Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2011, 14:13   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Fracking Blackpool

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Fracking causes earthquakes in unexpected places

Quakes normally take place in the south of the country but also happen in Groningen province as the land settles following natural gas extraction"
Who says so?
What are you trying to tell us,we're all floating on a cloud of gas and if we extract it we'll all disappear down a large hole?
The gas is extracted from a porous but solid medium,taking millions of coal out and leaving the mine tunnels open hasn't caused Accrington to disappear yet!
Although some would say- no we won't go into that.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-09-2011, 15:15   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Who says so?
What are you trying to tell us,we're all floating on a cloud of gas and if we extract it we'll all disappear down a large hole?
The gas is extracted from a porous but solid medium,taking millions of coal out and leaving the mine tunnels open hasn't caused Accrington to disappear yet!
Although some would say- no we won't go into that.
If you don't see the connection, you haven't read the links supplied in this thread.
Here are a few more - so don't comment negatively until you have read about the subject.

Earthquake Outbreak: Arkansas Bans Fracking Operations Inside Thousand-Square-Mile Area | Stuart H. Smith
Scientists study link between fracking and earthquakes | Real Aspen | Roaring Fork Valley News, Guides, and Information
Fracking & earthquakes: an inescapable connection | The Greanville Post

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 15:33   #33
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Fracking causes earthquakes in unexpected places
Roermond.
Can't see where in the report it mentions fracking, there are conventional ways of natural gas extraction too.
Old 10-09-2011, 15:44   #34
God Member

Unless you are aware that Holland has an oilfield, the gas extracted is from shale, which requires fracking

Old 10-09-2011, 15:48   #35
Senior Member+

Quote:
I have read the links and about the subject!
Perhaps I should have said ' Who says so who has a credible opinion worth reading'.
The Greanville Post(What the System doesn't want you to know).A conspiracy site 'focusing on the infotainment world'! I think not.
The Stuart Smith Blog? A lawyer, not a scientist.I think not.
Aspen-first paragraph says,in brief,'large earthquakes in Virginia and Colarado AREN'T typically associated with hydraulic fracturing.
So a 4.5 in the Netherlands probably has nothing to do with fracking, according to one of your sources.
So the ground settles a bit, it often did after mining,no real problem.
Old 10-09-2011, 15:57   #36
God Member

So you want the opinion of a geologist? - find it here
OpEdNews - Podcast: Geologist Scott Ausbrooks on Fracking/Earthquake connection
"Scott M. Ausbrooks, RPG Registered Professional Geologist
Geohazards Supervisor, Arkansas Geological Survey
Scott led a team that discovered a connection between Fracking disposal wells and earthquakes. "

PS not all geologists agree - some are employed by the gas industry

Old 10-09-2011, 16:28   #37
Senior Member+

Quote:
So you want the opinion of a geologist? - find it here
OpEdNews - Podcast: Geologist Scott Ausbrooks on Fracking/Earthquake connection
Scott led a team that discovered a connection between Fracking disposal wells and earthquakes. "

PS not all geologists agree - some are employed by the gas industry
Quotes from his interviews-
'The earthquake connection is through disposal wells. Fracking can be done without disposal wells.'
'earthquakes in Arcansas near a quarry'.
'Filling a reservoir can set it off'.
A picture of some mud with cracks in it-earthquake damage? For heavens sake, it's got FOOTMARKS in it-perhaps a VERY heavy person caused it.
Hardly the end of the world.

Your inference that any geologists who don't agree with your theory are employed by the gas industry diminishes your argument.
Old 10-09-2011, 20:00   #38
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

From the same news source I believe.

Earthquake in the Netherlands

The most telling comment :- The earthquake took place at a depth of 7 km, which according to seismologists at KNMI is not deep. It is still unclear what caused the earthquake, but it seems to be a natural cause.

Until confirmation, the accusation of fracking being responsible would appear invalid & yes I was aware of the Dutch oil fields. Living just 50 minutes from the Dutch Border I tend to spend a fair bit of time in Holland.
Old 10-09-2011, 22:36   #39

In Iceland yesterday they created about 100 earthquakes ( less than Magnitude 2) in 4 hours at the hydrothermal plant without problems.
Iceland Volcano and Earthquake blog | Blog about Icelandic volcanoes and earthquakes
Old 11-09-2011, 00:06   #40
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider61 View Post
In Iceland yesterday they created about 100 earthquakes ( less than Magnitude 2) in 4 hours at the hydrothermal plant without problems.
Iceland Volcano and Earthquake blog | Blog about Icelandic volcanoes and earthquakes
That's what they want you to think.

There'll be riots afore Michaelmas.

Mark my words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Israeli bankers have been sending planes, dropping bombs containing fetal blood into Icelandic air space. Targeting the countries volcanoes.

The chemical reaction this brought about, causing the volcanoes to explode, and send microscopic ash high into the atmosphere, and fall, because of known weather conditions, on western Europe.

It's a well known fact that the lungs of pre-adult Afro-Caribbeans cannot function sufficently when aggravated by pumice ash particles. This causes a chemical reaction in the brain, and as the lungs try to cope, this leads to severe anti-social psycosis.

In certain summer weather conditions, this reaction will appear in many such young people, and massive civil unrest could ensue.

The finaciers will profit fron the chaos caused, by charging western governments exorbitant interest rates, as they try to rectify the situation, by pumping money they don't have, into measures to rectify the problem, such as increased police and civil guard forces.
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...icy-58843.html

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 09:03   #41
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

latest comments to the subject as in the papers today :-

Will Blackpool become the new gas frontier? - Telegraph

Also an interesting quote from the comments section :-

Lastly, there is no “k” in hydraulic fracturing – people who use 'frack' {as against 'frac'** are recent discoverers of this 60 year old process, know little about it {apart from the polemic Gasland** & are knee-jerk opposers of it **& probably of any fossil fuel use**.

Old 03-10-2011, 15:58   #42
Senior Member+

The July edition of 'Lancashire magazine' carried a story about the search for gas being undertaken a few fields away from where I live, in Singleton, near Pouilton le Fylde .....
'One of the company's founders is geologist Peter Tuirner, who was born in Oswaldtwistle. He had a glittering career as an academic before the foundation of Cuadrilla (the company) in 2007'
Do we know owt about 'im? His mother was a weaver and he worked briefly in the same mill. His photo is in the magazine.
'Cuadrilla' is a Spanish word referring to the supporters of a matador in the bull ring.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 16:02   #43
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
The July edition of 'Lancashire magazine' carried a story about the search for gas being undertaken a few fields away from where I live, in Singleton, near Pouilton le Fylde .....
'One of the company's founders is geologist Peter Tuirner, who was born in Oswaldtwistle. He had a glittering career as an academic before the foundation of Cuadrilla (the company) in 2007'
Do we know owt about 'im? His mother was a weaver and he worked briefly in the same mill. His photo is in the magazine.
'Cuadrilla' is a Spanish word referring to the supporters of a matador in the bull ring.
You mistyped his name but since I'm psychic - see 'vice president Turner'
Cuadrilla

Old 03-10-2011, 16:06   #44
God Member

PS I think that the pollution possibilities need evaluating. The potential pollution of groundwater could affect horticulture industry there.

Old 03-10-2011, 16:14   #45
God Member

Bob - for info about Singleton drilling -
Shale Gas

scroll down to
Experiences in the Fylde

Last edited by MargaretR; 03-10-2011 at 16:16.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..