Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-09-2007, 16:30   #16
Give, give, give member

Re: Fascism lives !

But they're going to be filled with 'art', which I believe was put out to tender, which Auschwitz and Belsen didn't do.

I do think they overpower surrounding buildings, and aren't up to much architecturally.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 23-09-2007, 19:31   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
But they're going to be filled with 'art', which I believe was put out to tender,
How can you put "Art" out to tender??? Is it to be bought by the foot now?
Old 23-09-2007, 20:04   #18
God Member

You've been away for a while A-B and come back even more miserable than before! I realise these buildings aren't exactly stylish or classy but for goodness sake, at least they are being built. Accrington is getting two new, state of the art medical centres. Wouldn't you rather a medical centre spent it's money on medical equipment rather than ornate architecture?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2007, 22:58   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
You've been away for a while A-B and come back even more miserable than before! I realise these buildings aren't exactly stylish or classy but for goodness sake, at least they are being built. Accrington is getting two new, state of the art medical centres. Wouldn't you rather a medical centre spent it's money on medical equipment rather than ornate architecture?
a simple question gayle as i think no-one objects to building them, WHY could they not have suitable architecture? or should we just touch our forlocks and be grateful. P.S. not a red brick eyesore.

Last edited by cashman; 23-09-2007 at 23:05.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2007, 23:03   #20
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob View Post
How can you put "Art" out to tender??? Is it to be bought by the foot now?
Come, come, you of all people, as someone who studied at the Courtauld Institute of Art, know that art has been sold by the foot, ever since those Renaissance factories knocked it out for the Church in Rome, or any other burgher rich enough to buy it.

Old 23-09-2007, 23:06   #21
Give, give, give member

As for the purpose for which the buildings were intended, my spies on the street tell me that many health workers, whom it was hoped would relocate there, aren't going after all.

Old 23-09-2007, 23:14   #22
God Member

Quote:
Come, come, you of all people, as someone who studied at the Courtauld Institute of Art, know that art has been sold by the foot, ever since those Renaissance factories knocked it out for the Church in Rome, or any other burgher rich enough to buy it.
Dont knock it we owe a lot to the Renaissance somewhat. So what if it was a tad crappy in some cases it did keep people occupied.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2007, 23:18   #23
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J View Post
Dont knock it we owe a lot to the Renaissance somewhat. So what if it was a tad crappy in some cases it did keep people occupied.
I'm not knocking it. It was art that was sold though, to a select band of rich patrons who could afford it, and in some cases it was put out to tender, just like the new health centres are doing.

Old 23-09-2007, 23:21   #24
God Member

Quote:
I'm not knocking it. It was art that was sold though, to a select band of rich patrons who could afford it, and in some cases it was put out to tender, just like the new health centres are doing.
Better off with street artists it will be cheaper and look a damned site better.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 23-09-2007, 23:22   #25
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Better off with street artists it will be cheaper and look a damned site better.

...or performance artists instead of receptionists.

Old 23-09-2007, 23:26   #26
God Member

Quote:
...or performance artists instead of receptionists.
Depends on what kind of performance artists. And if we cant have them how about ones that are actualy human and have a personality not what we have at the mo. Mind you I think they are trained at the Little Hitler finishing school to be as bad as some of them are.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Old 23-09-2007, 23:41   #27
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Depends on what kind of performance artists. And if we cant have them how about ones that are actualy human and have a personality not what we have at the mo. Mind you I think they are trained at the Little Hitler finishing school to be as bad as some of them are.
most at peel house i find very helpful, but ONE graduated at the Eva Braun finishing school as i found out the other week.
Old 23-09-2007, 23:44   #28
God Member

Why should we "just be grateful" they are even being built at all? Why can't we expect the best? Ideas cost nothing. Imagination costs nothing. Why do we always have to put up with second and third and fourth rate, just because the idiots who are designing them are too far up their own backsides to care about the people the buildings are intended for or the site for which they are intended.

These are crappy, derivative buildings, they do not fit in with the areas in which they are sited and they look more like prisons than health centres - good grief they even have the anti-scaling devices that are a common feature of prison walls. The idea that any building is better than no building is a sadly flawed argument, as well you know Gayle. I credit you with enough taste and discretion to be able to recognise bad architecture when you see it. Please don't make me reconsider my opinion.

And as for buying "art" by tender, I have always been of the opinion that if you buy cheap you must buy twice.

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 23-09-2007 at 23:50.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2007, 23:49   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
most at peel house i find very helpful, but ONE graduated at the Eva Braun finishing school as i found out the other week.
Thought the whole idea of these centres was to cut down on waiting times for referal to a consultant. From reading the posts on here it now sounds like we have two white elephants which very few if any GP's are moving to. Can somebody please reassure me that money has not been wasted once again? Surely there was some discussion before building work began!!
Old 24-09-2007, 08:56   #30
Resident Waffler

I really don't see the point of them. All it means is that doctors will all be in a central location instead of being in lots of different locations amongst the people they (hopefully) treat and consequently harder for some people to reach. The one on Paradise St will actually be closer for me but I still don't like the look of the building itself.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..