Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-11-2011, 21:28   #31
Give, give, give member

Re: Give me a child until he is seven-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Seriously??? ... ok, I'm prepared to listen to a balanced view of the holocaust; we are all sitting comfortably; or maybe we could start off with the Potato Famine, or the burning of witches ... I think when you say "balance view", you mean "sanitized version" ... so the school cops out, and the kids yawn, go home, and, like Reece, get it off the tv. Of course, if they listen to CNN, or, god forbid, Fox "News" they will get the official right wing version .... not much balance there. Maybe if schools spent more time challenging kids (including "Failure is always an option".), and less time pussyfooting around what is going on in the world they would be way more effective.
You can give background information though, as to why things most likely happened.

You certainly can with the holocaust.

It can be argued the political instability that followed the 1914-18 war, was an ideal breeding ground for extremism to spread it's cancerous growth.

Rarely is anything black, or white.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-11-2011, 21:35   #32
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
No it's not all he said.
If your son watches the news he hopefully gets balanced, unbiased reporting of the facts with both sides explained. He can then make his own mind up, or at least see there are two sides.
Whereas you only appear to accept there is one side- the teachers.
Well come what are these facts?
Old 28-11-2011, 21:44   #33
God Member

Gordon, i think you may need to re read this thread yourself love, i most certainly am not on my own
flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 21:44   #34
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
You can give background information though, as to why things most likely happened.

You certainly can with the holocaust.

It can be argued the political instability that followed the 1914-18 war, was an ideal breeding ground for extremism to spread it's cancerous growth.

Rarely is anything black, or white.
I see your point. And I do agree that most things fall into "grey" ... it's in these grey areas that kids have to think ... I believe that, short of outright indoctrination, and no way was the teacher guilty of that, kids can form their own opinion. I prefer a little bias to sanitization.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2011, 21:48   #35
Give, give, give member

I just think it was nice they were paying attention to what was said, and they'd stopped texting long enough to hear it.

Old 28-11-2011, 21:50   #36
Give, give, give member

Quote:
I see your point. And I do agree that most things fall into "grey" ... it's in these grey areas that kids have to think ... I believe that, short of outright indoctrination, and no way was the teacher guilty of that, kids can form their own opinion. I prefer a little bias to sanitization.
True.

Very often the answers lie in those long, dark shadowy areas of your's.

Old 28-11-2011, 21:58   #37
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

So who the devil has ruined your pension? | Money | The Guardian suggest yeh have a sneck at that, was flagged up in 2004, the media were flagged up about it in the 90s, by many sources but in the main kept stum.
Old 29-11-2011, 06:39   #38
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Should teachers be forced to teach, unobjectively, things they don't think to be true?
My RE teacher did not believe in God but it did not mean she could not teach others the subject.

Quote:
Have pupils the right to withdraw themselves from the education system, if they don't want to hear what's being taught?
I don't believe they should be able to no.
If pupils don't hear all sides how are they supposed to make an educated decision what they believe themselves and not just what their parents want them to believe?
Old 29-11-2011, 06:58   #39
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
So who the devil has ruined your pension? | Money | The Guardian suggest yeh have a sneck at that, was flagged up in 2004, the media were flagged up about it in the 90s, by many sources but in the main kept stum.
It does not only directly blame the government though does it? It list several reasons including people not paying into pension schemes for long enough and for living longer than projected. It also states people do not pay enough into pension pots so it backs up the governments current proposal for increased payments and work longer.
Old 29-11-2011, 07:35   #40
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
As i said before in other threads, the reason the pension deficit is large, is cos of pension funds taking pension holidays fer many years, the reason they did that is cos they said the funds were too large. FACT. a fact i am well aware of, only a blinkered moron can fail to accept that fact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
It does not only directly blame the government though does it? It list several reasons including people not paying into pension schemes for long enough and for living longer than projected. It also states people do not pay enough into pension pots so it backs up the governments current proposal for increased payments and work longer.
I said earlier who is to blame, which is gross mismangement of pension funds simple as, the government are merely making those who were crapped on Pay, instead of the Guilty ones, it was a tory government who first let em get away wi it, n labour did sod all afterwards, n people are too dense to see it, so they listen to the sanitized version n blame the poor gets that are penalized, pathetic in my view.
Old 29-11-2011, 07:39   #41
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
I said earlier who is to blame, which is gross mismangement of pension funds simple as, the government are merely making those who were crapped on Pay, instead of the Guilty ones, it was a tory government who first let em get away wi it, n labour did sod all afterwards, n people are too dense to see it, so they listen to the sanitized version n blame the poor gets that are penalized, pathetic in my view.

I agree but who should pay to sort out all those mismanaged pension funds?
Old 29-11-2011, 08:11   #42
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I agree but who should pay to sort out all those mismanaged pension funds?
Those who mismanaged em,I.E. the Pension Funds,
Old 29-11-2011, 08:24   #43
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Seriously??? ... ok, I'm prepared to listen to a balanced view of the holocaust; we are all sitting comfortably; or maybe we could start off with the Potato Famine, or the burning of witches ... I think when you say "balance view", you mean "sanitized version" ... so the school cops out, and the kids yawn, go home, and, like Reece, get it off the tv. Of course, if they listen to CNN, or, god forbid, Fox "News" they will get the official right wing version .... not much balance there. Maybe if schools spent more time challenging kids (including "Failure is always an option".), and less time pussyfooting around what is going on in the world they would be way more effective.
Eric there are two sides to every story, the teacher was only putting one side forward
Old 29-11-2011, 08:39   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
I remember questioning everything I was told from the age of 6 on at school.

I have never voted the way my parents voted and my political opinions were only influenced by my Grand-mother who was the biggest anti-Thatcherite the planet has ever seen. I have letters from my Grandad in which he writes to me about her latest laments about that lady in the 1980's...

There was a wonderful documentary called Seven which took a group of youngsters of that age in the early 70's and followed their lives , filming them every 7 years. Fascinating stuff -the 7 yr old child was nearly always recogniseabe in the adult they became...
Funny you should mention that programme, I was just talking about it yesterday. Can you remember the name of it as I'd like to do some research.
To get back to the thread, brainwashing ( on religion not politics!)= was on the curriculum at Paddock House. I've been left with a lot of scars! Here in Sicily,it appears to be a teacher's right to influence (politically ) her students and in some cases the various high schools are chosen because of their political leanings!
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 09:28   #45
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm_counsell View Post
Funny you should mention that programme, I was just talking about it yesterday. Can you remember the name of it as I'd like to do some research.
To get back to the thread, brainwashing ( on religion not politics!)= was on the curriculum at Paddock House. I've been left with a lot of scars! Here in Sicily,it appears to be a teacher's right to influence (politically ) her students and in some cases the various high schools are chosen because of their political leanings!
Religion was on the curriculum at every catholic school Sue, but non-catholics were excused from attending those lessons, well that was when I was at school don't know what happens now

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..