Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-07-2007, 21:08   #31

Re: Condoms For Children

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
How skewed is society when a school nurse can dole out the morning after pill without a parent knowing, but cannot give paracetamol for a headache.
Haven't we got our values a bit mixed up?
the efects of a headache wont last as long as a unwanted kid
Accrington Web
Old 17-07-2007, 21:09   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
You can give all the free condoms there are going, but just like the horse taken to water you can not make it drink.
On the other hand, you can't shut the stable door after the horse has bolted. Once a kid has picked up AIDS, handing him/her a condom to help prevent it is a little futile.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2007, 21:10   #33
Beacon of light

So far Lindsay neither of those measures appears to be working very well.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2007, 21:20   #34
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
How skewed is society when a school nurse can dole out the morning after pill without a parent knowing, but cannot give paracetamol for a headache.
Haven't we got our values a bit mixed up?
That puzzles me too Margaret.I remember a story in the paper a couple of years ago where a member of school staff arranged an abortion for pupil without informing her parents and the member of staff was within the law to do so! Madness.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2007, 21:22   #35
Senior Member+

Gotta agree there Marg, a lot of it has go to be down to parenting or the lack of. I am not religious myself but I have my principles and I have explained to my child that I expect better of her than to end up pushing 2 kids round Accy in a buggy by the time she is 16. That may not meet wholesale approval on here but that's just my opinion, she is a bright kid and I want her to realise her full potential.
Old 17-07-2007, 21:26   #36
Resident Waffler

It meets with my approval Lindsay.

In my day any girl who'd put it about a bit was not really respected by any of the lads nor taken seriously as a girlfriend that they would take home to Mum.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2007, 22:15   #37

It's a shame ... but nowadays there seems to be more girls up for it than there used to be .......... they don't have the same pride in themselves and think it's the only way to be accepted.
Old 17-07-2007, 22:18   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
That puzzles me too Margaret.I remember a story in the paper a couple of years ago where a member of school staff arranged an abortion for pupil without informing her parents and the member of staff was within the law to do so! Madness.
And that's so bad ?

How about a young girl being made to keep a child by parents - and not being able to cope.

Kids have sex. Because it's fun. Give them free contraception and less will get pregnant, diseased etc. Being given a condom isn't suddenly going to turn a model catholic into the town bike. No matter how much you lot would like to think, kids can make their own decisions. And they can be just as good (or obviously as bad) as an adults.

Full education, easy availabilty of contraceptives and the rest is up to them, it's their lives after all.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2007, 22:36   #39
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamF View Post
Kids have sex.
Some maybe, but not all, and those that do under the age of sixteen are breaking the law.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2007, 22:46   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Some maybe, but not all, and those that do under the age of sixteen are breaking the law.
I'd say the majority of children by the age of 16 have had sex. I'd actually go as far as saying the vast majority. Breaking the law isn't even an issue. I'm trying not to come across as mean I'm just telling the truth, perhaps a some what blunt way.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2007, 09:47   #41
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

I would agree to this but my daughters 13and i cant imagine her having sex had that age!!!!

my daughters got a good head on her shoulders, and i know for a fact shes not having sex, i have always been open about this subject to her and always tell her, if you are not ready then just say no, if they come out with the bull**** about..."if you love me....." then dump em, cuz if they loved you they would respect ya and wait
i always say to her being a virgin is cool, and that she will get loads of respect!!
Old 18-07-2007, 09:55   #42
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamF View Post
No matter how much you lot would like to think, kids can make their own decisions. And they can be just as good (or obviously as bad) as an adults.

Full education, easy availabilty of contraceptives and the rest is up to them, it's their lives after all.

And of course you will be telling us they know everything there is to know about life so no guidance or advice is needed from adults
Old 18-07-2007, 12:37   #43
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Condoms For Children

Here’s another old fogey that agrees with your views Margaret Pilkington and WillowTheWhisp.
Old 18-07-2007, 13:31   #44
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
And of course you will be telling us they know everything there is to know about life so no guidance or advice is needed from adults
I think that you are confusing "life" with "sex". There is much more to life than sex, altho' when you are young and your hormones are raging, it is hard to see this point. I also get the sense throughout this thread that there is a gender bias ... for some reason it seems that people think early sex is worse for girls than boys. Probably because of the pregnancy aspect ... but, because a young person, by accident of birth, is the one that concieves and bears the child, should not be a factor in a debate about sexuality in young people ... in a discussion of teenage pregnancy and the responsibility questions surrounding it, it's ok., but it is a separate question.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2007, 15:22   #45
God Member

I think prevention at all costs, young people are having sex, so if we can avoid one teenage pregnancy then free condoms are the right way to go. It is all well and good to say it is illegal to have sex under the age of sixteen, that doesn't stop it happening as a walk round our streets shows.
BERNADETTE is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..