Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-01-2010, 16:55   #1
Senior Member+

Failed Politicians?

What is it with our politicians and our society. Politicians and senior businessmen goof and then they get a plum job.
Today, Jack Straw appears to be taking the blame for our involvement in the Iraq War - GW 2. After the election do we expect to see him as an EU Commissioner or Lord Straw of Shadsworth, after shielding Tony & Gordon.
Yesterday Gordie said one thing - today Lady Kinnock - remember her? appeared to say the opposite.
Paddy Ashdown - failure as a Liberal Leader, but aren't they all failures, got quite a plum job as something or other in Yugoslavia - or what used to be. Military experience, think there were probably other ex-military who were far better qualified.
Why do we seem to reward failure, or ineptitude, so readily - one of the recently disgraced bankers has re-surfaced I see. How much money does he want in his bank account?
Accrington Web
Old 21-01-2010, 18:31   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Failed Politicians?

failure is rewarded barrie cos no-one can name a sucessful one.
Old 21-01-2010, 18:48   #3
God Member

They hope to correct their past deeds by doing something that will show them in a glowing light.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 19:15   #4
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
They hope to correct their past deeds by doing something that will show them in a glowing light.
Don't really see that as the case spuggie. These people tend to amble from one mess to another, they screw up somewhere, get sent packing & alls quiet for a while then they reappear again in a different position which they are equally unable to manage.

We aren't getting new & qualified people in who can & want to make a difference. They might start out full of good intentions but are usually held back by the old guard & their ways, so they end up in a rut doing as is decreed or they're out, with no way of changing things.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 22:20   #5
Give, give, give member

Failing to win a General Election was the best thing that happened to Lord and Lady Gravy Train of the Valleys.

Revealed: How the Kinnocks have enjoyed an astonishing £10m ride on the EU gravy train | Mail Online

In politics even losers win.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 22:30   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Failing to win a General Election was the best thing that happened to Lord and Lady Gravy Train of the Valleys.

Revealed: How the Kinnocks have enjoyed an astonishing £10m ride on the EU gravy train | Mail Online

In politics even losers win.
I agree Rindi. Forgive the phrase but I'm from around here! P*ssing in the same pot and it's probably as old as prostitution and taxes.

However today's politicians are taking £_telephone_numbers legitimately and much more on the side I suspect.

From all parties I find very few actually reflect or truly understand the area they represent mostly because it is University rather than life that gives them an advantage and it is money and wealth in the first place that provide the ability to get a good education. Not always but not far off always.
g jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 22:55   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by g jones View Post

From all parties I find very few actually reflect or truly understand the area they represent mostly because it is University rather than life that gives them an advantage and it is money and wealth in the first place that provide the ability to get a good education. Not always but not far off always.
hit the nail right on the head. IMHO.
Old 21-01-2010, 22:57   #8
God Member

Maybe in a democracy, folks get the kind of politicians they deserve. Here's an idea: "Annual parliaments, thus presenting the most effectual check to bribery and intimidation .... since members when elected for a year only would not be able to defy and betray their constituents as now." Not an original idea; it came from the Chartists. I've always found it interesting that it the only one of the Chartists' six points that was never adopted.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 23:01   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Maybe in a democracy, folks get the kind of politicians they deserve. Here's an idea: "Annual parliaments, thus presenting the most effectual check to bribery and intimidation .... since members when elected for a year only would not be able to defy and betray their constituents as now." Not an original idea; it came from the Chartists. I've always found it interesting that it the only one of the Chartists' six points that was never adopted.
can see a big big problem wi that eric, would mean people having to vote anually, many are that brassed off they won't vote every 4/5 years. so anually can see even less bothering.
Old 21-01-2010, 23:31   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
can see a big big problem wi that eric, would mean people having to vote anually, many are that brassed off they won't vote every 4/5 years. so anually can see even less bothering.
Maybe ... but with more accountability and immediacy, some, maybe many of those brassed off voters would feel as if they had more control over their elected representatives, would feel more involved. You never know. I've always accepted that voters have short memories ... but most can remember a year back. I know that there would be difficulties, but, what is in place now doesn't seem to be working all that well.
Old 21-01-2010, 23:45   #11
God Member

We (the US ) do elections every 2 yrs for the whole House of Representatives (lower house , like the Commons) and the Senate every 6 yrs , 1/3 of the States every 2 yrs , only problem is once someone has been elected a couple of times they have developed deep pockets (lots of money in slush funds for electionering) makes it more or less impossible to get an incumbant out , plus the fact that districts are gerrymandered to favour individual parties .... bit like Ribble Valley,allways Tory and Blackburn allways Labour, would be great to live in a district (Hyndburn) which is a 'swing' seat , makes your vote more worthwhile/valuable
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2010, 23:52   #12
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Annual General Elections?

Please God, no.

Besides, even with four or five yearly ones, the Conservatives in Hyndburn are scrambling against the clock, to decide between themselves on an acceptable candidate.

If they had a shorter time frame they'd have to withdraw entirely from the democratic race.

Old 22-01-2010, 00:02   #13
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Maybe ... but with more accountability and immediacy, some, maybe many of those brassed off voters would feel as if they had more control over their elected representatives, would feel more involved. You never know. I've always accepted that voters have short memories ... but most can remember a year back. I know that there would be difficulties, but, what is in place now doesn't seem to be working all that well.
More people in the U.K. vote in talent show finals, than they do in elections.

Britain may have talent, but it ain't got enough time to vote.

Perhaps elections in the future will be televised contests.

Thank you Dame Amy Winehouse, that was fantastic, and don't go anywhere. Join us after the commercial break to press your red button, and decide who YOU want to send to the Palace of Westminster.

The candidates, and details of how you can vote for them, if you liked their act, are at the bottom of your screen now.

See you after the break.

Old 22-01-2010, 03:01   #14
God Member

Anyone ever read Isaac Asimov's "Franchise"?
Old 22-01-2010, 03:20   #15
God Member

It's not only in politics that failure is rewarded with a cushy job.. it has been happening in businesses for even longer... if the cleaner makes a bad job of hoovering the board room he/she is sacked.. if the director makes a mess tonkin the typist while the company loses millions he gets a golden handshake...
was told as a lad that the biggest ******* get promoted to where they can do less harm!
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..