Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-01-2006, 00:01   #1
Senior Member+

Desperate for English TV!

It's getting on for five years since I watched English telly. I'm not really counting the odd programmes I see when I visit Ossy as my nephew, Dean, tends to change channels or switch his PS2 on.

It isn't possible for us to get Sky as we face the wrong direction but we do watch BBC News on the computer and I wondered if anyone knew of a way that we could watch more programmes on there.

I came across a site www.unlimitedsky.tv/home.html

It promises unlimited viewing for around eight quid. A one off payment. I don't mind risking the money but I'm wary of giving my bank details and it does seem a little too good to be true.

Your views would be very welcome.
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 20-01-2006, 00:32   #2
land of hope and glory

Re: Desperate for English TV!

i want so much off this thing that i wośld not put my details over? i dont feel secure espeicialy (spelt wrong)when there are so many people tracking you!who knows what they are up to? i feel insecure full stop.
staggeringman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2006, 09:28   #3
God Member

Most decent shows turn up on UKNova a Peer to peer network. Whilst there are dubious copyright issues with this it would only be like watching Sky in Spain anyway as it is not meant to happen.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2006, 12:55   #4
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

You say you face the wrong direction. Are you sure it is not possible to fit a dish that will point the right way? What about looking over the roof in the other direction. It all depends on the type/layout of your property. Have no a nieghbour who can get sky that you could fit a twin or quad LNB on their dish so you can get a feed as well?
Old 20-01-2006, 13:22   #5
Super Moderator

You can't get English TV? You can't watch mediocre soaps with increasingly unbelievable story lines? You're missing reality programmes featuring self-centred Z-list celebrities who don't have an original thought in their heads? Count your blessings!
Old 20-01-2006, 13:56   #6
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Wynonie is right, you are missing nowt Junetta, not only do we have the type of programmes that he stated but we are also inundated with American cr@p too...

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2006, 20:06   #7
God Member

Here in California the British TV shows we get on the local PBS stations are sometimes over 20 years old .... examples , Are You Being Served .....more recently, Compo has just died on the " Last of the summer wine" ( have to admit his death and funeral episodes were good television, made me a bit teary eyed) and the episode where the Thora Hird character made her husband walk on the newspapers was a good laugh , and this week one of Barbara Windsors thick sons has just been shot on Eastenders . British TV is good at the cop shows , Dalziel and Pascoe/Insp Morse/ the Helen Mirren thing , I also enjoyed the "detective " show with Patrica Routledge, it was fun to trying spot the local landmarks around NE Lancs
Hopefully oneday American TV will air the Talking Heads series with the original actors , but I fear we will end-up with the parts being played by the unemployed cast of Friends .
American TV has this bad habit of buying production rights to Brit TV programs and then remaking them for the US market , 9 times out of 10 with abysmal results ,
Regards to all John
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2006, 21:53   #8
Senior Member+

Thanks everyone for your replies. I can't have a sky dish because I live in an apartment complex which has penthouses on the upper floor, therefore, no roof access. We did manage to have Spanish digital for two or three years but the amount of money which we had to pay compared with the amount of films which we received sort of negated that one! We didn't get the stuff we liked anyway. The good detective series which John has mentioned, news or those little half hour comedies, also known as ..........soaps, are well missed.
I'm sure that, those amongst you, who say I'm not missing anything, regularly sit down of an evening and watch something! You don't miss it 'til it's gone.
I tried out the UkNova but it appears that it has been closed down.
Back to the drawing board!
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2006, 22:11   #9
Senior Member+

I read this thread with excitment,,, only to find I had been misled by the title...... please excuse me..
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2006, 22:17   #10
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon
I read this thread with excitment,,, only to find I had been misled by the title...... please excuse me..
Calm down son.

TV= television, not a big bloke in panties.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2006, 01:30   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

hi junetta happy new year,can you not get a digi-box i have one in my apt,an i get bbc1 ,news ,sky news and all sorts and if its poss its well worth getting,good luck. p.s. i have me dish on the balcony floor,so long as its not obtrusive the president don,t mind.

Last edited by cashman; 21-01-2006 at 01:32.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2006, 02:46   #12
I am Banned

check out news groups yuo can get a lot of uk shows and usa shows and news groups are also a lot better than peer to peer

news groups you get your maximum download speed and also dont have to leave your pc running while you upload what you downloaded back as most decen peer to peer site operate a ratio sytem where you must upload what you download

if you want good news group service check out giganews , there are cheaper but i find giganews much more reliable and they have a long retention time so you dont need to rush to grab what you want
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2006, 07:44   #13
Resident Waffler

Steeljack, we get those same oldies on TV here too! We also get oldies from the USA and we get them repeated the following day too! For instance yesterday we had the same episode of "Murder She Wrote" followed by "Bergerac" that we'd had the day before. It would also have been possible by changeing channels to watch exactly the same an hour later, so there's not that much difference is there?

I have watched TV this week and I rckon I could have become word perfect with some scripts if I'd stayed glued all day as they are often repeated throughout the day too.

I know what you mean Junetta that you don't apprciate what you've got until it's gone. I used to watch several soap operas and then one summer we had no TV iin the caravan and I missed all the episodes of everything for several weeks and just never had the inclunation to bother catching up. I can't say I've really missed those but I do enjoy the odd thing (Sometimes some very odd things.) and I would probably miss TV if we never had one at all

Good luck in finding a suitable solution.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2006, 07:45   #14
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by junetta
We did manage to have Spanish digital for two or three years but the amount of money which we had to pay compared with the amount of films which we received sort of negated that one!
How did you get that? Using a dish? Because there is some English stuff ( not much I know ) on the same satellite as the Spanish stuff which is free. Which film channels did you get, Taquilla? Some good films on there at the moment
Old 21-01-2006, 08:40   #15
Roy
Administrator

UKNova hasn't shut down, they just randomly open up registrations. Keep trying every day and you will get lucky and get in. It is a fantastic source of uktv programs.
There is also bitmetv.org which has uk and american tv, they do the same with registrations though.
Roy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..