Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-05-2008, 11:22   #46
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: gas/leccy survey

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Jaysay has very similar, if not identical, accommodation.
He has experience of 2 heating systems, whereas I have had 3, and he has noted large savings.
I don't class his £180 a year as a large saving. I bet it cost Hyndburn Homes between £2000 and £3000 to remove the old hot air system and install a new condensing boiler and 4 or 5 radiators into his flat. That gives a payback on gas alone of at least 10 years ( even taking into account gas price increases of 50% over the 10 years). I suspect his nice new condensing boiler could well be at the end of its life in 10 years and need replacing with a new one.

It is a good saving for him not having to pay for the installation yes. Do you thing it would be worth it if it was your £2000 or £3000 for the installation?

I would be looking for an energy payback of 3 to 5 years if I was going to spend £3000 on a new system. I looked into it when I thought about replacing my ancient back boiler and decided it was a bad idea to install a condensing boiler at the time as I would not see a payback for many years, if ever.
Old 13-05-2008, 11:57   #47
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
pay £18 a month on water
so not bad i suppose

your lucky, my water bill is £29 a month, for a 2 bedroomed semi
Old 13-05-2008, 12:36   #48

About 1300 per year.
But it is 3/4 bed house with heating on constantly, during the winter, as we work from home.

We are with e-one or however you spell it
polly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 12:45   #49
God Member

Just for your convenience, an old (10 years plus) boiler will be around 60% efficient if you have tanks, a combi will be up to 77% efficient, a condensing boiler will be 90%+ efficient, if it is a combi, that is fine, if you have tanks then a regular condensing boiler will still be 90%+ efficient, but the system efficiency will depend on the tanks/cylinder, a standard copper cylinder will be nowhere near as efficient as a stainless steel quick recovery cylinder, these are usually well insulated and are more efficient with the timer on constant, a fully energy efficient system can save 35% of you energy bills. If you go to the trouble of installing solar panels, (which is becoming increasingly good option with another 30% hike on the way), the installation cost for solar alone can be around £3000, but grants are available, and the potential savings are growing by the month at the moment, it is now, for (in my opinion) a viable option to install solar, or ground/air source heat systems.
Old 13-05-2008, 12:47   #50
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
wouldnt it be best to speak to derekgas? im sure he will know....
yaaaay me!

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 17:04   #51
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
your lucky, my water bill is £29 a month, for a 2 bedroomed semi
Thats another bone of contention with me flashy, its a rip off, I pay exactly the same water rates as two people living in the same type of property, mine is a one bed flat, no bath just a shower every day, I use the washer twice per week. This was discussed on another thread a few months ago, changing to a water meter, I'm seriousl giving it some thought
Old 13-05-2008, 17:38   #52
God Member

NOOOOOOOOOO DONT get a water meter, my ex had one of those and it was horrible, he ended up paying more for his water than he would have if he'd have paid monthly
Old 13-05-2008, 18:27   #53
God Member

water meters are cheaper for one person than for a family, if you make a little effort to ease your consumption, fill a washing up bottle with water and put it in the loo cistern, save about a pint every flush, only flush when you need to and use a freshener, when you run the bath, use the water for other things like the garden or washing the car etc.
Old 13-05-2008, 19:08   #54
God Member

i have a special thing in my cistern that swells when water is added, got it free off the net somewhere, it basically acts like a brick
Old 13-05-2008, 19:12   #55
God Member

Quote:
i have a special thing in my cistern that swells when water is added, got it free off the net somewhere, it basically acts like a brick
Must be like my belly, that swells when beer is added

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 19:16   #56
God Member

lol Ken ya daft sod
Old 14-05-2008, 10:07   #57
Resting in Peace

Quote:
i notice that a lot of you have the thermostat set over 21 degrees....WHY? i used to have mine set at 20 and i find it saves a lot of money if i have it down at 19 degrees and i cant tell the difference in the heat whatsoever, i think you all must have money to burn if your having it up THAT high when it doesnt need to be, its just not necessary
I'm a bit older than you flashy and as well as having COPD, like Margret I have Osteoporosis, in my the spine which is good company especially when its called
Old 14-05-2008, 11:52   #58
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

We have a 2 bed terrace and pay £40 electric per month and £2 gas!!!! My gas bill has been reduced from £8 per month as I was vastly in credit. We have no central heating but are fully double glazed and insulated. The hot water runs from electric and the cooker is electric. Our only gas is for the fires and they are only on when it is freezing. The house is usually pretty warm, mid terrace with neighbours on both sides flogging their central heating which heats our house too

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2008, 17:34   #59
God Member

For heat I use natural gas supplied by Kingston Public Utilities Commission and my electricity comes from Ontario Hydro ... I pay for what I use on a monthly basis ... winter is expensive, summer is cheap ... it averages out at about $200 a month .... I have a fairly big, older house (which is for sale by the way if anyone is interested ... I want something smaller).
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2008, 18:29   #60
God Member

Quote:
Apparently its called a HIPPO.......but don`t ask me why, i have them but no idea why that name.......... we`ve always been on a water meter and don`t find them to bad, the rule of thumb is if you have more bedrooms than people in you`re house you will benefit, i.e 3 people in a 4 bed house. Basically you pay for what you use, if you use a lot you pay a lot.......

Last edited by pipinfort; 14-05-2008 at 18:32.
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..