Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2005, 10:12   #1
God Member

Dreaming of Pennine Lancashire

Regardless of what you think about the branding of 'Pennine Lancashire', it looks like some of the plans in the report are being progressed.

I don't know which ones yet and I'll keep you informed but I'm interested to hear your views about which ideas you'd want for Hyndburn.

For anyone who doesn't know about 'Dreaming about Pennine Lancashire' it is a blue sky thinking report done by Anthony Wilson and Yvette Livesey (originally from Accrington) which gives some really interesting ideas about developing things in East Lancashire. This link gives a fairly good idea of most of the things in the report.

http://www.elevate-eastlancs.co.uk/p...m_news_12.html

So of all the ideas mentioned which ones do you think Hyndburn should be aiming for - remember this is another opportunity that we don't want Hyndburn to miss out on.

By the way, as far as the name is concerned - wasn't it the Accrington Stanley boss who when announcing that the stadium would be called Interlink Stadium said, 'I don't care what they want to call it as long as they give us the money'. This is exactly the same situation. Put the name to one side for now and think about the potential investment.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-11-2005, 10:52   #2
Give, give, give member

Re: Dreaming of Pennine Lancashire

Sorry Gayle not with you on this one.:

HaveTony Wilson [Granada news/ Factory records/ Mancunian fop] and his wife Yvette Livsey [former Miss United Kindom/QEGS Old Girl/ex Whalley resident,] been paid to commission ideas for lots of er..........'challenging' areas in the northwest?

I remember seeing an item on television about an area where they came up with similar ideas. I can't remember where it was, but it was somewhere with a cocncrete jungle new town centre like St Helens.

A 'Fashion tower' for our area? It makes the Pantopican look appealing.

These two have about as much a grasp on reality as Prince Andrew and Fergie.

Still at least what they were paid for the report will fund their Manchester lifestyle and keep them in theiR Manchester fashion..... oops, ivory tower.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 11:25   #3

I like this sort of thinking on redevelopment. Having relocated to Accrington this year I am enjoyinging the peace and quiet here. So I do not want something that is going to increase tourism and traffic.

I would say no to football attractions, Pennine playground and International events. I would like to see the encouragement of arts and an amateur theatre with new spaces provided. Something to inspire those around here that are failing to achieve.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:30   #4
Give, give, give member

Traffic would increase sadly, as before flying on to Milan after London, all the world's fashion editors and buyers would make a detour to Lancashire to worship at our 'fashion tower'.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 12:39   #5
God Member

Before I reply in some detail to this, could anyone possibly confirm if the author of this report is in any way related to the Tony Wilson who owned the Manchester night-spot and drugs den, the Hycienda? The one that featured a regular weekly shoot-up outside? Please say no......even I could not imagine public money being funded on someone like that to produce something like this.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 14:05   #6
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I'm pretty sure that it is the former owner of the Hacienda Tealeaf. Having read briefly through the report, I do like the idea of regenerating the canal sides. I think that the Church Commercial and warehouse area has great potential...

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 14:39   #7
God Member

If all this redevelopment goes ahead a take it the public has no say as per the norm in these cases.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 17:00   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda
Sorry Gayle not with you on this one.:
Don't shoot the messenger - I didn't say whether I was with it or not!

Old 06-11-2005, 17:13   #9
God Member

I will say this though. If any of the ideas for Pennine Lancashire do take shape I hope that Hyndburn is in with a chance of getting some of them. Otherwise, it will be just another example of us missing opportunities that are put on a plate.

Yes, some of the ideas are far fetched but they should be taken for what they were - blue sky thinking. If any of the ideas are developed they will have to become more practical and achievable. The thing is that there will be the money to support them and make them a reality and it's that money that I don't want Hyndburn to miss out on.

It seems to me that the same people on this site who are moaning about Hyndburn being in a mess and past its prime are the very same people who immediately knock any opportunities that present themselves.

I'm not suggesting that we open our doors to every single hair brained scheme but could we at least be open minded about the possibilities - other wise the town will continue to decline and decline and decline!

Old 06-11-2005, 17:17   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie
I'm pretty sure that it is the former owner of the Hacienda Tealeaf. Having read briefly through the report, I do like the idea of regenerating the canal sides. I think that the Church Commercial and warehouse area has great potential...
agree with the potential of that area,was once told the warehouse was a listed building? would that make any differance if it was the case?
Old 06-11-2005, 17:19   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

just seen gayles post, and have to agree about open mindedness it costs nowt to check things out!
Old 06-11-2005, 17:20   #12
God Member

Yes Tealeaf it is the same man. He's rebranded himself Anthony Wilson now and works as a consultant blue sky thinker. Nice job if you can get it!

Old 06-11-2005, 18:30   #13
Member.

Get us the funding to set up a Hyndburn Co Operative Partnership and then let those people apply for funding directly, that way the people of Hyndburn will get what they want and all the profit can be ploughed back into further developments and area enhancement and not into the pocket of Wilson & Co……………..

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 18:48   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
Yes Tealeaf it is the same man. He's rebranded himself Anthony Wilson now and works as a consultant blue sky thinker. Nice job if you can get it!
Forgive the ignorance but what is a blue sky thinker?

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 18:51   #15
Member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J
Forgive the ignorance but what is a blue sky thinker?
An Hot head with airy ideas and an eye for a profit........(An Opinion) There are some good Ideas but why can't this be held in local hands.....

On - Stanley – On
- Who’s Laughing Now -
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..