Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-04-2005, 16:16   #1

Greatest Invention.

To-day we have had power cut,from about 10-30am-to 3-00.pm,in that time our lives came to a halt,no radio,no phone,no cooking no tele nothing no internet no nothing.
Every thing we do in lives is down to electricity our lives came to a standstill,what are we going to do we kept saying to each other,the answer was nothing,we were totally lost,till just around 3-00-clock the tele came on,and life returned as we know it,yes electricity is the finest
invention ever made.
accyplus is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-04-2005, 16:47   #2
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Greatest Invention.

Electricity was discovered not invented. However if we are going to look for the top inventions may I nominate the thermos flask, it keeps hot things hot & cold things cold. but what puzzles me is how does it know?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2005, 17:47   #3
I am Band

Thumbs up Re: Greatest Invention.

I nominate the hand-pump for real ale, behind the bar. This little gem still works even when the lecky doesn't.

I bet all you lager drinkers shes a tear when Norweb get the 'ump and pull the plug.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2005, 18:08   #4
Resting In Peace

I agree with you Less, the thermos flask is really a smart piece of kit, but I am sure you will all agree that the smartest is the Aspirin/Paracetamol tablets in fact all of the pain killing preparations. For example you have a headache and you take two of these wonderful tablets and within half an hour or so there are signs of improvement, how does the tablet know your head is hurting in the first place?..
Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2005, 19:13   #5
Give, give, give member

The zip.

Stops you looking too obscene as you grapple with a buttoned fly.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2005, 19:20   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

football, the worst thing to be without 3 months of cricket uggg
Old 24-04-2005, 19:49   #7
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie
I agree with you Less, the thermos flask is really a smart piece of kit, but I am sure you will all agree that the smartest is the Aspirin/Paracetamol tablets in fact all of the pain killing preparations. For example you have a headache and you take two of these wonderful tablets and within half an hour or so there are signs of improvement, how does the tablet know your head is hurting in the first place?..
My husband irritates the hell out of me because everytime he has to take a paracetamol he asks me how it knows where to go.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2005, 20:46   #8
Senior Member+

Yes, I guess after several years of that it could get rather irritating...!

vorlon24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2005, 23:09   #9
I am Banned

the greatest invention ever has to be the mobile phone

i simply just dont know how i went through life not been able to be nagged and bitched at in almost any location of the country

god bless you mr mobile phone inventor

i hope you burn in hell
chav1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2005, 23:43   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington
My husband irritates the hell out of me because everytime he has to take a paracetamol he asks me how it knows where to go.
Lmao margaret I bet it could get annoying........................oh by the way howdoes it know???

Miracles do happen!!

slinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2005, 23:49   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Smile Re: Greatest Invention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyplus
To-day we have had power cut,from about 10-30am-to 3-00.pm,in that time our lives came to a halt,no radio,no phone,no cooking no tele nothing no internet no nothing.
Every thing we do in lives is down to electricity our lives came to a standstill,what are we going to do we kept saying to each other,the answer was nothing,we were totally lost,till just around 3-00-clock the tele came on,and life returned as we know it,yes electricity is the finest
invention ever made.
when we was in spain a month ago we had power cuts for a few days(intermittently) we also had no water for 4 days believe me accyplus you can make do without electricity but no water youre totally knackered.
Old 25-04-2005, 00:03   #12

Talking Re: Greatest Invention.

It's got to be the Iron what did people do before they had it? Live I'd say!

wayneyboy1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2005, 12:50   #13
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Why would a power cut bother anyone on a beautiful day like yesterday. There are other things to do when the weather is good, get out for the day. I agree about electricity, it's not the be all and end all. The need for water is far superior to the need for electricity.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2005, 12:41   #14
Resting in peace

Well, neither water nor electricity are inventions ... they were just there, waiting to be found.

Life without television is actually possible, trust me ... you can actually sit down and eat a meal together at a table, not on your lap staring at the box. You can talk to one another, and even after a few years it can be quite interesting! You can read, sew, go for a walk, go to the pub (and hope it doesn't have a TV!).

Medicines/medical equipment has it in my book - anyone fancy an operation without anaesthetic? I rate my little blue pump which has kept me alive from time to time very highly! - salbutamol has got to be one of the best inventions around in my book. What about the artificial hip - ask anyone who has had a hip replacement.
pendy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..