Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2007, 19:42   #61
Senior Member+

Re: DNA Yea or Nay?

Progeny is your offspring Flashy .
Old 06-09-2007, 19:45   #62
Beacon of light

Well, Lindsay, you will be at the front of the queue giving your DNA and I would hope to be a million miles away....maybe i won't live long enough to see these development come to fruition.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 19:47   #63
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: DNA Yea or Nay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
whats a progeny?
Children.

I have to add a few more words because the post police are moaning about "children" being too short.
Old 06-09-2007, 19:48   #64
Beacon of light

Jambutty I hope we are in adjoining cells too!
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 19:49   #65
God Member

thanx Lindsay and jb
Old 06-09-2007, 20:00   #66
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
That possibility has already been muted and I think that at some time in the future that is where the government of the day will make a start.
well if a child of mine grew up to be a terrorist/murderer/ rapist or whatever, then i would want it catching and incarcerating n if a DNA sample at birth does that then that suits me fine.
Old 06-09-2007, 20:03   #67
Senior Member+

people who drive and use a passport
carry id cards all the time so i cant see
an argument against id cards as such
the using of dna is a different subject surely

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 20:34   #68

I think is a good thing to do.
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 22:57   #69
God Member

After reading all the different opinions I still don't have a problem with my DNA being stored.
Old 07-09-2007, 07:07   #70
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
Innocent until proven guilty well not in my opinion. There is varying degrees of guilt and thats it. No one is innocent because they must have done something to be questioned in the first place.

No wonder people are still ostracised even when they have been proven innocent if people think like that. Simply being suspected and questioned doesn't mean that the person has done something wrong. People are questioned and eliminated from enquiries all the time. That's often how the guilty person is found, by eliminating the innocent ones. What about miscarriages of justice? What about the woman sent to jail for murdering her children when it was later proved that they both dies from the same genetic disease? What was she 'guilty' of apart from having given birth to them?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:21   #71

I still think that the DNA information will be used for purposes other than crime detection or I.D.purposes.
It would be too good a target for big business to resist.
Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 07:47   #72
Resident Waffler

It would be awful if insurance companies used it to wriggle out of paying out on claims. Can you see it? You have a critical illness insurance. You seem fit and healthy when you take out the policy but then you become ill and your DNA proves you were susceptible to it so when you claim they refuse to pay out because you already had the tendancy in your genes?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:14   #73
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post
Imagine the situation. You return your hire car/van/lorry and the person who hires it next is involved in some criminal activity using the vehicle. Your DNA is in that car but you were alone in bed at the time the crime was committed..
Err...wouldn't they just question/arrest the person who hired the actual vehicle after you, when the crime had been committed? After all we are told we are photographed 300 times per day by CCTV.

It doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to work that one out.

I'm in favour of it, if only to help in cases of missing children like Madeline McCann and Ben Needham.

Plus I've nothing to hide.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 08:31   #74
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: DNA Yea or Nay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Err...wouldn't they just question/arrest the person who hired the actual vehicle after you, when the crime had been committed? After all we are told we are photographed 300 times per day by CCTV.

It doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to work that one out.

I'm in favour of it, if only to help in cases of missing children like Madeline McCann and Ben Needham.

Plus I've nothing to hide.
But Sherlock Holmes would have questioned the other driver who had an alibi so the innocent guy would be prime suspect.

If you are going to try and pull apart a theory at least take it ALL into account not cherry pick what suits your repsonse.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:33   #75
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: DNA Yea or Nay?

Once upon a time a European government gathered in all the details possible of its citizens and stored them on a huge paper database. This was in the days before computers.

Then they started to exterminate certain groups of people or put them to work in slave camps to rid the nation of ‘impure’ citizens. No one outside the country and even the vast majority in the country knew anything about what was happening.

The world found out when the NAZIS were defeated.

Now tell me that a DNA database of every person in the UK is not dangerous.

Could it happen to day? Who knows but we are already being ruled by the Commissionaires, the un-elected Commissionaires, in Brussels. These same people who overrule what MEP’s want when it doesn’t suit their own plan. No one gave Hitler a real chance of becoming the German Chancellor.

We, the working classes, are already being held down by the aristocracy and upper class.

As I keep pointing out, be careful what you wish for today because your desire will affect your children and those who come after more than it will affect you.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..