Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2008, 17:15   #31
God Member

Re: dare I complain about the oaklea tavern..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasgow guy View Post
at the end of the day the pub should have a side door. it doesnt. poor show.

it doesn't have to. Surely whoever booked the venue should have noticed any possible hitches and then could have informed those with prams to not be with prams
Old 09-03-2008, 17:45   #32
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
it doesn't have to. Surely whoever booked the venue should have noticed any possible hitches and then could have informed those with prams to not be with prams
and if those who have prams are told not to bring them how would they then get to said function with baby..
its still wrong having to walk children through a busy pub on a saturday night..
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 17:56   #33
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
Can't agree with you there Maccawozzagod .. think this is definitely an oversight on the architect who acted on behalf of the brewery. Any function room attached to a pub ought to have a separate access in my opinion, particularly if the public bar is difficult to negotiate.

Lots of functions are of the types where people will be loaded with presents to take out ... and hek ! maybe a huge cake ... (hmmph that would be fun!). There could be a group including an exiting drummer and his equipment or, yes, somebody wheel-chair bound.

If there is a fire door which the Manager is prepared to open, then I think a lesson could be learned from Glasgow Guy's constructive criticism, and now up to them to mention to any future hirers of this room, that easy access facilities are available.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 19:00   #34
Senior Member+

As someone who has been to work with a DJ at many different venues, it is quite awkward having to fight through people with large, heavy items as not all venues have side entrances to make it easy so I understand how awkward it must have been getting a pram through somewhere like that (i dont know how id manage anywhere like that with my double pram, just tend to "carry" my 2 into any function we go to) But it cant be helped really if thats how the place is set out but I know that it does sometimes pay to ask if there is any other entrance / exit to make it easier for you as the majority of the time the staff are more than happy to help
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 19:09   #35
Beacon of light

I don't think that this has been asked but here goes.
Glasgow Guy have you spoken to the Manager of the Oaklea Tavern and expressed your concerns?
I'm sure that most managers would want to know if a customer has had a negative experience of their service.
I know that this will not remedy your experience, but it may prove helpful for others in a similar situation in the future.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 19:26   #36
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasgow guy View Post
its still wrong having to walk children through a busy pub on a saturday night..
i agree with that, and therefore i would not have booked a do,at a place where ya had to do that. its just been 1 of them things that can happen at quite a few venues. get over it.
Old 09-03-2008, 19:58   #37
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i agree with that, and therefore i would not have booked a do,at a place where ya had to do that. its just been 1 of them things that can happen at quite a few venues. get over it.
Amazing what your clever editing can do Cashy ...

Sure you are extremely adept at elbowing your way through many of the pubs in Accrington according to your past posts. You have just stated that you would not have booked a do at a place that would not accommodate your special needs, so you do recognise the problem then ? .. lost custom... doh !

If Kate and Accyjay are any sort of decent Managers, they will take this on board and look to addressing this problem with their brewery. It's called Customer Service. Confident they will, with or without this attitude of 'That's the way it is, so what, get over it'
Old 09-03-2008, 21:15   #38
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Amazing what your clever editing can do Cashy ...

Sure you are extremely adept at elbowing your way through many of the pubs in Accrington according to your past posts. You have just stated that you would not have booked a do at a place that would not accommodate your special needs, so you do recognise the problem then ? .. lost custom... doh !

If Kate and Accyjay are any sort of decent Managers, they will take this on board and look to addressing this problem with their brewery. It's called Customer Service. Confident they will, with or without this attitude of 'That's the way it is, so what, get over it'
yer baffling me here agree with what yer saying no problem,you fail to see what i'm saying i think?it dont matter a jot wether i can make me way through a crowded place, if i was sorting a do out, that involved the prescence of kiddies/babys, there acess n facilities would be on my list- now do ya get it?
Old 09-03-2008, 22:03   #39
Resting in Peace

Quote:
if i was sorting a do out, that involved the prescence of kiddies/babys, there acess n facilities would be on my list- now do ya get it?
Oh, yes, I get it Cashy ..so guess your functions would have to be at the local church hall then !

Most family functions include the very young and old and function rooms should recognise this ... so, although good to check if you are arranging a function .. still feel 'tis the Managers' job to note needs and point out their advantages and disadvantages to such guests. Difference between good and bad events management.
Old 09-03-2008, 22:14   #40
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Oh, yes, I get it Cashy ..so guess your functions would have to be at the local church hall then !

Most family functions include the very young and old and function rooms should recognise this ... so, although good to check if you are arranging a function .. still feel 'tis the Managers' job to note needs and point out their advantages and disadvantages to such guests. Difference between good and bad events management.
no theres plenty of places without walking through the main bar to enter a function room, you book the church hall its more suitable for ya
Old 09-03-2008, 22:26   #41
Resting in Peace

Quote:
no theres plenty of places without walking through the main bar to enter a function room, you book the church hall its more suitable for ya
Well, bet Kate at the Oaklea is relieved you are not their Marketing Manager ...
Old 09-03-2008, 22:44   #42
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Well, bet Kate at the Oaklea is relieved you are not their Marketing Manager ...
am i bovvered? i happen to like the place n pop in occasionally fer a meal, does that mean ive to bullsh***, you might but i say as i see. was in last friday afternoon actually fer me mates wake.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:03   #43

Well I like the Oaklea and go there quite often . If there's problems with access don't go or go somewhere else

.. "The more u see the less u know. The less u find out as u go." 'Sir Bono'

WalkOnBRFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 12:11   #44
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
was me own a few yrs back n did very well,thank you,was no magic formula just NO Bull****, n it worked just fine fer me,
Old 10-03-2008, 12:14   #45
Senior Member+

Could those people who have stated that the architect was at fault, please kindly air thier views directly at him. I'm not sure which cemetry he's buried in though or when he died, but I am pretty sure that he has passed away due to the fact that the building is well over 100 years old.

Not a single person approached either Kate or myself to ask for assistance, or even enquire about an alternative entrance to the room. As Harwood Red has already stated, there is an emergency door at the bottom of the stairs which leads to the function room.

The person that booked the room would have known that their guests would have to walk through the mian bar.

The views expressed here are my own & are not necessarily those of the site.
AccyJay is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..