Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-10-2012, 20:53   #16
I am Banned

Re: Fears/phobias

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum View Post
hospitals/ medical intervention, cant cope with having to go into hospital at all, even the thought of it makes me panic
What are you like with dentist,same?
Chris SUI JURIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-10-2012, 20:55   #17
Senior Member+

im not that bothered about the dentist, its just hospitals

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 20:57   #18
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris SUI JURIS View Post

Plus I didn't see a thread about phobias so I thought i'd make one.
Task for you : learn how to use Search
Old 25-10-2012, 21:02   #19
I am Banned

Quote:
im not that bothered about the dentist, its just hospitals
I know someone with the same fear she says it's that bad she can be physically sick
Old 25-10-2012, 21:04   #20
Senior Member+

My friends ex-girlfriend had arachnophobia. If she seen a spider she would hide her head inside the storage place under the stairs
Old 25-10-2012, 21:09   #21
Senior Member+

Quote:
I know someone with the same fear she says it's that bad she can be physically sick

its a full on panic for me, ive had my last 3 babies at home (planned) because i couldnt go into hospital

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
Old 25-10-2012, 21:10   #22
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
she would hide her head inside the storage place under the stairs
Where a further half dozen would be happily sitting !
Old 25-10-2012, 21:12   #23
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Where a further half dozen would be happily sitting !
That's what I thought.
Old 25-10-2012, 21:16   #24
I am Banned

Quote:
its a full on panic for me, ive had my last 3 babies at home (planned) because i couldnt go into hospital
I'm not being facetious but what happens if your i'll and hospital is the only option? is it that bad it could effect your health? (serious i'm interested)
Old 25-10-2012, 21:20   #25
Senior Member+

if i really really really had to then i would go but i would try everything else first. im having physio for a back problem i have (cauda equina if your interested) i went in and had the mri to see what it was, i was taken in at night, i didnt sleep there and the discharged myself and went home, i could have an operation but the neurosurgeon agreed to trying the physio first since it would be impossible for me to be laid up for weeks anyway, seems to be working

Old 25-10-2012, 21:29   #26
I am Banned

While some of us may think some phobias are funny to the phobic they are a very serious issue
Old 25-10-2012, 21:50   #27
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Nycotophobia?
I'm afraid you leave me in the dark with that one, Eric.
Mmm ... damn typo ... but you got it anyway
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2012, 22:05   #28
I am Banned

Quote:
if i really really really had to then i would go but i would try everything else first. im having physio for a back problem i have (cauda equina if your interested) i went in and had the mri to see what it was, i was taken in at night, i didnt sleep there and the discharged myself and went home, i could have an operation but the neurosurgeon agreed to trying the physio first since it would be impossible for me to be laid up for weeks anyway, seems to be working
cauda equina seems to be a tricky one with regards to treatment i assume your not of a age to be hanging upside down...I wish you the best of health tho an I'm glad the physio treatments working for you
Old 25-10-2012, 22:09   #29
Senior Member+

Quote:
cauda equina seems to be a tricky one with regards to treatment i assume your not of a age to be hanging upside down...I wish you the best of health tho an I'm glad the physio treatments working for you
thanks i have a tens machine for the pain and atm i walk with a stick but thats good, a few weeks ago i couldnt walk at all, got 4 weeks to make good progress and i wont need the op and im very very stubborn and determined so i'll do it

Old 25-10-2012, 22:46   #30
God Member

Quote:
In primitive conditions when coming into contact with something dangerous, the mind/body would create the optimum state for survival – a panic attack.
This type of learning is not of the intellectual or rational type. If we had to think, “Yes,this would be a good time to have a panic attack" our species would probably have died along time ago.
This type of learning takes place at an emotional level so that the response can bypass the ‘rational thinking brain’ In the past, an immediate phobic response to a predatory or poisonous animal would have been pretty useful.
Si we evolved with the ability to become phobic. In today’s world this learning mechanism often works in an inappropriate way.
I don't be thinking so. It's really much more simple, and can be summed up as: Random mutation, selective retention. I don't believe "learning" is involved. Although I can vaguely agree with your final statement. For example, a liking for fats and sugars is a survival advantage which has outlived its day.

Maybe some consideration should be given to archetypes and the collective unconscious ... but, I'll leave that up to someone who has more interest in psychology, particularly Jungian, than I do.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..