Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-04-2006, 13:25   #16
God Member

Re: Folic Acid

I dont think that all flour should have folic acid added to it, it is already in some cereals and I dont have a problem with that, we still have a choice as to whether to buy those or not. I feel its all about CHOICE and it shouldn't be taken away from us.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-04-2006, 13:35   #17
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettie
That is absolutely true Willow. Folic acid supplementation can mask vitamin B12 deficiency (pernicious anaemia). This condition is found mainly in elderly people and can cause neurological and cardiovascular symptoms. Folic acid therapies should never be given without first checking for B12 deficiencies......... Are the government going to mass check everyone????
I don't think so.

Funnily enough, the National Childbirth Trust are all for this supplementation, arguing that many pregnancies are unplanned............. Whose fault is that????? Certainly not the general public's who this drug will be forced upon. I am very surprised that the NCT are in favour of this. I thought that they had more sense.
Absolutely agree with you lettie spot on. You can get free suppliments as soon as you are pregnant so theres no real reason that this is neccessary another big boob implimentation from the Gov & their health officials.
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 13:51   #18
Senior Member+

Looks like im on my own on this one, i dont mind if they add folic acid to my flour/bread as i was just looking on other sites and it says that there are between 700-800 pregnancies with the defect each year! that to me is an astounding amount and where it wont eradicate the problem altogether it has been done in other countries and they have seen a decrease by 30-50%!

If this can be done to help prevent pregnancies with Spina Bifida then so be it! At the end of the day most of the food you eat daily contain allsorts of stuff that you wouldnt agree to eating, do we really know all the contents of all our food? and weather it is good for you or bad for you like said before it is already added to the cereal we eat, it is also found in Broccoli, bananas, oranges, peas,nuts....

Folic Acid is part of a vitamin group called B Vitamins, it is not just needed by pregnant women we all need Folic Acid for the production and maintainence of new cells, you need folate to make normal red cells and prevent anemia.
Old 06-04-2006, 13:55   #19
I am Banned

Is there not a limit to how much of the vitamin you need??? some vitamins are quite harmful if overdosed, i seem to recall they overhauled some of the multivitamins because some was above level plus also to warn against over dosing.

Although with folic acid which is supposed to help absorb iron any excess is lost from the body in form of black poopies
Old 06-04-2006, 14:00   #20
Senior Member+

Yes 1000 micrograms a day so that the intake does not mask the symptoms of vitamin B12 deficiency. It also says that this masking process is very scarce. Like i said i am looking at other sites i would post the site but i dont know how.
Old 06-04-2006, 14:01   #21
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel
Is there not a limit to how much of the vitamin you need??? some vitamins are quite harmful if overdosed, i seem to recall they overhauled some of the multivitamins because some was above level plus also to warn against over dosing.

Although with folic acid which is supposed to help absorb iron any excess is lost from the body in form of black poopies
I know what you mean i had to take iron tablets with both my pregnancies! Nice!!
Old 06-04-2006, 14:02   #22
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUMMIBOO
. Like i said i am looking at other sites i would post the site but i dont know how.
Copy link in address bar & paste it into message is how to do the links.
Old 06-04-2006, 14:04   #23
Senior Member+

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folic_acid

has it worked?
Old 06-04-2006, 14:06   #24
I am Banned

Quote:
I know what you mean i had to take iron tablets with both my pregnancies! Nice!!
Yep had it with both of mine lol - even after a pint of guinness tehehe
Old 06-04-2006, 14:07   #25
I am Banned

Quote:
Yeah working fine there you are
Old 06-04-2006, 14:24   #26
Beacon of light

It still amounts to compulsory mass medication...which to my mind is an invasion of my right to choose. How long will it be before they put something into a staple food stuff that you don't agree with? There are plenty of opportunites for pregnant women to get the folates that they need...and as for the rest of us, well we should be able to choose whether we purchased vitamin enriched bread....there should be a choice for consumers....Bread with Folic Acid and bread without.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 15:27   #27
Senior Member+

It wont be added to all bread it wont be added to wholemeal bread, i just cant see what all the fuss is about like i said its already there in our everyday food it is not just needed by pregnant women we all need it!

The white bread we eat has had its flour bleached by potassium bromate or chlorine dioxide gas hummm sounds yummy doesnt it but thats ok white bread is less nutritious and has less vitamins than brown or wholemeal but thats ok too, they could have put the folic acid in there without telling anyone and you would only notice if you read the nutritional facts which is very rarely done!

There are hundreds of vitamins in hundreds of foods, Folic Acid never killed anyone it only helps you need it in everyday functioning.

I just say if it helps people to have more healthy babies and it is doing no harm to me then i cant see a problem at all in fact the more ways they can help to have healthy babies the better i say!
Old 06-04-2006, 17:47   #28
Beacon of light

I am not planning to have any babies and as I said in a previous post this is no reason for mass medication...there are people who are sensitive to folates and can have a reaction. They are not adding folic acid to wholemeal bread because it naturally contains folic acid. And they are adding it to ALL flour which means that anything with flour in it will have the added folate.
Pregnant women have a responsibility to their baby so they should make sure that they take the supplements that are offered. I do not want them in my bread thankyou.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 17:59   #29
Apprentice Geriatric

Angry Re: Folic Acid

I think that you are missing the point MUMMIBOO. We all know that different foods contain various vitamins and minerals naturally and we all need them.

What is happening here is the proposal to add certain extra ingredients to foods that do not contain that extra naturally in order to help a very small minority of the population. That is just unacceptable and should never be allowed to happen under any circumstances.

There is absolutely nothing that you can say to justify such outrageous intentions.

Far more people suffer from ‘sticky’ blood so would you like a small dose of Warfarin in your food to try and ensure that you don’t suffer from blood clots?
Old 06-04-2006, 18:05   #30
Resting in Peace

I found that the Doctor automatically gave me a prescription for Folic Acid anyway when pregnant, so what's the problem. ?? Maybe they do not do that now ?? .. 23 years ago since last time you understand.

Do ya' think it is cheaper to order food manufacturers to do this than hand out these prescriptions ?

Last edited by katex; 06-04-2006 at 18:07. Reason: afterthought
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..