Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-01-2010, 07:49   #16
God Member

Re: Failed Politicians?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
More people in the U.K. vote in talent show finals, than they do in elections.

Britain may have talent, but it ain't got enough time to vote.

Perhaps elections in the future will be televised contests.

Thank you Dame Amy Winehouse, that was fantastic, and don't go anywhere. Join us after the commercial break to press your red button, and decide who YOU want to send to the Palace of Westminster.

The candidates, and details of how you can vote for them, if you liked their act, are at the bottom of your screen now.

See you after the break.

Brilliant idea ... I might be tempted to invest a few bucks .... who would be the sponsor?
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-01-2010, 09:28   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post
I agree Rindi. Forgive the phrase but I'm from around here! P*ssing in the same pot and it's probably as old as prostitution and taxes.

However today's politicians are taking £_telephone_numbers legitimately and much more on the side I suspect.

From all parties I find very few actually reflect or truly understand the area they represent mostly because it is University rather than life that gives them an advantage and it is money and wealth in the first place that provide the ability to get a good education. Not always but not far off always.
I totally agree Graham, that's the reason why we should be represented by some one local irrespective of political colour. Ken Hargreaves worked tirelessly for the community before entering Parliament and has been doing the same since leaving Parliament, and I think he was respected by all sides of the political divide
Old 22-01-2010, 09:31   #18
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Maybe ... but with more accountability and immediacy, some, maybe many of those brassed off voters would feel as if they had more control over their elected representatives, would feel more involved. You never know. I've always accepted that voters have short memories ... but most can remember a year back. I know that there would be difficulties, but, what is in place now doesn't seem to be working all that well.
The problem there Eric would be lack of stability, with the chance of a Government change very 12 months, it just wouldn't work
Old 22-01-2010, 10:43   #19
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I totally agree Graham, that's the reason why we should be represented by some one local irrespective of political colour. Ken Hargreaves worked tirelessly for the community before entering Parliament and has been doing the same since leaving Parliament, and I think he was respected by all sides of the political divide
I know what you mean, but if all local Conservative associations thought so parochially, John Major, Margaret Thatcher, or Winston Churchill would never had a seat, having no ties to the constituencies they represented in Huntingdon, Finchley, and Oldham/Northwest Manchester/Dundee/Epping/Woodford, respectively.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2010, 11:11   #20
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
I know what you mean, but if all local Conservative associations thought so parochially, John Major, Margaret Thatcher, or Winston Churchill would never had a seat, having no ties to the constituencies they represented in Huntingdon, Finchley, and Oldham/Northwest Manchester/Dundee/Epping/Woodford, respectively.
thats another damn good reason why they should have local ties.
Old 22-01-2010, 11:24   #21
God Member

Quote:
I don't think somebody necessarily needs to be from the local area. It is no doubt a factor, but we shouldn't cast off the talents of non-locals solely on that basis. An outsider who moves into the constituency can still be an excellent constituency MP.
Old 22-01-2010, 11:32   #22
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewb View Post
I don't think somebody necessarily needs to be from the local area. It is no doubt a factor, but we shouldn't cast off the talents of non-locals solely on that basis. An outsider who moves into the constituency can still be an excellent constituency MP.
No one local or otherwise, is any damn use if they aint existed in the real world.
Old 22-01-2010, 11:35   #23
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
thats another damn good reason why they should have local ties.
Major, born Carshalton, Surrey.

Thatcher, born in a stable, oh no, that was another Messiah, born Grantham. Lincolnshire.

Churchill, born Blenheim Palace, Oxfordshire.

Not only weren't these three local to the constituencies they represented, they weren't even local to the county.

Old 22-01-2010, 11:45   #24
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Not totally sure, though I know Logan wasn't born locally, I think the only locally declared candidate so far is Graham Jones.

BNP Andrew Eccles

Labour Graham Jones

Christian Peoples Kevin Logan

Liberal Democrat Andrew Rankine

English Democrats Chris Read

Old 22-01-2010, 12:04   #25
Give, give, give member

'SHAMED outgoing MPs will pocket £10million from taxpayers in “golden goodbyes”.

'About 100 MPs giving up their seats at the next election because of their expenses abuses will each receive severance payments of up to £105,000.'
Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Disgraced MPs to get £100k payoff

That should help keep their moats weed free, and duck islands in tip-top condition, at least for a while.

Old 22-01-2010, 12:19   #26
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
'SHAMED outgoing MPs will pocket £10million from taxpayers in “golden goodbyes”.

'About 100 MPs giving up their seats at the next election because of their expenses abuses will each receive severance payments of up to £105,000.'
Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express | UK News :: Disgraced MPs to get £100k payoff

That should help keep their moats weed free, and duck islands in tip-top condition, at least for a while.
Funny, i never got sod all from any job i jacked.
Old 22-01-2010, 12:24   #27
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Funny, i never got sod all from any job i jacked.
You should have defrauded the company you worked for, to benefit from such generous severance benefits.

Old 22-01-2010, 12:32   #28
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
You should have defrauded the company you worked for, to benefit from such generous severance benefits.

jeez what a numpty i was.
Old 22-01-2010, 13:06   #29
Give, give, give member

At last, some good news.

At least one dodgy politican isn't going to benefit financially from his 'retirement'.

Expenses breach MP Harry Cohen could lose £65,000 pay-off | Politics | guardian.co.uk

Old 22-01-2010, 13:08   #30
Give, give, give member

Quote:
At last, some good news.

At least one dodgy politican isn't going to benefit financially from his 'retirement'.

Expenses breach MP Harry Cohen could lose £65,000 pay-off | Politics | guardian.co.uk
It's just been announced he definitely won't be getting his resettlement package.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..