Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-11-2006, 15:39   #1
I am Banned

Thumbs down Doctors appointments

Been trying for ages to get an appointment for a referal for my child to go back to the consultant at the hospital for an operation thats due & looks like i've to push it through earlier than expected after school have reported that its getting worse.

Just tried again & least spoke to somebody helpful at the surgery & she admitted that the change of system for appointments have severely effected those needing referals causing un necessary delay but yet told to ring again in the morning & try to see if i get any luck to see my GP - not like i haven't been doing that for mnths & given up cos i keep getting told its full & to try again tommoz 1st thing

Is it just me or is it a common thing like always with the NHS??
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 14-11-2006, 15:46   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: Doctors appointments

It used to be normal for me too but if I tell them I've had a letter from either the doc asking me to make an appointment or the hospital asking me to make an appointment they now do that without all this "you have to ring on the day and try to get in" bit.

The other alternative used to be to camp out on the doorstep and be the first in when they opened at 8:30 - that meant you usually stood a chance of getting to see someone later that day.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2006, 15:52   #3
God Member

Mel, I've said before, I think the docs your at is useless, I know it's only my opinion but from what you tell me it's the only opinion I can form of the place.

Yes the new appointments procedure can be a bit of a pain for things like referals but if I rang my doctor (formally Dr Wards at Clayton) the receptionists would sort it out.

The good side to the appointment procedure is that if your unwell overnight you can ring the doctor first thing and see him that same day. With the old appointments you had to plan an illness 2 week in advance.
Old 14-11-2006, 15:52   #4
I am Banned

Trouble is that dont neccessarily guarantee u getting seen tho, i did that last year when i had my kidney infection [in agony] i had to wait in waiting room till everyone had been seen & if there was time then they would consider if i could be seen, everybody was eventually seen & i was left waiting they only forgotten me anyway & weren't going to let me see GP but lucky [or not] i doubled over in pain that they put me straight thro for a test & anti biotics & painkillers, bloody typical, healthier people got seen before me
Old 14-11-2006, 15:53   #5
Resident Waffler

Isn't Dr. Ward there any more?

Old 14-11-2006, 15:54   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Isn't Dr. Ward there any more?
No he's taken a much deserved retirement to the Lake District
Old 14-11-2006, 15:55   #7
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle
Mel, I've said before, I think the docs your at is useless, I know it's only my opinion but from what you tell me it's the only opinion I can form of the place.

Yes the new appointments procedure can be a bit of a pain for things like referals but if I rang my doctor (formally Dr Wards at Clayton) the receptionists would sort it out.

The good side to the appointment procedure is that if your unwell overnight you can ring the doctor first thing and see him that same day. With the old appointments you had to plan an illness 2 week in advance.
Unfortunately im not in much position to pick & choose my GP that much without having a car so have to get somewhere near & on the whole they have same proceedure which is opposite to the above^^ cos u still may not get seen even if u need to.
Old 14-11-2006, 15:56   #8
Resident Waffler

Crikey I feel old! I remember Dr. Kutar who was there before him! (And Dr. Dohl who died in a house fire) I remember Chris Ward coming down from Scotland.

Old 14-11-2006, 15:57   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel
Unfortunately im not in much position to pick & choose my GP that much without having a car so have to get somewhere near & on the whole they have same proceedure
It's not that much further down the road to the one at the side of Empire Bingo place (sorry I forget the docs name) and having no car is a bonus, it's a nightmare to park near there
Old 14-11-2006, 16:01   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
I remember Chris Ward coming down from Scotland.
He was an excellent doctor. A loss to myself and the people of Clayton. I moved from Clayton 13 years but insisted on staying with Dr Ward, it was a trek if any of the family needed to see him but a worth while trek.
Old 14-11-2006, 16:03   #11
I am Banned

Quote:
It's not that much further down the road to the one at the side of Empire Bingo place (sorry I forget the docs name) and having no car is a bonus, it's a nightmare to park near there
Its further & its a pain specially during winter & in pain, Unless i get recommendations that that is better, i know Peel House is the same pain in the backside as mine is atm
Old 14-11-2006, 16:08   #12
Resident Waffler

Quote:
He was an excellent doctor. A loss to myself and the people of Clayton. I moved from Clayton 13 years but insisted on staying with Dr Ward, it was a trek if any of the family needed to see him but a worth while trek.
A friend of mine who moved from Clayton to Accy stayed with him too. Haven't talked to her about doctors for ages so I didn't know he'd retired. He used to pop in the bank when I worked in Clayton - did our flu jabs for us which the bank kindly paid for so we wouldn't have time off in the winter through being ill.

Old 14-11-2006, 16:09   #13
Resident Waffler

I'm with Peel House and the system does seem to be better now. I don't have to plan illnesses in advance any more.

Old 14-11-2006, 16:15   #14
God Member

Yeah, might be 6 month ago since he retired. It was in the Observer. I'm not sure of the doctor who's taken over as the other partner at the practice, I know Dr Hewitt is still there though, I don' like her but shhh don't tell anyone
Old 14-11-2006, 16:23   #15
God Member

The Doctors that is at the side of Empire Bingo is my doctor..... Dr.Dixon & Manual. Great doctors and have never had any problems and have been with them 9 years now.

I went with them because, when I got pregnant I was with Gupter on king st. and I wouldn't trust that man with my dog, let alone me and my un-born child, and children when they were born.

Even when I have to walk to the doctors it takes me from here less than 15 minutes, just straight down willows lane.

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..