Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2005, 22:49   #46

Re: Dreaming of Pennine Lancashire

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Anything a little more concrete about what you'd like to see?

I don't know why but I'm humming that old Hitler Youth anthem Tomorrow Belongs to Me, that meaningless dream of a bright big shiney tomorrow, but no actual statement of how it is to be achieved.
how it can be achieved? simple! get some people on board within the powers that be that arent completely out of touch with todays youth, and create a vibrant atmosphere where young people can be kept safe and spend time positively in new attractive buildings instead of woodworm filled pointless places!
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-11-2005, 22:53   #47
God Member

Thats beyond the councils cognative processes can you aim a little bit higher and burn their minds out?

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 22:55   #48
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody
how it can be achieved? simple! get some people on board within the powers that be that arent completely out of touch with todays youth, and create a vibrant atmosphere where young people can be kept safe and spend time positively in new attractive buildings instead of woodworm filled pointless places!
Ok pretend I have the 'power' and you are one of the young people I take on board, tell me what you would like to see in Hynburn rather than a hazy decription about a safe new building?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 23:00   #49

Quote:
Ok pretend I have the 'power' and you are one of the young people I take on board, tell me what you would like to see in Hynburn rather than a hazy decription about a safe new building?
ok if role play is you're thing...

im not an architecht...its just an idea which is desperately needed!

i would make one suggestion though - to get community centres back into use, and teach kids to play sports and play musical instruments and give them something to focus on! WITHOUT charge!
(have you seen how much guitar teachers and day care centres charge these days?!?!)
Old 06-11-2005, 23:04   #50
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
why in the world do we need to keep derelict old buildings where some brown bread geezers painted pictures of mills and horse+carts?!?!
what we need is to get rid of all these pointless meaningless buildings and to replace them with safe places where young people can spend time positively....too much are people worrying about restoring the past when they shuold be preparing for the future
strange that -there used to be plenty of such places,i.e. youth clubs,church youth clubs,cubs,scouts, etc but they all seemed to die a death many years ago due to lack of support,i don't know the answer,and would be surprised if you do.
Old 06-11-2005, 23:05   #51
Give, give, give member

Quote:
ok if role play is you're thing...

im not an architecht...its just an idea which is desperately needed!

i would make one suggestion though - to get community centres back into use, and teach kids to play sports and play musical instruments and give them something to focus on! WITHOUT charge!
(have you seen how much guitar teachers and day care centres charge these days?!?!)
Ok, so you want a youth club with guitar tuition, in a new building rather than an old one?

Try the New Era.

No housing? Could I not tempt you to an affordable loft apartment, in a converted cotton warehouse?

Old 06-11-2005, 23:09   #52

Quote:
Ok, so you want a youth club with guitar tuition, in a new building rather than an old one?

Try the New Era.

No housing? Could I not tempt you to an affordable loft apartment, in a converted cotton warehouse?
exactly what i am trying to get across - these sights of 'heritage' should be re-vamped for MORE places like new era

i am merely expressing a view of mine; that more interest is focused on restoring the past rather than looking to improve life for the future generation
Old 06-11-2005, 23:13   #53
Give, give, give member

Quote:
exactly what i am trying to get across - these sights of 'heritage' should be re-vamped for MORE places like new era

i am merely expressing a view of mine; that more interest is focused on restoring the past rather than looking to improve life for the future generation
Rather than take the short term about what you might like to do now, try and think of the bigger picture, if you still want to hang around youth centres in ten years it might be a little bit worrying.

In ten years time you might want a house or a flat to live in, which could be in a convertyed warehouse rather than one of the crap new builds being thrown up now by Barrett and co.

Old 06-11-2005, 23:16   #54

how is wanting to build youth centres for my community a short-term thing?!
i assure you im not just trying to blag something that id quite fancy right now lol
(if i wanted that the legal drinking age would be altered considerably hahaha)
Old 06-11-2005, 23:20   #55
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Question Re: Dreaming of Pennine Lancashire

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman
strange that -there used to be plenty of such places,i.e. youth clubs,church youth clubs,cubs,scouts, etc but they all seemed to die a death many years ago due to lack of support,i don't know the answer,and would be surprised if you do.
if they created more, do you honestly think they would be well supported? or just die a death as i said earlier. i honestly believe this whole subject goes far deeper than this and the answers are far more uncomfortable.
Old 06-11-2005, 23:24   #56
God Member

Quote:
if they created more, do you honestly think they would be well supported? or just die a death as i said earlier. i honestly believe this whole subject goes far deeper than this and the answers are far more uncomfortable.
The problem with the answers is they will be like marmite loved by some hated by others.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 06-11-2005, 23:26   #57

Quote:
all the idea needs is a will from young people to help themselves, which sadly cannot be taught or 'drilled in'
Old 06-11-2005, 23:32   #58
God Member

Quote:
all the idea needs is a will from young people to help themselves, which sadly cannot be taught or 'drilled in'
What if that will and self esteem is so low it cannot be found?

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 06-11-2005, 23:38   #59

....which is why i think reps from places like new era should visit schools; because even if people dont jump at the chance to go to one of these places, the knowledge that there is another way is in their mind for them to ponder over!
Old 07-11-2005, 00:20   #60
Give, give, give member

Quote:
....which is why i think reps from places like new era should visit schools; because even if people dont jump at the chance to go to one of these places, the knowledge that there is another way is in their mind for them to ponder over!
When the nice people have been to all the schools to tell them of their existance, a nice man could go and call for them, hold their hand and take then there.

People died in the war, fighting for freedom, not much older than these young people, who apparently haven't the initative to source the amenities we already have locally.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..