Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-09-2005, 19:31   #1
God Member

Doctors

How much trouble are people having trying to get an appointment at the doctors? I phoned this afternoon for one only to be told to phone between 8:30 and 8:45 in the morning for one.
As I work shifts and and that my work place is out of town I at one time could arrange it around my work but now it is down to pot luck. Is this the way things are going or is this some daft rule they have come up with?

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-09-2005, 19:45   #2
God Member

Re: Doctors

Its similar at the surgery where I go, you have to phone after 8am for an appointment, fortunately I dont have to go often but last time I didn't get through till 8.05am and all the morning appointments where taken! Its unbelievable really though I blame all the time wasters.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2005, 20:28   #3
Accy Goddess

The Doctors & Nurses are Brilliant!!!
The receptionists are usually quite helpfull has well.
We never have trouble getting an appointment.
mick and I have been with the same surgery for years.
Wouldnt change them for a gold clock.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2005, 20:48   #4
God Member

The Dr's and nurses at our surgery are very good also, and although you usually have to wait till later in the day you can usually see the Dr in the evenings. I know people that when they phone to see the Dr are offered an appointed about a fortnight later, and if its urgent have to sit and wait for hours in open surgery!
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2005, 21:10   #5
God Member

The same appointments procedure is standard in every practice now I think. It can be a ball ache at 8am when you have kids to get ready for school and your busy hanging on the phone waiting for an appointment. In any emergency though (e.g. anything to do with the kiddies or my appendix) my Doctor's receptionists always find a way to squeeze you in.

I have to travel from one end of Accy all the way to Clayton to my surgery, there are many doctors that are nearer but I wouldn't change mine for anything he's a 'top quack'

Last edited by Tinkerbelle; 14-09-2005 at 21:12.
Tinkerbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2005, 21:17   #6

i think that you have to plan your illness these days!!! book it a few weeks in advance!!
Old 14-09-2005, 21:21   #7
God Member

Never have a problem with my doctors anyway.
Don't actually use the doctors that much, as I work with quite a lot of geriatrics and hypochondriacs, so a bit of a sniffle, I think myself brave enough to over come.
The doctor has a lot more important things to do than dish out antibiotics to people with a sniffle or a little cough.
But on the odd occasion I have had to ring for one of the kiddies, I am sure I would get in the same day. And my doctor has got a very good sense of humour, so actually even if he doesn't prescribe any medication, you still come out laughing.

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2005, 21:24   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slinky
as I work with quite a lot of geriatrics and hypochondriacs
You also live next door to one sshhh ffs don't tell her
Old 14-09-2005, 21:37   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
You also live next door to one sshhh ffs don't tell her

((((((((((mum)))))))))))))) tinks called you a hypochondriac, and a geriatric, and a tttttw................well maybe I won't tell her

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2005, 21:43   #10
Resident Waffler

Now that the government is aware of the problem in many surgeries where you have to phone up on the day for an appointment and get one if you're lucky they reckon they are going to do something about it.

The surgeries apparently have been doing this in order to meet government targets. Mad isn't it?

If you work in an occupation where you can't just pop off at the drop of a hat when you manage to get an appointment that day it becomes almost impossible to go for a routine check-up for something.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2005, 23:01   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

if your not in the queue getting soaked or whatever by abour 8-10 in the morning then you have not much chance of getting an appointment at ours, getting through on the phone when they open is nigh on impossible, i complained the last winter cos an owd cock of about 75 or more was soaked and frozen next to me in the queue, the doctor told me this is not the place to complain was gobsmacked.
Old 15-09-2005, 00:33   #12
white rabbits

if they give you an appointment for 3 weeks time,,say allright illget the undertaker to drop me off...
Old 15-09-2005, 07:35   #13
Resident Waffler

Can't get an appointment for 3 weeks time Granny. If you don't get one on the day you have to come back the next day and try again ad infinitum until you finally get one. This can mean having several days with time off work which just isn't feasable for a lot of people, so if they need regular check us for something they tend to just not bother which could be dangerous if an ongoing condition is deteriorating unnoticed.

I remember you telling us about that chap who got soaked cashman. The attitude was ridiculous.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2005, 08:05   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
if your not in the queue getting soaked or whatever by abour 8-10 in the morning then you have not much chance of getting an appointment at ours, getting through on the phone when they open is nigh on impossible, i complained the last winter cos an owd cock of about 75 or more was soaked and frozen next to me in the queue, the doctor told me this is not the place to complain was gobsmacked.
A sign of our caring doctors losing it. If a 75 year old guy or lady had that kkind of agro trying to see a doctor i would give up my place. They have earned the right to be respected why should some GP deny it them!

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2005, 21:51   #15
God Member

I'm lucky with my doctors if mum is taken ill i can ring them up and either they will ring me back or come out and see her the same day even if i ring up at 3pm theyll come out after evening surgery. I have regular visits to my doctor but most of the time they arent urgent ones so i can book one a week in advance it doesnt bother me but when they are urgent i can normally get one the same day.
shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..