Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2005, 10:23   #76
Resident Waffler

Re: Dreaming of Pennine Lancashire

At the moment I think it's just a blue sky dream but ya gotta start someplace.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-11-2005, 10:26   #77
God Member

Its the blue sky dream thats the worrying bit. There has been so many grand plans aired for accy that came to nothing people arnt bothered anymore because they do not believe it will happen.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 10:33   #78
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J
Has anybody seen the plans yet for all that is alledgedly going to happen in the area? I would hate to think that all this noise is just that and nothing is going to happen.
There are no plans yet, the report by Livesey/Wilson was simply a list of ideas. They have now been approached to develop some of the ideas - this thread was simply to ask which of the ideas we thought would work in Hyndburn. All up for grabs at the moment!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 10:54   #79
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
There are no plans yet, the report by Livesey/Wilson was simply a list of ideas. They have now been approached to develop some of the ideas - this thread was simply to ask which of the ideas we thought would work in Hyndburn. All up for grabs at the moment!
Just for the fun of it why don’t we between us come up with a list of ideas for improving the borough?

Perhaps discuss what could be done with:

A Canal side Site.
A town centre Site.
An old Industrial Site.
A local Heritage Site.
A Recreational Site.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -

Last edited by Doug; 07-11-2005 at 12:32.
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 12:29   #80
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug
Just for the fun of it why don’t we between us come up with a list of ideas for improving the borough?
Perhaps discuss what could be done with:

A Canal side Site. - visit skipton and see what they have done
A town centre Site. - that we have, just needs a little imagination and flair
An old Industrial Site.- think we have plenty of those up and down the area
A local Heritage Site.- could be developed inside a refurbished industrial site

A Recreational Site. - we have plenty of those, look at all the parks, may be the "friends of rhyddings park" could be the first to help that one along.
I see that Burnley have a heritage grant of £2M for the refurb of old buildings in the weavers triangle.

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 12:39   #81
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

The local heritage site could be housed inside the old warehouse at church. The canal area at the back could be re vamped to form a pretty backdrop for people who then call in at the regenerated Commercial Pub next door for a meal and a pint after visiting the heritage centre. They could overlook our lovely canal area from the newly created beer garden in the summer. You only have to look at the regeneration of Manchester's canal side to see that industrial can also be attractive...

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 12:41   #82
Resident Waffler

Maybe part of the regeneration of that canalside area could incorporate barge trips.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 12:43   #83
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie
The local heritage site could be housed inside the old warehouse at church. The canal area at the back could be re vamped to form a pretty backdrop for people who then call in at the regenerated Commercial Pub next door for a meal and a pint after visiting the heritage centre. They could overlook our lovely canal area from the newly created beer garden in the summer. You only have to look at the regeneration of Manchester's canal side to see that industrial can also be attractive...
That would be good, but is the Commercial pub to remain, HBC have knocked down all the houses adjacent.

Albert Einstein.

Old 07-11-2005, 12:45   #84
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
Maybe part of the regeneration of that canalside area could incorporate barge trips.
I'd love that.. Skipton also have barge trips. I think the Manchester regeneration has brought in a lot of money. The canalside bars are always heaving in the summer. You can sit in a beer garden with your meal and a drink waving to the people going by on barges. We have 2 old buildings to start with on our canal at Church. Why they have been allowed to fester for so long is a mystery to me..

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 12:45   #85
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp
they run them at foulridge,a very enjoyable trip which seems pretty well supported.
Old 07-11-2005, 12:48   #86
Member.

Park you’re a gentleman. One can only hope that somehow we can lift the malaise that hangs over people in this town and that the moaning can be turned into positive and meaningful dialogue….

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 07-11-2005, 12:49   #87
Senior Member+

Interesting little slide show

http://www.skiptonweb.co.uk/gallery/...ipton+Pictures

Albert Einstein.

Old 07-11-2005, 12:54   #88
Senior Member+

Quote:
Park you’re a gentleman. One can only hope that somehow we can lift the malaise that hangs over people in this town and that the moaning can be turned into positive and meaningful dialogue….
Thank you Doug, there are lots of thing that could be done, I have worked on drawings for the complete refurb of an old building in Liverpool, flat conversion.As lettie indicated in her post the old warehouse at church is crying out for a refurb as is the pub, both main road sites with traffic lights, cars and buses stopping in front of them, what a nice advert for Hyndburn that would make.

Albert Einstein.

Old 07-11-2005, 13:16   #89
Member.

In relation to willows and letties post its funny how great minds think alike, I was thinking of living life museum with interactive displays and living models demonstrating Canal life and related industries. Building refurbishment could include reproduction equipment were it no longer exists or replacement with reclaimed materials. Why not a barge moored within the pool so that original hoisting gear can be demonstrated or used interactively by the public.

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Old 07-11-2005, 14:30   #90
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Wink Re: Dreaming of Pennine Lancashire

Quote:
In relation to willows and letties post its funny how great minds think alike, I was thinking of living life museum with interactive displays and living models demonstrating Canal life and related industries. Building refurbishment could include reproduction equipment were it no longer exists or replacement with reclaimed materials. Why not a barge moored within the pool so that original hoisting gear can be demonstrated or used interactively by the public.
when i say that the response usually is fools seldom differ,lol

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..