Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-02-2005, 15:01   #1
God Member

Council Loyalty

I've just had a quick look at tonights Telegraph website. It appears that our prudent council have decided to postpone their next full meeting, scheduled for Tuesday March 1st. This course of action will cost the ratepayer (i.e.us) several hundred pounds, if not over a thousand, in stationary reprints, postage, etc.

What, you are asking, is the cause of this unexpected extravaganza? Have Charlie and Camillia booked the town hall for a surprise wedding do? An unexpected visit by the Chancellor, with a cheque bailing out HBC's self-made cash crisis?

No. It's none of these things. HBC have postponed their meeting because of an evening kickabout between the Dingles and the Walkers. Yep, in the words of the esteemed leader:

"Coun Peter Britcliffe, leader of the council and a self-confessed Blackburn Rovers fan, said: "This is a very big sporting ocassion. It's one of the biggest we get and the pathway is open to the winner to get to the semi-final of the FA Cup. "

So there you have it. Its nice to know where your money is going and where your council's loyalty lies. Anyway,I'm sure Councillor Britcliife will get his usual hearty welcome on his next visit to the IES.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 24-02-2005 at 15:06.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-02-2005, 15:06   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Council Loyalty

He's fat he's round, he sold our chuffin town britcliffe britcliffe
Cafu01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2005, 15:55   #3
Senior Member+

Football match comes befor Council Meeting

How's this one, a HBC council meeting, one to discuss budgets and spending has been moved to Wednesday because of the Rovers / Burnley match.
Do you think HBC has got its priorities right
http://www.accringtonobserver.co.uk/..._id=12066.html

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2005, 15:56   #4
God Member

But you forgot to tell them what the council meeting was convened to decide, Tea.
Old 24-02-2005, 16:03   #5
Resident Waffler

Not something concerning the Panopticon by any chance was it?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2005, 16:04   #6
Senior Member+

I think tealeaf and myself have posted on the same subject

Albert Einstein.

Old 24-02-2005, 16:06   #7
God Member

Re: Football match comes befor Council Meeting

Ooops.....great minds think alike.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2005, 16:11   #8
Senior Member+

Re: Football match comes befor Council Meeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
Ooops.....great minds think alike.
It's a very interesting one, our leader putting his love of football before his HBC duties, mind they may have already decided who's spending what and what on

Albert Einstein.

Old 24-02-2005, 16:29   #9
Roy
Administrator

** I've merged the two topics together.
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2005, 16:33   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy
** I've merged the two topics together.
Thanks Roy

Albert Einstein.

Old 25-02-2005, 09:00   #11

For God's sake, isn't it time some people got a life?

The most important football match for many years between two local sides has been arranged at short notice. There is significant local interest in the borough, and if the councillors are really representative of the community, there will be significant local interest among councillors.

The Council meeting is to discuss the setting of the Council Tax for next year, and by law it doesn't have to be set before 15th March. So whether it is set on 1st or 2nd March is totally irrelevant.

So what better arrangement than to put the Council meeting back 24 hours? If the Council can't be flexible enough to do that, then it has really been swallowed up in its own sense of self importance.

Thousands of pounds in re-printing? Don't be stupid. A few flyers to tell people the Clayton Area Council meeting has been put back a week. Say £10 - £20? How many people go to the Clayton Area Council meeting anyway? The last one I went to there were about 20, most of whom were the usual sad people who have nothing better in their lives to do, who turn up to everything whatever time of the day or night you have the meeting.

These people are using this to have yet another swipe at the Council, and I think the Council are right to ignore them.
Stanleyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2005, 09:47   #12
God Member

>>How many people work at Scaitcliffe House?
Answer: Very few of them<<

>>These people are using this to have yet another swipe at the Council, and I think the Council are right to ignore them.<<

Please try and be consistent, it gets very confusing when people maintain multiple standpoints on an issue.
Old 25-02-2005, 11:55   #13
Resident Waffler

Now you're confusing me A-b. Are those quotes from another thread or have we lost some posts?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2005, 13:48   #14
God Member

Yes from post #11 in this thread and from the thread called "Everyone Out".
Old 25-02-2005, 15:22   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanleyguy
For God's sake, isn't it time some people got a life?

The most important football match for many years between two local sides has been arranged at short notice. There is significant local interest in the borough, and if the councillors are really representative of the community, there will be significant local interest among councillors.

The Council meeting is to discuss the setting of the Council Tax for next year, and by law it doesn't have to be set before 15th March. So whether it is set on 1st or 2nd March is totally irrelevant.

So what better arrangement than to put the Council meeting back 24 hours? If the Council can't be flexible enough to do that, then it has really been swallowed up in its own sense of self importance.

Thousands of pounds in re-printing? Don't be stupid. A few flyers to tell people the Clayton Area Council meeting has been put back a week. Say £10 - £20? How many people go to the Clayton Area Council meeting anyway? The last one I went to there were about 20, most of whom were the usual sad people who have nothing better in their lives to do, who turn up to everything whatever time of the day or night you have the meeting.

These people are using this to have yet another swipe at the Council, and I think the Council are right to ignore them.
Cllr O'Kane don't like it read page 7 this weeks Observer

Albert Einstein.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..