Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2009, 16:38   #16
God Member

Re: Council tenants offered bribes

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum View Post
sometimes its better not to live together, i prefer my own space tbh and get annoyed when theres other people under my feet, i also like my own big bed and dont want to have to share it every night.
I have an adjustable single bed and no man will ever come in or between me and it

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-02-2009, 16:39   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
i was wondering when teh right to buy scheme woudl come back to bite teh councils in the ass and look how expensive its getting

if peopel were eligable for mortgages tehy shoudl have been told to buy a house and leave council property but instead a lot of council tennants got to pick up very cheap houses which they sold later for a huge proffit or rented out and charged teh council twice as much as what they woudl have been paying if they had not sold the property in the first place

the scheme was there to be taken advantage of and i dont blame peopel for taking advantage but simply put teh right to buy scheme shoud never have existed in the first place
Telling people to get out of houses that regard as their homes would merely create Ghettos - as if we have not got enough of those already.An integrated community (unemployed and employes serves to keep the standard of their neighbourhood up.
forcing people out of their council houses would also serve as another dis-incentive to people to engage in paid employment.
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 17:04   #18
God Member

I am sure that we allready have ghetto's in one form or another but were these have evolved the next lot will be created. They cant fix basic services for love nor money yet have the cash for this kind of stunt. Now who do we blame erm erm erm oh yes the panic merchants.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 19:57   #19
God Member

I don't think this is an entirely new policy.. a similiar scheme was used by Hackney Council in the early 90's.. I did hear of someone who took a significant amout of money from the council to give up his home..he used the money to buy a small farm in Eire along with his brother... 5 years later he returned and his wife got another rented property from the same council.... nice business if you can get it.
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 23:53   #20
Give, give, give member

Perhaps the government are doing the same sort of gerrymandering that Dame Shirley Porter was found guilty of in the '90's, except in this case they want Labour supporters back in what was seen as their strongholds.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 00:03   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Perhaps the government are doing the same sort of gerrymandering that Dame Shirley Porter was found guilty of in the '90's, except in this case they want Labour supporters back in what was seen as their strongholds.

How dare you even think of that !!!..the Labour party would not stoop so low!
Old 08-02-2009, 00:05   #22
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mancie View Post
that i would agree with, if their was a labour party these days.
Old 08-02-2009, 00:08   #23
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Well Nu-Labour went so far to the right to secure middle England, they've got to come up with something for all the Little Englanders who deserted the traditional voting patterns, by voting for Thatcher, and bring the once safe seats back into the fold.

Old 08-02-2009, 00:40   #24
God Member

No "safe" seats no more.. the battle is on..we must rely on the spin.. AndrewB is the worst spinner I have ever come up against.. he is Tory ****.. but there are more profitable Tory spinners out there..alive on this web.. I'll not mention now
Old 08-02-2009, 09:05   #25
Give, give, give member

Quote:
No "safe" seats no more.. the battle is on..we must rely on the spin.. AndrewB is the worst spinner I have ever come up against.. he is Tory ****.. but there are more profitable Tory spinners out there..alive on this web.. I'll not mention now
Are there?

I'd say they aren't doing a particularly good job then.

Almost as badly as you're doing for Labour.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:20   #26
God Member

When and if it did go ahead it will be as bad as boundry changes to "embed" certain voters in certain areas. It is starting to look like manipulation of voting to benifit those in power. This would only make the divide in this country wider and alienate a fair sized proportion of the populace.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 08-02-2009, 09:25   #27
Give, give, give member

Getting back to the thread.

I have no problem with money being paid to people who are living in houses that have more bedrooms than they may now need, due to family growing up and moving out.

I don't think they should be forced to move, but moving house is always expensive, so money should be available so that they aren't out of pocket if they do decide to downsize, and free up accommodation for those who need more room.

Old 08-02-2009, 09:42   #28
God Member

If the money is paid then who ever decides to move should be given the best help possible. Should the councils that decide to go ahead with this have a select band of solicitors estate agents etc on the books so to speak to make it as smooth as possible? They cannot just dump those that do go ahead with the move once the keys are in the council office.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 08-02-2009, 09:47   #29
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
If the money is paid then who ever decides to move should be given the best help possible. Should the councils that decide to go ahead with this have a select band of solicitors estate agents etc on the books so to speak to make it as smooth as possible? They cannot just dump those that do go ahead with the move once the keys are in the council office.
I agree.

There is so little social housing stock that in reality there will probably be very few people willing to move, if suitable accommodation isn't also on offer, besides the money to make a move smoother and cost free.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..