Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2007, 19:24   #46
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: DNA Yea or Nay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
The Id card are supposed to contain Biometric information......so suppose someone cloned their biometric details onto my personal information from my ID card.....I would have a pretty tough time getting anyone to believe I was who I say I am...because their biometric details would override any information that i could provide.
Now is that scary...or is that scary?
a fingerprint would counter that i think,thats what the spanish have.
Old 06-09-2007, 19:25   #47
Beacon of light

what I am trying to say is that i do not wish for my DNA or any other biometric details to be held on a government system, because i do not trust the security of such a system.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 19:26   #48
Apprentice Geriatric

Unhappy Re: DNA Yea or Nay?

Fortunately in a court of law a person’s guilt has to be proven beyond reasonable doubt before the accused can be convicted of an offence and a sentence passed.

But I can see the day when that is turned around. Indeed it is already happening today with calls for extending the time that the police can hold a suspect without charging them. But that’s OK. It’s only for terrorist suspects. Pardon me but suspect means guilt not established nor innocence.

Today you can be suspected of a crime, taken into custody and have your home rifled whilst the police look for evidence. All on a suspicion. The police don’t even have to specify what that suspicion is. If you have a suspicion about something you have to have something to base your suspicion on.
Old 06-09-2007, 19:29   #49
Senior Member+

I would happily carry an ID card and have my dna recorded, as far as |I can see this is the way forward; if the authorities can link the dna info to passport info and definite id it would solve a lot of problems. I don't think this is all too "Orwellian" I think it's a positive move forward in the battle against identity theft and many other crimes .
There have been numerous cases solved recently using new DNA technology, some of them over 20 years old.
This is cutting edge, are we going to be rallying against the use of DNA technology if it brings Madeleine's disappearance to a conclusion... No!
It's the only way to solve many of these "witness free" crimes.
Imagine if DNA testing had been around when Marilyn died or when JFK was shot........
Old 06-09-2007, 19:30   #50
Apprentice Geriatric

Talking Re: DNA Yea or Nay?

Quote:
I will go to prison before I will carry an ID card....these are another infringement of personal privacy....with all the problems of personal information being held on computers.
I have no ID card now...do you think the government finds it hard to extract taxes out of me.....no, of course it doesn't. Ther is already enough information on me, held by government departments.

If my identity was stolen as it could well be(from one of these ID cards) how could I prove who I am? It would be even worse if I was out of the country and could not prove my identity on my return.....I would be stateless.

All these developments worry me greatly.
I hope that we can get adjoining cells because I won’t have an ID card even if it means going to prison.
Old 06-09-2007, 19:30   #51
God Member

For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. So whatever they have as ID it would have to be updated and reviewed the same way as security software on your computer. There will never be a definative answer to our problems even with DNA being unique to an individual. People wont accept ID cards because they could be "fiddled" yet the same aplies to passports which most rely on.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 19:31   #52
God Member

ok jambutty for all us dumb women out there....could you please put that in english?
Old 06-09-2007, 19:32   #53
Apprentice Geriatric

Unhappy Re: DNA Yea or Nay?

Quote:
Well, you may have a choice to start with, but how long would it be before the government decided that every baby that is born should have its DNA obtained for future reference? I tell you it is very scary.
That possibility has already been muted and I think that at some time in the future that is where the government of the day will make a start.
Old 06-09-2007, 19:33   #54
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
I would happily carry an ID card and have my dna recorded, as far as |I can see this is the way forward; if the authorities can link the dna info to passport info and definite id it would solve a lot of problems. I don't think this is all too "Orwellian" I think it's a positive move forward in the battle against identity theft and many other crimes .
There have been numerous cases solved recently using new DNA technology, some of them over 20 years old.
This is cutting edge, are we going to be rallying against the use of DNA technology if it brings Madeleine's disappearance to a conclusion... No!
Imagine if DNA testing had been around when Marilyn died or when JFK was shot........

well said Lindsay
Old 06-09-2007, 19:34   #55
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: DNA Yea or Nay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
ok jambutty for all us dumb women out there....could you please put that in english?
Put what in English?
Old 06-09-2007, 19:35   #56
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Put what in English?

# 48.........
Old 06-09-2007, 19:39   #57
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod View Post
Yes but would your progeny? We have to be careful what we wish for.

If there was DNA evidence the Madeleine case would have been solved by now.
Old 06-09-2007, 19:40   #58
God Member

whats a progeny?
Old 06-09-2007, 19:41   #59
Apprentice Geriatric

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
# 48.........
It seems perfectly legible and readable to me.
Old 06-09-2007, 19:41   #60
Senior Member+

Looking at the press today it seems like there is dna evidence, it's taken so long because the tiny amounts have had to be "grown" to allow testing; they are expecting an arrest in the next 48 hours.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..