Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2007, 19:03   #31
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: DNA Yea or Nay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Cashy, you can hope all you like, but with jails already busting at the seams, I think that realistic sentencing is just a pipe dream.

If DNA was so useful in getting crimes solved.......then why aren't more crimes being solved?.......as I said previously we have the largest DNA database in the world(allegedly).
dont really know enough about the database but accept what you say, begs the question though WHO is actually on it?criminals? i doubt if theres many.
Old 06-09-2007, 19:04   #32
God Member

ok Margaret, maybe so, but surely it would be the same if they brought these i.d cards out that they are trying for?
Old 06-09-2007, 19:05   #33
Beacon of light

It might make it easier to catch criminals....but until you have sentences which are deterrents then you will continue to have criminal behaviour repeated when these criminals are released.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 19:07   #34
God Member

Quote:
It might make it easier to catch criminals....but until you have sentences which are deterrents then you will continue to have criminal behaviour repeated when these criminals are released.

yes i know what your saying about the courts being to soft on the criminals, but will we actually have a choice in the matter for the dna testing?
Old 06-09-2007, 19:09   #35
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

i also think it MIGHT make a differance, but surely the crap sentences they give at the moment are better than these people walking free?
Old 06-09-2007, 19:11   #36
Beacon of light

I will go to prison before I will carry an ID card....these are another infringement of personal privacy....with all the problems of personal information being held on computers.
I have no ID card now...do you think the government finds it hard to extract taxes out of me.....no, of course it doesn't. Ther is already enough information on me, held by government departments.

If my identity was stolen as it could well be(from one of these ID cards) how could I prove who I am? It would be even worse if I was out of the country and could not prove my identity on my return.....I would be stateless.

All these developments worry me greatly.
Old 06-09-2007, 19:11   #37
God Member

Innocent until proven guilty well not in my opinion. There is varying degrees of guilt and thats it. No one is innocent because they must have done something to be questioned in the first place. At one time it was that the prosecution had to prove your guilt now its the other way around and you have to prove beyond reasonable doubt you are innocent. Then chuck in a sentence that has taken into account human rights sympathy from the judge time served on remand etc the sentance is short. Add to that the perks then you have the govenments version of butlins so there is no deterent at all. If sentencing was on the same level of bleating from human rights mobs soft polititions etc life would be life and 5 years would mean 5 years misbehave inside and its extended. Take away all the mod cons and leave nowt other than basics.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 19:12   #38
Beacon of light

Well, you may have a choice to start with, but how long would it be before the government decided that every baby that is born should have its DNA obtained for future reference? I tell you it is very scary.
Old 06-09-2007, 19:14   #39
God Member

Quote:
If my identity was stolen as it could well be(from one of these ID cards) how could I prove who I am? It would be even worse if I was out of the country and could not prove my identity on my return.....I would be stateless.

you would prove it the same way as you would prove it now i suppose
Old 06-09-2007, 19:16   #40
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
or maybe build more jails?
Would be good to get them to build there own jail and save some money in the process.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 19:17   #41
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
Would be good to get them to build there own jail and save some money in the process.

this is true but i cant ever see that happening
Old 06-09-2007, 19:19   #42
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
I will go to prison before I will carry an ID card....these are another infringement of personal privacy....with all the problems of personal information being held on computers.
I have no ID card now...do you think the government finds it hard to extract taxes out of me.....no, of course it doesn't. Ther is already enough information on me, held by government departments.

All these developments worry me greatly.
you would go to prison? thats a bit extreme? i had one when i lived in spain (residencia) and found it no problem,also had a social security card,thats something you pay when you have a business (like NHS contributions) both were alien to me,but i never had any problem, personally i think the scaremongers are frightening folk.
Old 06-09-2007, 19:20   #43
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
you would prove it the same way as you would prove it now i suppose
The Id card are supposed to contain Biometric information......so suppose someone cloned their biometric details onto my personal information from my ID card.....I would have a pretty tough time getting anyone to believe I was who I say I am...because their biometric details would override any information that i could provide.
Now is that scary...or is that scary?
Old 06-09-2007, 19:24   #44
God Member

i think everyones opinions of certain things will always differ and rightly so too, the world wouldnt be a world if we all agreed on the same things
Old 06-09-2007, 19:24   #45
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
you would go to prison? thats a bit extreme? i had one when i lived in spain (residencia) and found it no problem,also had a social security card,thats something you pay when you have a business (like NHS contributions) both were alien to me,but i never had any problem, personally i think the scaremongers are frightening folk.

Yes, I would go to prison.......and Cashy when you lived in Spain, did your social security card hold any biometric details? I can't imagine that it did.
I have no problem in carrying a passport...it has photo ID in it and other personal details that identify me...it does not, however have any biometric details.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..