Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Which is better?
Wise dictatorship 4 57.14%
Ignorant democracy 3 42.86%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2008, 16:02   #1
God Member

Food for thought

Which is better; a wise dictatorship or an ignorant democracy? Why?

We had this question given to us in philosophy today for debate.
Thought I'd pose it to you lot as a few similar threads are knocking around, so thought it may interest a few.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-03-2008, 16:06   #2
God Member

Re: Food for thought

neither, who wants dictatorship? who wants ignorant democracy?

would rather have someone truthful who i trusted
Old 12-03-2008, 16:52   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
neither, who wants dictatorship? who wants ignorant democracy?

would rather have someone truthful who i trusted
Spot on flashy I'm with you on that one
Old 12-03-2008, 17:09   #4
God Member

The point of this is to provoke debate between two (at face value) bad situations. There is no 'neither' option!
Old 12-03-2008, 17:53   #5
God Member

I suggest that they both will have the same outcome -- anarchy

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 17:53   #6
Apprentice Geriatric

Exclamation Re: Food for thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
Which is better; a wise dictatorship or an ignorant democracy? Why?

We had this question given to us in philosophy today for debate.
Thought I'd pose it to you lot as a few similar threads are knocking around, so thought it may interest a few.
An “Ignorant Democracy” is the lesser of two evils but at least with the ballot box you can get rid of it and replace it with another “Ignorant Democracy”.

The only way to get rid of a dictator is by the gun/poison/arrow/exploding cigars/coup-de-tat.
Old 12-03-2008, 18:04   #7
God Member

What I mean by a wise dictatorship is one where the said system works very well for that society. Economically, morally, etc.
Essentially this is a question of a) morality and b) whether people would be prepared to let go of their preconceptions of dictatorships in favour of democracy, even if the said dictatorship works best for that society. And of course if true democracy is not possible.
Old 12-03-2008, 19:46   #8
God Member

I voted for the wise dictator. Too many people associate dictators with evil people like Hitler, but not every dictator intends on genocide and massacre!

Assuming wise means he/she has strong ability to run a country whilst keeping the people happy, I don't see what is the problem, the only bad thing is that we all know decisions are better made between people rather than by one sole individual, but if the ignorant democracy involves people that can't please the people, or upset certain groups, then decisions made between them are pointless anyway.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 20:43   #9
God Member

my thoughts are that when an electorate gives one party a super majority ,examples.. Thatcher a 144 seat majority in 1983 , or Blair a 179 seat majority in 1997 then in fact you are creating a Dictatorship .......with no chance or requirement to listen to any informed opposition, just a bunch of political goons carrying following the leaders orders
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 15:46   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
my thoughts are that when an electorate gives one party a super majority ,examples.. Thatcher a 144 seat majority in 1983 , or Blair a 179 seat majority in 1997 then in fact you are creating a Dictatorship .......with no chance or requirement to listen to any informed opposition, just a bunch of political goons carrying following the leaders orders
I think there are many people who would make good dictators. Pinochet was a 'good' dictator in my opinion!
Old 14-03-2008, 16:04   #11
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Food for thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
I think there are many people who would make good dictators. Pinochet was a 'good' dictator in my opinion!
If you ignore the thousands of Argentineans who just went missing, never to be heard of again, then he probably was and if you were one of his chosen few cohorts.

I don’t know who coined this phrase but it is a relevant today as it has been for millennia.

“Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.”

Even God couldn’t resist becoming a “do as I say not as I do” dictator.
Old 14-03-2008, 16:10   #12
God Member

Quote:
I'm sure the Allende family agree .................
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2008, 16:15   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
thats why many take no notice of ya.
Old 14-03-2008, 16:19   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
thats why many take no notice of ya.
I'm sure a lot of other people would agree with me!
Old 14-03-2008, 16:21   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
I'm sure a lot of other people would agree with me!
yeh people like "Mark Thatcher" probably

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..