Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2007, 00:48   #256
God Member

Re: gay adoption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianto.W. View Post
This was taken out of the same article as garinda posted earlier, regarding the repayment of £20,000 aprox needed to 'process' the applicants.
The answer is in the above statements, either abide by the law or get out of the 'ballpark'.
Now theres a thought , Politicians as the moral guardians of the nation

steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-02-2007, 01:12   #257
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Now theres a thought , Politicians as the moral guardians of the nation

Mmmmmm

Wonder which I'd pick?

A democratically elected government, who can be voted out every four of five years, or an unelected head of State, and the church she is head of, as my moral guide?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:27   #258
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Mmmmmm

Wonder which I'd pick?

A democratically elected government, who can be voted out every four of five years, or an unelected head of State, and the church she is head of, as my moral guide?

well.........its straying from the original theme of the thread .......but I think I would prefer to follow someone with no vested interests, I think most of the Popes in the past were fairly uncorruptable, one or two were a bit over the top ( the Borgias )and one or two of our Kings/Queens were a bit iffy but on the whole they haven't done a bad job, the present one , mothering skills aside hasn't done a bad job ( poor genes from the foriegn side of the family)
Old 02-02-2007, 01:45   #259
Resting in peace

Quote:
well.........its straying from the original theme of the thread .......but I think I would prefer to follow someone with no vested interests, I think most of the Popes in the past were fairly uncorruptable, one or two were a bit over the top ( the Borgias )and one or two of our Kings/Queens were a bit iffy but on the whole they haven't done a bad job, the present one , mothering skills aside hasn't done a bad job ( poor genes from the foriegn side of the family)
Fidel Castro has outlived quite a few popes in his time steeljack how about settling for him as a compromise.
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:49   #260
God Member

Quote:
Fidel Castro has outlived quite a few popes in his time steeljack how about settling for him as a compromise.
I've allways had a soft spot for Uncle Fidel but dont tell Bullseyebarb , I actually gave her karma today , seems we have more in common than I thought and she doesn't threaten me with violence

i've also had a soft spot for uncle Joe
Old 02-02-2007, 01:54   #261
Resting in peace

Quote:
I've allways had a soft spot for Uncle Fidel but dont tell Bullseyebarb , I actually gave her karma today , seems we have more in common than I thought and she doesn't threaten me with violence

i've also had a soft spot for uncle Joe
I noticed you gave our 'barb' some karma you sure are "having a nice day".
Ianto.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 02:00   #262
God Member

Quote:
I noticed you gave our 'barb' some karma you sure are "having a nice day".
Well apart from the store being out of Bushmills and having to switch to Jamesons (fienian stuff) ..... which caused me to have a snippy fit and berate the burqa clad owners wife ( most liquor stores in California are muslim owned , strange contradiction i know )

Last edited by steeljack; 02-02-2007 at 02:09.
Old 02-02-2007, 07:52   #263
Resident Waffler

Quote:
This was taken out of the same article as garinda posted earlier, regarding the repayment of £20,000 aprox needed to 'process' the applicants.
The answer is in the above statements, either abide by the law or get out of the 'ballpark'.
Also from the same article:

Quote:
The Catholic Church's agencies are said to handle 4%, or about 200, of all adoptions a year. However they handle about a third of those children judged difficult to place.

Now why on earth should there be such an imbalance? Could it be that the secular agencies are not so keen to take on the difficult to place children with all the follow up necessary to support those families? I hope they will do so from now on and that those children don't end up spending their childhood entirely 'in care'.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 08:01   #264
Resident Waffler

Quote:
Human beings, being human are all fallible but even though I'm not a Catholic I think I'd prefer to look towards a Pope for moral guidance than a President or Prime Minister. I don't accept that any Pope is infallible (which I think is Catholic doctrine) but I do believe they try to be.

Equally I would never try to force anyone else to agree or condemn anyone who chose not to, that would be taking away personal freedom which I believe is everyone's right. 'We all have the right to be wrong now and then' as the old Roger Miller song goes. I know I'm far from perfect but I keep trying. Some would say I'm very trying.

My view is that so long as other people aren't harming me and mine and we're not harming them we should all live and let live.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:27   #265
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Human beings, being human are all fallible but even though I'm not a Catholic I think I'd prefer to look towards a Pope for moral guidance than a President or Prime Minister. I don't accept that any Pope is infallible (which I think is Catholic doctrine) but I do believe they try to be.

Equally I would never try to force anyone else to agree or condemn anyone who chose not to, that would be taking away personal freedom which I believe is everyone's right. 'We all have the right to be wrong now and then' as the old Roger Miller song goes. I know I'm far from perfect but I keep trying. Some would say I'm very trying.

My view is that so long as other people aren't harming me and mine and we're not harming them we should all live and let live.
Without appearing to be too anti-Catholic here, a Pope who carries on encouraging poor people in third world countries to have large families, thus keeping them in a poverty trap, and a Pope (John Paul II) who when under pressure, finally issued a Papal edict that condoms could be used to help prevent the spread of HIV, as long as they had a pin prick in the end?

Moral guidance my aunt Fanny.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:28   #266
Resident Waffler

As I said, I don't believe that even Popes are infallible.

Old 02-02-2007, 08:31   #267
Give, give, give member

...and don't forget that before he became the current Pope this is the man whose job it was to cover up the scandal of the priests who abused thousands of children, by moving them to other parishes, and thus allowing others to be abused, and who did everything in his power to keep it in the Church, and prevent the law of the different lands this abuse took place in, from becoming involved.

Old 02-02-2007, 18:37   #268
Resident Waffler

That's something I certainly disapprove of.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..