Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-03-2005, 08:04   #1
God Member

General Election Candidates

Considering that the announcement of the General Election is only a couple of weeks away I thought that it might be a good idea to have a look at what our prospective parliamentary candidates have to say for themselves. Here, in Alaphabetical order, are the contact details for the parties and candidates I can find on the Net. I couldn’t find a specifically Hyndburn based site for the BNP and so I have left them off the list. In the interests of fairness, if anyone knows of one, let me know and I will add it to the list.

When I tried to access the Greg Pope site it was unavailable, perhaps you may have better luck than me.

Conservative Party

http://www.conservatives.com/tile.do?def=people.person.page&personID=119422

Green Party

http://www.hyndburngreenparty.org.uk/

Labour Party

http://www.gregpope.co.uk/

Liberal Democrat Party

http://www.libdems.org.uk/party/people/person.html?id=613&navPage=inyourarea.html

Now that we, as a community forum, appear to be attracting a bit more notice, what do members think of the idea of inviting the prospective parliamentary candidates onto the forum for a bit of a pre-election chinwag?
Old 27-03-2005, 09:02   #2
Resident Waffler

Re: General Election Candidates

That would be a brilliant idea if they would come.

Maybe Greg Pope is updating his site in view of the upcoming election.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2005, 10:51   #3

I wouldn't trust any of them to organise the proverbial **** up in a brewery. Two (Lib-Dem and Labour) can't even put up working web sites, the Green Party is laughable and the Conservative candidate obviously has a fetish for prisons.
Old 27-03-2005, 12:27   #4
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp

Maybe Greg Pope is updating his site in view of the upcoming election.

or still trying to understand the train time table.

A-B that is an excellent idea, as WtW stated, if we could get them on here.

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2005, 12:35   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob

Now that we, as a community forum, appear to be attracting a bit more notice, what do members think of the idea of inviting the prospective parliamentary candidates onto the forum for a bit of a pre-election chinwag?
I think it's an excellent idea. On the chat room or no chat room thread I suggested a similar thing. It would really get them in touch with the public. Think there would have to be some guidelines drawn up and it would be easier to get them on individually. I also think that a moderator should be in the chat room at the same time to ensure fairness.
PurpleLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2005, 12:38   #6

Quote:
Considering that the announcement of the General Election is only a couple of weeks away I thought that it might be a good idea to have a look at what our prospective parliamentary candidates have to say for themselves.
I heard a rumour that PB was standing for County Council elections. Anyone know if this is true or not, and does anyone know who the candidates for County Council are?
Old 27-03-2005, 14:07   #7
Give, give, give member

Re: BNP.
I did check out the website that was on a recent pamphlet that was pushed through my box, of course it didn't say much about what they really believe, you have to read through the lines.
l binned it, in my paper recycling bag of course. Does anyone else still have the address so that it so that it can be added to the list?

Last edited by garinda; 28-03-2005 at 00:22.
garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2005, 14:58   #8
Senior Member+

According to charlie in a different post we are all tories and bullies so maybe they would be scared to come and voice their opinions.
Could you actually see them answering a question, they would just put on the manifest and do the I will find out, the best way would be to have an accyweb meeting in a pub and invite 1 at a time, no candidate would turn down a free drink and then post the answers on here.

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2005, 15:58   #9

Quote:
Considering that the announcement of the General Election is only a couple of weeks away I thought that it might be a good idea to have a look at what our prospective parliamentary candidates have to say for themselves.

Does anyone know who's standing for County Council elections? I know they're not as high profile as the general elections but they are taking place at the same time.
Old 29-03-2005, 16:13   #10
I am Banned

Doubt they themselves would respond much to the likes of us usually get their laccies to do it with exception to the upcoming election funny thats only time u ever see any of them n their representatives.
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2005, 18:01   #11
Senior Member+

So far all I have had is the Conservative candidate leaflet;clean living sort with a penchant for prisons;will await the rest with bated breath!
Old 29-03-2005, 18:06   #12
I am Banned

its only a few weeks b4 we get the tour cars blaring loud speaker jobbies doing the rounds uurgghhh
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2005, 19:12   #13
I am Banned

Election Update

Gregs Site Gregs site has been taken down under parliamentary election rules as it is funded/hosted by Government/Parliament and therefore unfair on rival candidates. Greg did pay for the design. All the others are priviately funded privately hosted so they can stay up.

Note Boundary changes had to take place because Accrinton Central has a declining population with all the empty properties whereas Altham had grown.

With George Slynns defection in Great Harwood to the Liberal Democrats the County Council is Labour 42, Conservatives 25, Liberal Democrats 7, Greens 1, Idle Toad 1 Vacancies 2. [78]

So with a swing of 5 or 6 seats to the Conservatives Mr Britcliffe might be able to bancrupt County Hall as well Hyndburn District Council !!!

County Council Election Candidates [not announced yet]
* Denotes standing councillors

Accrington South [Barnfiled Bash Peel]
Wendy Dwyer [Lab]*
Paul Barton [Con]
----dont think the Green will stand. apparently his helpers have fallen out with him---

Hyndburn West formally Accrington Central [Central, Springhill and now a bit of Church and Ossy behind Ryddings Park]
Doreen Pollit [Lab]*
Mohammed Kazi [Con]

Hyndburn North -- formally Accrington North [bit less of Church!, Milnshaw, Huncoat & a bit of Altham]
Jean Battle [Lab]*
Anne Scaife [Con]

Oswaldtwistle
Dorothy Westell [Lab]*
Peter Britcliffe

Altham, Clayton & Rishton
Miles Parkinson [Lab]
Janet Storey [Con]
-----Michael Hindley [Lab]* was deselected at the branch meeting-----

Gt Harwood
Susan Shorrock [Lab]
Wyn Frankland [Con]
------George Slynn [Lab]* was deselected from standing by Party due to health reasons I think-----

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'Authority is supposedly founded on wisdom. But I worked out from an early age that authority was just another form of control, and there wasn't any inherent wisdom'

-Joe Strummer, The Clash

Last edited by Graham Jones; 29-03-2005 at 19:59.
Graham Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2005, 19:17   #14

Re: Election Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Jones

County Council Election Candidates [not announced yet]
* Denotes standing councillors

-----

Thanks for giving us a sneak preview. I've been hunting around trying to find out the info for days. When will it be announced and are there likely to be independent and Lib candidates do you think?
Old 29-03-2005, 19:29   #15
I am Banned

well i checked with the elctions office this afternoon and General Election candidates can stand for County, so we might see 3 liberals. George Slynn in Gt Harwood definatley. The Asian fellow in Hyndburn West. Possibly Bill Greene in Ossy.

The BNP have not announced any candidates though they have targeted Huncoat and Milnshaw so they may stand a candidate there but I would have though more likely none at all or Accrington South. BNP have candidates for Peel & Barnfield and Great Harwood for district and possibly Huncoat. However they are struggling to.

Their general election candidate has turned up at a couple of meetings [of the council] but without any press and a decent debate, he packed up and went.

A lot of the minor parties are weak and grandstanding so UKIP I doubt will stand for County. The Green chap has fallen out with all his supporters, probably because he has not got involved in any green issue in the Borough, obviously not good if your a supposed Green candidate. So I dont think he will stand, but you never know, he may.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'Authority is supposedly founded on wisdom. But I worked out from an early age that authority was just another form of control, and there wasn't any inherent wisdom'

-Joe Strummer, The Clash

Last edited by Graham Jones; 29-03-2005 at 20:00.
Graham Jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..