Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2007, 21:57   #31

Re: Disguised mobile phone masts

They have to put them up some were its like mobil,s phones,computer,s the world is changing very quickly with the things we have to day so we put up with it are not thats the way things are.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-06-2007, 15:39   #32
God Member

Maybe the changes going on are too fast for most. The way things are going we will have more technology outside than inside and thats getting scary.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 06:58   #33
God Member

Technology has brought many advantages, without pushing the boundaries of science and tech we would still be living in caves and the like, its by peoples inbuilt desire to move on that we live such a comfortable and relatively easy life now.

100 years ago I would have been sent down the pit and would probably have been dead before I reached the age I have. Science and technology has changed all that. It is also always going to be an exponential progression curve because as we learn one more thing it adds value to everything that went before. Most things are good, some get twisted into something bad.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:18   #34
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Technology has brought many advantages, without pushing the boundaries of science and tech we would still be living in caves and the like, its by peoples inbuilt desire to move on that we live such a comfortable and relatively easy life now.

100 years ago I would have been sent down the pit and would probably have been dead before I reached the age I have. Science and technology has changed all that. It is also always going to be an exponential progression curve because as we learn one more thing it adds value to everything that went before. Most things are good, some get twisted into something bad.

Apparently this 'easy life' has also made us vastly obese. I read the other day, as a nation, we were far healthier under rationing.

Also children have never been as inactive, playing out less, as well as playing less sport. Though I'm not suggesting sending them up chimneys, or down the pit, as a quick fix to remedy this.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:21   #35
Senior Member+

Not a bad idea for some of them though Rindy !
Old 08-06-2007, 08:42   #36
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Apparently this 'easy life' has also made us vastly obese.
I hope your talking about yourself lard arse
I have to work hard to stay the shape I am.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:55   #37
God Member

On the radio yesterday morning they are blaming Microwave ovens, err as was pointed out by the DJ, Its what you put IN them that matters

I bet the country was less obese, healthier I doubt it as kids were still suffering from many dieses that we have erradicated.

Old 08-06-2007, 10:20   #38
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
I bet the country was less obese, healthier I doubt it as kids were still suffering from many dieses that we have erradicated.
I'm not talking about the poverty of Victorian times, but the '40's and '50's, when we had rationing.

Nutritionists compared our diet of today, with that of sixty years ago, and found the latter to be much more the healthier option.

Limited fat, very limited sugar, high fibre/low protein, lots of vegetables, and of course not as many preservatives as we have today, were our 'fresh' food is shipped thousands of miles, and so needs artifical preservatives to survive the journey.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 12:40   #39
God Member

I'd agree about all the processed stuff and additives, I persoanlly reckon its this coupled with the massive increase in carbohydrate in our diet. Mix that with a much more sedentary lifestyle now is the real reason for our increasing obesity

Old 08-06-2007, 13:01   #40
God Member

A major problem in the 40's and 50's (I lived through it) was air pollution. All the terraced houses (there were far more of them then) burnt coal. There were numerous mill chimneys all belching out smoke too. In winter when everybody needed to heat their homes a short walk outside resulted in soot specks on your face -ladies carried powder compacts to conceal the muck.

On the day after bonfire night you didn't stir out unless you absolutely had to because of thick smog that lasted all day if not longer.In London the smog spells were frequent and notorious for causing deaths. Burnley geographically is in a basin and had the highest rates of suicide because they rarely saw the sun in winter, and a shorter life expectancy due to lung disease (partly due to 'miners lung').

Cigarette smoking was fashionable and accepted because we were not aware that the smoke pollution was damaging.The Smoke Control Act came in the early 60's. Coal was replaced by coke which still gave off fumes but not smoke. Eventually gas and electric fires were used and even later - central heating.

We have now replaced one sort of air pollution with others-
vehicle exhaust fumes (known to be damaging- vehicle ownership was rare in the 40s & 50s) and these high tech microwave and radio emissions ,which we are not sure about ..............YET!!!!.

Last edited by MargaretR; 08-06-2007 at 13:07.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..