Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Chat
Donate! Join Today

General Chat General chat - common sense in here please. Decent serious discussions to be enjoyed by everyone!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2005, 15:20   #61
Senior Member+

Re: HBC makes me ill....seriously!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less
When you consider that they were only built in the seveties it shouldn't have needed to much imagination or cash to bring them up to a decent standard for lower priced rented accomodation or first time buyers.
We may find those houses relaced with the new apartment blocks, aimed at first time buyers, plus low priced rented units. Whilst developers are still building the higher priced detached and semi detached, they are also including an apartment block on the development

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/action/pu...PropertySearch
Type in accrington, then within 3 miles, then a maximum value say £100,000, then new homes only, hit search

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-11-2005, 15:50   #62
I am Banned

����
Quote:
Originally Posted by park381
Graham in reply, all new property normally carries the NHBC stamp, and to do so must comply with the current building regulations.
On the housing density please check this link in particular the item
Housing density in the pathfinder site
http://www.elevate-eastlancs.co.uk/s...amework_3.html
This talks about gov. guidance. As with other authorities HBC work under the guidance of central gov.
On regional matters try this link, it shows that the ODPM is responsible
http://www.odpm.gov.uk/index.asp?id=1139476
Thanks for the links. ELEVATE have updated their site at last. Thought it was turning into another Hyndburn Life! The ELEVATE piece was fascinating and a summary of a lot of thinking in Hyndburn, sadly not our current political leadership though.

This is wahat it says about density;
"Decisions the local authority make about the capacity of a potential site will, in turn, affect decisions about housing density. Government guidance tries to avoid the low densities that have been typical of housing development in recent years. Under government guidance, planning authorities are advised to aim for between 30 and 50 dwellings per hectare (dph) net. Anything lower than that is likely to make local services uneconomical and be a waste of the land, while densities of more than 50 dph can threaten the existing infrastructure and the environment.

Ensuring that densities do not drop below recommended levels will be one of the Pathfinder’s main priorities. By the same token, densities of between 30 and 50 dph will be significantly lower than the densities that currently exist in many Pathfinder areas. We need to consider how we can bring about this transformation. It will create an opportunity to improve existing amenities by providing space for other uses but we will also need to ensure that the existing uses and services are not undermined – such as school class sizes, for example."

I think the key phrase is "Under government guidance, planning authorities are advised to aim for between 30 and 50 dwellings per hectare (dph) net." [NOTE Terraces are 80 dwellings per hectare]

Councils obviously have a lot of descretion in their Local Plan on suitable sites and what suitability of housing should be developled, ie flats, bungalows, semi's, terraced etc... I see the ELEVATE site has a lot of other guidance rather than dictat. This is how I have understood it from advice I have been given.

As for Building Regs. Again there is a minimum standard which as you allueded to has seen in the past unsatisfactory new developments and which has precipitated higher standards of regulations. However these are minimum standards and above that, anything else is non-enforecable. The solution sought is to contract to one developer all the regen housing work on tied terms and conditions, obviously higher building specs is an important feature of that negotiation on who gets the contract and through a formal legal agreement it is hoped to build much higher quality build.

Last edited by Graham Jones; 09-11-2005 at 15:53.
Graham Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 17:56   #63
Senior Member+

That is the guideline 30 to 50 houses/units per hectare, set by the ODPM, a good example of this is the Elite Homes development at Honeycombe Heath in Huncoat, a range of houses / apartments at prices from just over £100,000 to £196.995 for a detached house. Building the apartment blocks allows the developer to comply with the guidelines, whilst still providing the top of the range houses that bring in the profit. Just out of interest the number of floors in various apartment style blocks that are "sold out" is indeed very surprising............have a look
http://www.elitehomes.co.uk/devhouse...ycombe%20Heath

Albert Einstein.

Old 09-11-2005, 18:33   #64
God Member

Surely once the recomended density for an area has been determined, the design, materials and quality of the build is determined by the customer. I always thought that was what asking for tenders was all about.

If HBC, as the customer, asks for tenders for a new build slum, then that is what the successful builder will give them.

I ask again, what do we have a planning department and committee for, if they cannot plan housing development that enhances the borough rather than producing buildings that are of significantly poorer standards than the houses they clear to make way for them? There is no excuse now for not making all new build 100% energy self-sufficient. The lessons of the mistakes made during the sixties building boom are sufficiently well circulated as to make any repetition look like what it is...incompetence!

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 09-11-2005 at 18:37.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 19:01   #65
Senior Member+

Graham
The building regulations, have changed a lot over the years, the minimum standards you indicate are standards set down for each and every developer. The regulations are comprehensive in their coverage, and depend on the type of building in question, a private dwelling, a commercial unit, or an industrial unit. One of the main sections of the buliding regulations is "section L", L1 is for private dwellings, and L2 for commercial or industrial. Both deal with energy efficiency, and standards required. They do make interesting reading if you have the time. Anything over and above these standards would be in finishes or in fittings such as kitchens, bathrooms, wall finishes etc.Which if you want then you pay over and above the asking price.

Albert Einstein.

Old 09-11-2005, 19:25   #66
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
Surely once the recomended density for an area has been determined, the design, materials and quality of the build is determined by the customer. I always thought that was what asking for tenders was all about.
a-b the design is down to the developer bearing in mind that the developer may be buying the plot of land, his motif..... profit, plans will be submitted both to the planning dept. for planning permission, and to building control for compliance with the building regulations, materials the planning dept. may ask for samples of materials to be used on the development, the quality is down to the building regulations in force at the time of build and what is most important the local building control section. It is down to the authorities building control section to ensure what is being built complies with the regulations, oh and of course the NHBC, who at the end of the development issue a certificate for each property on the development.

If we are talking a local council tendering the building of say 50 houses on a site the council own, then that is a different matter. The buildings / houses would need to be designed "in house" plans drawn up for the full development and then submitted in the normal way for planning and building regulations.That would make the council totally responsible for the development.

We could then go to "the design or performance brief", where a council could issue a brief for tender for a particular development or project

Albert Einstein.

Old 09-11-2005, 21:06   #67
God Member

There are pro's and cons on this wether it be council built private built or a joint initiative. At the end of the day the buildings have to be of the right standard a competetive price wether for sale or rent.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 21:12   #68
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J
There are pro's and cons on this wether it be council built private built or a joint initiative. At the end of the day the buildings have to be of the right standard a competetive price wether for sale or rent.
Nail on head

Albert Einstein.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..