focused on the driver and their speeds, etc. Thought this was a very good point.

I think that's a very good point too, Katex.
Old 25-10-2007, 20:45   #9
God Member

They were children, lets get things into perspective here as a child if you are told not to do something it makes it even more attractive.
Old 25-10-2007, 20:47   #10
God Member

one of the kids had been out playing all afternoon at 6 years old? why oh why oh why? if Reece is out for more than 30 minutes i want to know where he is and he's 11
Old 25-10-2007, 20:49   #11
God Member

The parents have got to take responsability for this harsh as it seems. In this day and age you should know where your children are at all times IMO.
Old 25-10-2007, 20:51   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
They were children, lets get things into perspective here as a child if you are told not to do something it makes it even more attractive.
Sorry but something that serious you drill into your child. It never did me any harm. An yes i agree with you on the parents taking SOME of the blame. Its impossible to keep track of kids today though so most of it was their own silly fault.
Old 25-10-2007, 20:51   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
I have no compassion for such stupid morons who do this then expect sympathy. It was thier own fault, they got told not too go there for a reason and decided they knew best. And im pretty sure im only saying what alot of members are thinking but not willing to write.

I'm not one of those members. It's tragic, kids are pre occupied with other things, at that age. Thats why they need parents and for alot more years than these two young ones lived. Their senses have in no way developed into that of an adult, they cant judge speed/distance. It seems to me it was an adventure that went tragically wrong....christ, I cant recall the last time I paid any attention to my father when I was a kid.
Old 25-10-2007, 20:52   #14
God Member

yes your both right it should be drilled into the child, i live extremely close to the M65 and Reece wouldnt dare go down there
Old 25-10-2007, 20:54   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
yes your both right it should be drilled into the child, i live extremely close to the M65 and Reece wouldnt dare go down there
As you just said you would know where he was these parents didn't a big difference IMO.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..