Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-11-2011, 10:30   #46
Give, give, give member

Re: Give me a child until he is seven-

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm_counsell View Post
Funny you should mention that programme, I was just talking about it yesterday. Can you remember the name of it as I'd like to do some research.
To get back to the thread, brainwashing ( on religion not politics!)= was on the curriculum at Paddock House. I've been left with a lot of scars! Here in Sicily,it appears to be a teacher's right to influence (politically ) her students and in some cases the various high schools are chosen because of their political leanings!
It was originally called Seven Up.

Up Series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most of the early ones are on YouTube.

Some are heartbreaking, when you find out how their lives turned out, compared to the bright little kids they were.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-11-2011, 12:41   #47
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
It was originally called Seven Up.

Up Series - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Most of the early ones are on YouTube.

Some are heartbreaking, when you find out how their lives turned out, compared to the bright little kids they were.

Yes, and some were so predictable -the little girl who wanted to marry and have loads of kids like her mum...no aspirations.

Neil in the video you've posted is the one I remember best -incredibly bright and lovely child from Liverpool...ended up getting into drugs at Uni. dropping out and suffering from depression. He did end up relatively well though living in the Lake District and getting into local politics as an adult but was so different to the child-Neil.

I think that most of the boys from the Pubblic school refused to be filmed later in the final set of episodes as adults...
The series was a wonderful idea...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 21:45   #48
Give, give, give member

According to Apted, 56 Up is expected to have its broadcast premiere from 13 to 15 May 2012.

Goody.

Old 29-11-2011, 21:52   #49
God Member

Quote:
According to Apted, 56 Up is expected to have its broadcast premiere from 13 to 15 May 2012.

Goody.
Have they really continued the series...?

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 29-11-2011, 21:57   #50
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Have they really continued the series...?
Yes.

Though as you say, some have dropped out, and there'll just be a photograph, and a brief update.

The one after will see the girls being of pensionable age.

Old 29-11-2011, 22:04   #51
Give, give, give member

The whole 35 Up, on one clip.

Old 29-11-2011, 22:08   #52
God Member

Ain't got time now to watch it -maybe tomorrow - wonder what happens to Neil in the next installment...He's the one I most admire somehow...

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 29-11-2011, 22:10   #53
God Member

Having probs with my connection -must be my age...

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 29-11-2011, 22:11   #54
God Member

Typical to write a "cazzata" it took 2 seconds....

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 29-11-2011, 22:11   #55
God Member

Oh-b*gg*r it.....................! Mistakes are a part of the dues one pays for a full life ----if only!!!

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 29-11-2011, 22:14   #56
Give, give, give member

What's noticable to me, is how children's accents have changed, regardless of location.

The early clips seem like a spoof of some Ealing comedy.

Perhaps it's television, or immigration, that's created a fairly generic national accent, innit?

Last edited by garinda; 29-11-2011 at 22:21.
Old 29-11-2011, 22:17   #57
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Ain't got time now to watch it -maybe tomorrow - wonder what happens to Neil in the next installment...He's the one I most admire somehow...

For tomorrow.

Old 30-11-2011, 14:50   #58
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Eric there are two sides to every story, the teacher was only putting one side forward
Ok ... will agree to that ... as long as we can replace "every" with "almost every", or "the vast majority"

But I still argue that sanitizing issues, taking the sting and the controversy out of them is short changing students, in the same way that they are a being protected from the dire results of uncontrolled conkers. I just like to believe that, given the opportunity and maybe some analytical skills, kids can make up their own minds, come to their own conclusions.

And anyway, teachers are no longer the authority figures they used to be, they are just one part, maybe even a miniscule one, of the apparatus of influence that the "information age" has given us .... I guess I believe that as long as there is no outright attempt at coercion or indoctrination, this ain't a big issue.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2011, 15:17   #59
God Member

Quote:
What's noticable to me, is how children's accents have changed, regardless of location.

The early clips seem like a spoof of some Ealing comedy.

Perhaps it's television, or immigration, that's created a fairly generic national accent, innit?
Managed to watch most today -admit to skiping some as I'd seen it before. See what you mean about the accents...not all though - Nick's Yorkshire dales WAS sexy but got ruined by adding is American...Neil had little trace of the scouser. Remembered most of what happened to him except the Finding God bit -must admit it surprised me... Next installment 2012? Shpuld be interesting -the change from the 50's to now is so huge -we forget how far technology and wealth has brought most people compared to then...

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 30-11-2011, 15:28   #60
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Managed to watch most today -admit to skiping some as I'd seen it before. See what you mean about the accents...not all though - Nick's Yorkshire dales WAS sexy but got ruined by adding is American...Neil had little trace of the scouser. Remembered most of what happened to him except the Finding God bit -must admit it surprised me... Next installment 2012? Shpuld be interesting -the change from the 50's to now is so huge -we forget how far technology and wealth has brought most people compared to then...
Not so much that their accents changed, though they did.

The fact that no children speak like that anymore.

Children in London certainly don't.

Sad really.

Watching it now you notice how engineered, and unrepresentative the choice of children was.

I think it's about 95% of children who go to state schools, so in theory there should have been just one child from a public school, not a third.

It's very much 'posh' versus 'oiks'.

There are few if any kids from the vast range in the middle.

That said, still fascinating though.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..