Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2005, 20:07   #1
I am Banned

cost effective

i just seen the news highlights and am disgusted to hear a woman is been refused treatment for her breast cancer because treating her isnt cost effective

so how does the NHS account for the millions spent treating illigal imigrants especialy as it is more than likely this woman has actualy paid national insurance and taxes where as they havnt
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-11-2005, 20:24   #2
God Member

Re: cost effective

Since when have the NHS bothered about costs? This women has been given a sentance of slow ligering pain then death yet some jobsworth willwaste more on meetings managers and statistics. They are a bunch of ................ well no need to even hint at the wording.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 20:48   #3
I am Banned

when the NHS is in such a state that it is scentencing our own countries people to a slow death isnt it about time we refused to treat non nationals

i know it sounds bad but make sure we can look after our own before we look after others

when i say our own i mean anyone born in this country or had paid national insurance contributions for at least 5 years
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 21:17   #4
Member.

This is a modern tragedy. This is the Britain of today and it’s not a nice place to live if you’re seriously ill with a treatable disease like Breast Cancer. God forbid what will happen if it ever comes to light that recent immigrants to the country might have received treatment of Herceptin. I am not saying this has happened, yet. It an expensive treatment at around £30,000. But what a piddling to pay for a life that is so important to the families of these people when you compare the cost of benefit fraud and wasted funding on failed community projects, or funding to promote free for all treatments for idiots who get ratted at the weekend and abuse the system. This is a sick country.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 21:19   #5
God Member

If the NHS is reaching a stage were it is penny pinching then I am glad I have private medical insurance. I have paid my NI and taxes for nearly 20 years and could end up treated the same as this women then I am with you on this.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 08-11-2005, 22:11   #6
Resident Waffler

What about the money wasted on artwork for the NHS?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 22:36   #7
Give, give, give member

It seems immoral that we have the knowledge to treat people, but then it comes down to a lottery as to where you live, if you will get treatment or not.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 22:39   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
It seems immoral that we have the knowledge to treat people, but then it comes down to a lottery as to where you live, if you will get treatment or not.

seems the class system will never escape us
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 22:43   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J
If the NHS is reaching a stage were it is penny pinching then I am glad I have private medical insurance. I have paid my NI and taxes for nearly 20 years and could end up treated the same as this women then I am with you on this.
this won't cheer you up then spug! a guy i used to know paid for BUPA for years, was unforunate to contract cancer and guess what? BUPA didn't want his money any more.
Old 08-11-2005, 22:44   #10
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker
seems the class system will never escape us
It's not down to class, it really is down to your postcode.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 22:44   #11
God Member

Cheers cashy just what I neededto cheer me up.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 08-11-2005, 22:49   #12
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
I believe its politics unfortunately, what better way of drawing attention to your budget problems than using the media to court a bit of negative publicity. Within 72 hour’s the lady gets her treatment and the trust extorts a few million extra out of the Government and the Government get the kudos for positive intervention. Everybody wins. But for the pain and utter unnecessary distress that is caused to these people whose partners and children believe they are going to die…..This is purely an assumption of course, but it wouldn’t be the first time, after all the NHS and it’s Trusts are been run by businessmen as a business these days..

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 06:49   #13
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

All the government statistics show that people who live in more affluent areas of the country are more likely to receive treatment. PCT's in Devon and Cornwall are already paying for Herceptin, whereas PCT's in the North West aren't. I was under the impression that Herceptin is still in the trial stages and more effective for people with late breast cancer rather than early stages. Having said that, if a woman has breast cancer and thinks that she's going to die, a drug still being in the trial stages will not put her off wanting it. It should be available to all PCT's next year.

Cashman is right about private health insurance. You can pay into BUPA for years, but as soon as you come down with something chronic that's expensive to treat ie, cancer, HIV.... They don't want you anymore and will not treat you. Makes you think that there is no point joining doesn't it.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 07:21   #14
God Member

Surely there must be a breach of contract there? They are giving previate medical insurance such that if you require medical assistance you are treated at their expense. Unless there is some small print excluding cancer etc then I doubt their stance would hold up in a court of law.

As for the original post, it is disgraceful that someone should be refused treatment. We are in a state where the individual is becoming a worthless commodity for the goverment to play with. What also bothers me is the amount of money that Camelot have in their coffers for 'good causes'. It shouldn't be required to use this money but if they can't distribute it more efficiently then perhaps it should be put into more healthcare particularly for stuff like cancer where we now have a good chance of treatment, to extend teh life expectancy or to help ease the suffering of those terminal cases.
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 09:11   #15
Resident Waffler

I had a relative who had insurance which would pay him when off work or in hospital. The amount paid out was in ratio to the premiums paid in. He developed an illness which made it likely that he would need time off work for hospital treatment. On the advice of the insurance company he increased his premiums so that he would receive a larger payment from them if and when the need arose.

When he did come to spend time in hospital and tried to claim on the insurance he was told it was invalid because he already had the condition before he increased his premiums. Not only did they not pay him the increased amount. They didn't pay him anything!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..